Totally New. Information Overload. What to Do?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulutime

Lurker
Sep 13, 2017
Evening, gentlemen. Totally new guy, never smoked. I was on a backpacking trip in a high mosquito area and someone had some cigars and cheap corn cob pipes to keep away the bugs. They worked very well and I found myself really enjoying that pipe for more reasons than not having to put on DEET. You could say a pipe was the healthy alternative. I've just done some surfing on pipe social sites and retail shops and wow. It seems that, like among performance cars and firearm owners, there is a significant amount of rapport among those with pipes. And information.
How do I get started as a beginner in this and without spending a lot?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Cobs and bulk tobacco. I wouldn't buy the drugstore bulk, however, but perhaps C&D bulk. Read/smoke,read/smoke, and ask questions. Plenty are willing to share what they know. Learning good smoking technique/managing your instrument, the pipe, takes years, and then therein the dizzying array of tobacco. Have fun. Looking forward to more of your posts.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
A pipe is seriously a great way to keep the bugs away. And it tastes good too. Stick around, you will learn a lot here just from reading.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Check out "Pipe Smoking Basics & Beginner Questions" at the very top of the forum page. Second topic down. Cobs are cheap, Missouri Meerschaum, and small samples of bulk to see what you like. See site sponsors @ left had side column. Happy exploring. and Welcome to the site.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
I am only slightly newer than you. But I feel that I am already at a turning point in my pipe smoking. At first when I got a small amount from a friend I would smoke it like fiend, frequently, in small amounts and inhaling most of the smoke. Now I am more relaxed about it, don't inhale so much and smoke at a slower pace. I still smoke small amounts as I have a Tom Thumb pipe. I buy my own tins now and am surprised how affordable they are. The tobacco lasts a long time for me, so buying quality tobacco is definitely worth it. I am still at a point where I don't have a clue as to what type of tobacco I like best, I like every one I've had so far. A word of caution, the more time I spend reading about tobacco, the more I want to light up again.

Jan 8, 2013
, the pipe, takes years,
I wouldn't necessarily say the pipe takes years. Do a little research, read here and ask questions here, and with trial and error, you'll be smoking like a champ in no time.
But that being said, I don't necessarily disagree with Saltedplug either. There really is a lot to learn about different pipe shapes, pipe manufacturers... be they factory or artisan, and then there are different shapes and chamber sizes that factor into how well a pipe might (this is debatable but I agree on some of it myself) smoke a certain type of tobacco blend. Then there are all the different types of blends made by all the different types of tobaccos and how the smallest change in one component can totally alter a blend's taste and burning characteristics. Then there are also differences in packing methods, tamping methods, lighting methods, differences in airflow from how the pipe was drilled and how that effects the burning characteristics.
So yeah haha... there really is a lot to learn. But start out by keeping it simple, and everything else will come in time. A couple pipes, and a couple different blends will get you on your way. Before you know it you'll have multiple pipes, and multiple blends, and pipes you only smoke a certain blend in... and people who don't smoke a pipe will think you're weird because you'll always be talking about it. Basically, we're all kind of like a crazy cat lady, only instead of a house full of cats, it's pipes and tobacco...and... and... Ohgod I need help! :cry:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Loneredtree has steered you in the right direction. Make the pipe as complicated or as simple as you wish. It depends on what you wish to get out of a bowl. I opt for simple. I smoke a pipe for the enjoyment of the pipe, I do not attempt dissect the blend, marry tobacco types with bowl shapes or sizes, I want load up, light up, and, particularly with my evening bowls, read a good book with the pipe and a dram of port simply adding to the simple experience.
The learning curve is easy and fairly short, nothing arcane about the pipe. It'll take a couple of bowls before you find the right packing technique. Learn to pack and light, and soon you will be comfortable, then, you can start to explore the many facets should you wish. Tobacco types, blends, pipe shapes and styles.
There's nothing healthy about the pipe, it's a selfish amusement. It can get expensive. And, judging from some others can become an obsession. Nothing wrong with that or being a bit selfish in my opinion.
Or, you may find "Deet" is sufficient for the bugs and the pipe isn't for you. Either way you'll learn something. I use bug repellent and smoke all things tobacco when out working. Our "noseeums" are big enough to see and skeeters can lay waste to a caribou and drive a moose insane.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd say forget about packing "techniques" unless such turns you on. Same with lighting. Only technique is to hold the heat far enough away from the tobacco to just get it going. Tamping technique? Simply occasionally push the tobacco together to facilitate burning. If your tobacco is dry enough, that's the biggest technique if you want to call it that.
Years? Hell no. You can do fine with a pipe in a few days. Just take it easy and enjoy. And, yes, you can also take years or decades to learn more about every facet of pipes, tobacco and getting more out of them; history, camaraderie, etc.
Welcome to the forum!

