PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Hi folks, I have been working on this traditional cutty with a spur for sometime now. I posted it on the Pipe Makers Forum and from feedback received there; this is where it is at. Almost at the staining stage. Also from feedback from the folks there was that I was able to make a nice, tight, seamless stem/shank interface. (thank you pipe makers forum!)

I just thought I would post a few pictures. I also tried to remove as much briar as possible to save weight. Here is a short quote from Smoking Pipes Shapes Guide website says about the cutty.

"Cutty’s typically have not an ounce of excess briar left in place."

Anyway this is where it is at.

fNq7JFe.jpg

D4TeNdk.jpg

giOSxri.jpg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Well, it looks smaller than it is, considering the notes beside it say 8' wide and 13' in length... :rofl:
Seriously, very nice and clean work. Although, to my amateur eye, the stem does look a tad fatter than the briar. (Probably optical illusion)
Nice, light clencher? 20 grams or so?
jay-roger.jpg

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
jaytex969, yeah those numbers were for my fencing project.

Right again on the stem: it has to be taken down more.

badger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2016
Boy that's a beaut! Are you selling it or making it for your own use?

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
I like it. Inspired to begin working on briar myself. I have some unfinished apples on the way to play with, (bust up, gouge and throw into the trash in disgust) next week. Then we'll move onto wrecking whole blocks. :)

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks guys for the kind words.

Badger, if I can manage to not destroy it in the next few iterations; taking the stem down a bit more, final sanding before stain, stain, etc., yes I will be putting it on my website for sale.

Jay, as it sits now it is 27 grams.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Just needs a very light colored stain an I'd take it. Anybody have a link to his site?

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I did get the stem smoothed way down so it is IMHO much better now. As far as the staining, I used a black bottom coat and the top coat is orange.
www.christopherpipes.com
Isn't quite up to date. I have a few more new pipes to add to it but again, if I manage not screw it up, it will be there.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I have a question if you don't mind. What is the purpose of the 'spur'? I see it on clay pipes too and my estate version has the spur.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
According to Pipedia the original purpose of the spur was to strengthen the heel, or base of the bowl. These days it is strictly ornamental.

https://pipedia.org/wiki/File:Cutty.gif
I'll post pics once it is finished.

Thanks again for the comments all.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Guys, what can I say, and Scrooge all I can tell is that 3 more are queued up waiting their turn on the lathe.

One of those unfortunates happened when Murphy showed up this morning. I use a piece of 5/16" dowel that I place in the shank end to hold while staining. This morning, after letting the pipe sit overnight to dry, I went to remove the dowel and because it was stuck a little bit instead of cautiously wiggling it, I twisted it too much and the shank cracked. Very very sorry, Scrooge. Anyway for what it's worth; I decided to continue and finish it because I wanted to see what it looks like and get my sweeties opinion. I'm color blind and I can not see the orange. The stamp is nice and crisp and clean. Scrooge, please see my offer below.

Anyway, first the specs:

Length:6.0"

Height: 2.0"

Bowl Diameter: 0.75"

Outside Diameter:1.125"

Chamber Depth: 1.75"

Weight: 27gr 0.9oz

Pass a pipe cleaner: yes

Delrin tenon

Stem material: vulcanite

Sock/glove: yes
ACScSoN.jpg

wieziIr.jpg

PsDPyF5.jpg

vmgSzWa.jpg

lRxIuO5.jpg

You can see the crack here.

au1jA1B.jpg

Not a very good close up but some very nice, tightly spiraled birds-eye

sXpyL8j.jpg

Scrooge, here is what I would like to offer you. Since you really did express your like of this one I will make you one (you can call what you want stain wise) and it's yours if you will pay the shipping on it, which, since it is only 27grams would only be about $15.00.

I hope that makes it up to you but not being able to meet what I initially talked about with you is for me, unacceptable.

Kind Regards

Chris

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
scrooge, Here are pics of two blocks of briar. You pick the one you like best.

Both blocks are Grecian Plateaux briar from Mark Tinsky. I gave each side a little squirt of water to hopefully help.

Block one:

hAjFA0v.jpg

Rh54rlc.jpg

LoPTEHG.jpg

uMHkVJP.jpg

Block two:

nBm5eq5.jpg

7TO84mB.jpg

dZOJAOm.jpg

Lea2f0r.jpg

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Well Chris I'm no pipe maker. But that #2 block has Fancy pipe written all over it. Beautiful grain. #1 has a tighter grain an would best suited for the cutty style. But all that said, Sorry I'm gonna leave it up to you. I really liked the other one and I'm sure I'll like the next one even more. Just do your thing an we'll both be happy in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.