PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdude007

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2011
Morning guys & gals.
Hopefully someone with a greater knowledge then mine will be able to answer this question.

When it comes to aromatic blends there seems to be flavours that don't really transfer from the casing/topping to flavour when the tobacco goes through combustion. With my very limited experience I have noticed with alcohol based flavours the tin note will be exceptional, but once the fire triangle is complete the aroma/flavour slips away to leave a cardboard-like flavour instead.
Have you guys noticed it with particular flavourings or perhaps across a brand of tobacco?
Appreciate any input.
Peace out
Dave

Jul 15, 2011
Some aromatic flavors, at least to me, translate into the flavor of the smoke better than others. Examples? Maple, Rum, Whiskey (depending on which blend it is), Chocolate, and Vanilla are all smokes that offer hints of their characteristic flavor when smoking. Blends flavored with things like coffee, certain fruits, butterscotch, caramel, almonds, etc. don't translate the flavor in the smoke quite as well. This is also going to be affected differently from palate to palate, and body chemistry plays a role as well. The key is to experiment and see what flavors of aromatic you like best. Peterson and MacBaren aromatics, at least to my tastes, tend to transfer the casing to the flavor of the smoke very well, where as McClelland and Cornell and Diehl aromatics, at least to me, don't translate quite so well. YMMV on this one.

jservant98

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2013
Southern Oregon
bigdude007, I have noticed this too. Pipe novelist is right on. I have had a lot of problems with this issue, I had tried a vanilla black Cavendish, consequently it had a very overwhelming vanilla tin note and I thought "this is gonna have some good strong flavor" (i love vanilla) I was very disappointed to find very little to no flavor at all! I am not that experienced either but I would recommend Erinmore flake if you like a fruity flavor, It has pretty good taste! :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.