PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

transpose

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
I need some advice. I’m looking for a great Virgina Bulk for Blending. I thought it would be helpful to hear your top 3 that work great for you.
I have always blended with “finished” tins of tobacco. However, I am at the point where I want to make another blend, but I don’t want to crack open tins from my cellar. All my blends have a substantial VA base.
There is one characteristic that I’d like you to take into consideration. I often press my blends so I prefer a solid medium or medium-light VA. When I press stronger VA’s than that, the finished product seems to land a little too bold than what I had hoped for.
Thanks!

transpose

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
I forgot to add...
I officially have a monthly budget thanks to TAD. So this is mostly for cost savings.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I know a number of pipe guys who for years have been using Mac Baren's Virginia No.1 to personally tweak other blends. It'sa lighter bright Virginia that's just under $40 for a pound right now.

You can do a search for “blending Virginias.” C&D and D&R have some, but Stokkebye and Sutliff also have some. But, keep in mind that these tobaccos have at least a minimal casing added. D&R and C&D probably have the best without much of anything added. Look beyond the online retailers that sponsor this forum for D&R, because The Briary has a lot more D&R blending tobaccos that are even listed on these online retailers.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Yup , order up some whole leaf , you will be flush with several good quality Virginia varieties to experiment with
Highly cost effective also.

transpose

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
I have looked into buying whole leaf for pressing into flake, but I also enjoy crumble cake-style with some blends. I also think I’m going to need another press for whole leaf.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is a good question since so many of us (or at least "I") had McClelland as a default source for Virginia leaf for so long. If I had to go without recommendation on a not expensive bulk Virginia leaf for home mixes, I'd probably go with Sutliff, Lane, or C&D, though there are other good ones, Peter Stokkebye, etc. I wouldn't be above using some of the low-end bagged Virginia, but I wouldn't put that forward as a top choice. But I like the other suggestions here, as a guide, Daughter and Ryan, and others.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
As far as components, I'm using Sutliff 515-RC for the Red Virginia, the golden is a no longer available McClelland bulk blending tobacco, and I'm using D&R Too Timer as my Burley. I'm ordering AAA Burley to try out on a recommendation from jiminks as well as Yellow Virginia from P&C. The Perique I'm using for this first go around is also no longer available on the market, but you can find blending Perique on the P&C site. Type in "bulk blending tobaccos" in the search window. I tried looking for blending tobaccos at SP, but couldn't locate any. If they carry them, they're doing a good job of hiding them.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
sablebrush52 Said:

I tried looking for blending tobaccos at SP, but couldn't locate any. If they carry them, they're doing a good job of hiding them.
Here you go:
https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/cornell-diehl/bulk/index.cfm?tag=143
https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/cornell-diehl/index.cfm?tag=143

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Bob,
Thanks for the links! When I tried to use their search engine, using "blending tobaccos" as the search term I got 1153 results because their search engine does not parse between the word "blend" and the word "blending".
More toys to play with!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I call what I do "mixes," or "mixing," since I'm using neither heat nor pressure, just setting the proportions and scooping them in the jar and letting them mingle. I don't think it has anything to do with my talent, but more often than not, I've had some good smokes. I don't get fancy. If I can get three tobaccos balanced and tasty, that's mission accomplished for me. If I have blends leftover in smaller quantities, I'll use one as a condiment in about a pinch, and the more plentiful one as the base. Also often pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.