Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
Wanted to see what everyone's top English blends would be. I don't have a top five as I've only had a few.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
It's really hard to narrow it down to 5 blends, but here are 5 of my go to English blends.
McClelland - Blue Mountain

McClelland Frog Morton - Across the Pond

Seattle Pipe Club - Plum Pudding

Hearth and Home - Larry's Blend

Dunhill - Early Morning Pipe

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Smokers Haven - Exotique

STCP - Bengal Slices

Smokers Haven - Cognac

SPC - Plum Pudding

Smokers Haven - Exotique (yup, so good, I listed it twice.)
Honorable mention goes to Esoterica - Penzance

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
Hmmm... As of right now, early into my pipe smoking career:
- Bengal Slices

- GLP Maltese Falcon

- H&H Cerberus

- H&H Larry's Blend

- MacBaren HH Vintage Syrian

Mar 1, 2014
I tend to separate "Latakia Blends" into a different category from "English Blends" even though they're usually listed in the same category, so I'll do both.
Lat-Bombs:

Cornell & Diehl Star of the East.

Captain Earl's Stimulus Package.

G.L. Pease Quiet Nights

G.L. Pease Gaslight.

Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding
English Blends (not dominated by Latakia):

McClelland Frog Morton's Cellar.

Hearth & Home Black House.

Seattle Pipe Club Mississippi River.

Presbyterian.

Peter Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme.
Ironically most of my top 5 English Blends don't fit the classic description very well. Frog Morton and English Oriental Supreme are also Aromatic (or at least I think EOS is), Mississippi River is more of a VaPer, and Presbyterian may or mat not have any Latakia at all.

Black House probably fits the common "English" description best and it's designed to emulate an old classic. As far as I know Presbyterian hasn't changed much over the last century, it mostly features musty and sour flavor Orientals.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Penzance

Chelsea Morning

Quiet Nights

Bowlegged Bear

Frog Morton

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
Yenidje Highlander

SPC Plum Pudding

H&H Ten - Midnight

Mississippi River

Nightcap

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
These blends all have latakia in them. None of them are in the overwhelming, 70% latakia range - but none of them will make you question whether any latakia is present, either. There's also no crossovers.
Dunhiil Standard

Dunhill Baby's Bottom

Peterson Old Dublin

H&H White Knight

McCranie's Murdock's Pipe

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
Thanks for posting, everybody.
Another reason why I asked, other than curiosity, was to find some common blends amongst everyone. If you can, I was wondering if there was a particular blend that would be the "spokesman" for English blends. Is there a blend that is a great example of what an English blend is?

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Dunhill Nightcap. No need for more than one English. Once a blend has more than a pinch of Latakia they all taste predominantly of Latakia. May as well smoke the macdaddy.

I don't think any blend can be the quintessential of any genre. I mean, if Nightcap were the quintessential English, then why would we need thousands of other latakia based blends? Everyone could just smoke Nightcap, or 965, or whichever one the consensus says. No, individual tastes, different ways the blends react with the ingredients, and vastly different ingredients makes them all different in one aspect or other. About the only one that seems to be marketed by so many blenders as trying to emulate, and that is Balkan Sobranie, but that one seems to be magically elusive. So far, no one has made an exact copy, and I suspect that most of the marketing gibbery gook is just marketing to sell the blends, which all seem to have a vastly different range of flavors.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
While Dunhill Nightcap is a very enjoyable blend and a favorite of mine, there is plenty of reasons to smoke other English blends. Of course taste is subjective and everyone's tastes buds are different, but not all English blends taste the same. At least not for me. Some are Latakia heavy while others may be heavy on the orientals etc. They all have their differences it just depends on whether your tastes buds can detect them.
Good mention earlier about the GL Pease Maltese Falcon. That's good stuff which I haven't had for a while. I also left SPC Mississippi River off my earlier list, because I know a lot of people consider it a Virginia based blend more than an English. However, if you want to count it as an English blend then its my #1.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
if Nightcap were the quintessential English, then why would we need thousands of other latakia based blends?
Short answer: we don't. Long answer: Some people really don't care for the taste or smell of Latakia but want to be able to say they smoke an English blend, and blenders are happy to step up to try to accomodate them.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
There seems to be a long hangover from the days when Dunhill was at the top of the heap. Now, Pease and Standard of PA "set the standard" for fine English blends. A handful of guys beat the drum for three or four Dunny tobaccos.

Status
Not open for further replies.