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
All the above. The only thing I will add is that certain types of blends will "ghost" a pipe, meaning that the flavor of the tobacco you last smoke will remain and come through on your next ( or next several) bowls. Aromatic tobaccos and anything containing Latakia will do this to any pipe, though the effect is lessened in cobs and Meers. This is generally considered bad by most, but can be a good thing. If you like the smoky essence of Latakia and wouldn't mind a bit of it in the next blend... no problem. I just don't want you to ruin a good briar by instilling a taste in it that you may have a hard time getting rid of.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Good advice. I would also add that if you enjoy the pipe after trying a few cobs, get a Savinelli or Stanwell pipe or two. These factory pipes look and smoke great and are affordable.
Enjoy the journey. I've smoked a pipe on and off for 47 years and am still learning. But you can master the basics in a couple of weeks or so, if you experiment daily.
Pax

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I'd say forget about packing "techniques" unless such turns you on.
I don't get why you would say that. Packing technique is definitely needed. I've watched a few younger family members almost give up on smoking a pipe because they kept jamming their pipe with what is probably 5x the needed amount of tobacco. If any of them spent 1 minute watching a youtube video on how to pack a pipe they could have avoided this completely. Would they have eventually figured out what they were doing wrong if I didn't intervene? Possibly but why not learn how to pack a pipe properly first.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Yes,based on my personal experience and contenplations,and just like as the highly esteemed forum member Mr.Warren stated,I take freedom to repeat;The's nothing healthy about pipesmoking,it's a selfish amusement,and sure enough,It can get very easily expensive(and much more than your average basic cigarillos, cigarettes or Ryo tobacco)moreover,as we can se here one way or another,pipe and tobaccoes can eventually become an obsession,nothin' wrong with that though, that's the way it is.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Keep it simple. A few Missouri Meerschaum cobs will do for a start. Besides that, you need small quantities of several blends, bulk tobacco or pouches will do. Read up on different blends at our sponsor online retailers (for example). Besides that you need pipe cleaners, a pipe tool like a pipe nail or simple Czech tool, to scoop and tamp. Even if you find a blend you really like, keep quantities small. Your tastes will develop and change, and what tastes good now might seem dull later. A small basket will do to hold your pipes, and a ceramic bowl to store them safely while still warm and another to mix tobaccos for fun. Matches or a lighter (matches are easier to control). Take it slow. Read the online retail sites for fun; you'll pick up a lot of terminology on pipe shapes, tobacco blends, pipe brands, etc. Learn a few basics about filters and non-filter pipes, so you'll know what you're buying. Take it slow. Learn as you go. Don't make a contest out of it. Relight without guilt. See how you like it. If you quit, keep the pipes, and keep the tobacco in a tight sealed jar. You might try it again some time.

quint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2017
A pipe is seriously a great way to keep the bugs away.
Correct. Just be sure to avoid sweeter blends (attracts them) and smoke a stronger English blend like Nightcap. The smell and the nicotine kills them. :mrgreen:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
RE: Packing "techniques". The reason I say that is all you need is sufficiently dry tobacco and then just load it, tamp it, light it. Leaving out flakes and plugs which require some actual technique. Jamming too much tobacco or stomping on it seems obviously wrong, but I guess could be called technique to not do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.