Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd been looking at travel cases that can fold 8 or so pipes for approaching travel plans and for using for pipe club meetings. I don't see me carrying around a purse of pipes just on a day out and about, but when leaving the state or for when I just "need" to have my stuff. The pipe cases online were way too much for what it is. They barely give you any room for larger pipes or bents.
So, I started checking out camera bags. I have a few for my photography stuff, and I knew that they had all sorts of pockets for gadgets and such, perfect for pipes. This one just happened to be canvas and masculine, IMO. You can also get sporty looking camera bags and even leather.
They tend to run between $20-50, and they have this cushioned liner that adds support and protection for my pipes, and maybe a little insulation from the heat if I have to leave them in the car.
I can easily get 8 pipes ( I will most likely put them in their socks so that I can stack them), I can get six rectangle tins or four round ones, pockets for tamps, lighter fluid, lighters, a pipe stand, lots of pipe cleaners, my iphone, etc...
It might be something to consider if you are about to head out on vacation. This one ran me $22 from eBay, and arrived three days after placing the order.
case1.jpg

case2.jpg

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Great idea Michael - I've been looking at pipe bags and came to the same conclusion; they're too expensive for what I want. Camera bag it is!
Andy

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Great idea, Michael.

I'm going to look through my old photo gear. I think I have one similar to the one you posted. It may be a tad smaller but would be much better than the cigar box I am currently using.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Perfect. For your sturdy old take-along pipes, an even more minimal pipe kit can be based around a six or eight dollar toilet kit from Walmart or Target, or upscale to leather for a few bucks more at Marshall's. Not as adequate padding for toting around, but inside carry-on luggage, probably will do.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have a $25.00 LL Bean Toiletry Bag, medium, that comfortably holds 3 to 6 pipes depending on how you want to arrange them, several tins or pouches, and has sealed pockets for filters and pipecleaners, etc. Works really well.
http://global.llbean.com/shop/Personal-Organizer-Toiletry-Bag%2C-Medium/73882.html

Status
Not open for further replies.