PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scandiuzzi

Lurker
May 2, 2018
Hi, I've been thinking for a long time that I always get a lot of dottle and then, when I was breaking in a pipe for the first time I got this. I think it comes to a point in the bowl that I just can't seem to get through. I packed with the three step method after drying out the tobacco (was a rubbed out aged burley flake). I have the impression that every time I smoke, I get this same result with any pipe and any tobacco. What could I possibly be doing wrong?

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Moist tobacco - I can certainly relate to your statement. I occasionally get the effect that I have to toss the final third of the bowl due to soggy nastiness that tastes like a rotten peanut. I used to hang out with a life-long aromatic smoker that would routinely toss the bottom third. I'm pretty sure it's the tobacco being a tad moist at the time of smoking. If you want to cake up the heel of your pipe, I suggest half bowls for a dozen or so smokes.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
That is good advice. Also try to smoke slower, as your pace has an impact on moisture. If it is not too soggy, I will break the stubborn tobacco in the bottom up with my czech tool and relight.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Can’t see by the picture what you mean. Use a tapper and pick in order to smoke the whole bowl. You have to move the bottom of the pipe bowl at or towards the end of the smoke. Any unsmoked tobacco keep in a jar to smoke another day, in a corncob or clay.

scandiuzzi

Lurker
May 2, 2018
Thanks for the advices. I think I am smoking it slowly, the main thing is I can't get the heat through the ash layer. I'll try drying up a little more. When people say I should puff lightly, almost like a sip, what's the strength of it? Should it be really, no strength at all or like when drinking a soda? How about tamping? I think maybe that could be it. The really soggy part is only at the heel of the pipe.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Dry the tobacco a lot more before loading. Half bowls, too.
Here's a photo of a new pipe in which I smoked 30 or so half bowls as an experiment. Hard to see, but there is cake in the bottom half, and just darkening in the top half.
VTndGtz.jpg

The white is leftover ash.
It's a fine pipe by Chris Besse, and I've yet to give it justice in photos.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yup, dry the tobacco more, maybe pack the pipe in advance and give it a few hours or a day. Pack it full and even, but not too tight. Gentle tamping, often before it burns out, is a good method, to keep the ember going. On the other hand, don't keep smoking if it tastes bad. What's the point. Often I think I have a lot of dottle, but end up with little, sometimes none. Don't sweat the dottle. A bit is just routine.

Dec 28, 2015
the main thing is I can't get the heat through the ash layer.
Try dumping the ash mid bowl. A thick layer of ash will often keep smothering out the bowl. But once dumped it will smoke like a charm.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I'll only second (or third, fourth, whatever) what has already been said...Dry out your tobacco double the time you've been drying, and then fill that puppy up halfway for 5 smokes or so, and if the ash gives you heck then dump it gently partway (may need the help of a little stir) and then retamp and relight. Get a good heel cake and then smoke as usual, but continue drying the tobacco more.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I'm sure some will disagree with this, but I've come to the conclusion that it's not possible for pipe tobacco to be too dry. YRMV.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I have this problem sometimes, well, more than I should.
I need to dry out the tobacco but usually I'm too impatient. So when this happens, I just scrape it out and move on. I don't save dottles, they taste bad when relit.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Skipper- Try drying a couple of tins at a time- the whole thing. The tobacco on top will get dry first; use that, and then let it air out some more. This works well in a house with ca. 50% RH.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
I smoke my pipes to sit back, relax, and free myself from Life's vexations, and worries. I refuse to let dottle be one of them.
I used to care, but now....I don't even think about it.
Frank

NYC

scandiuzzi

Lurker
May 2, 2018
Thank you all for your help! What I've been doing is just not overthink about it, and got a much better cake build up. I did benefit from drying the tobacco more. What I'm doing is putting it in the microwave for like 5 seconds and it got a better taste, less bite and requires fewer relights. I'll post another photo soon of the bowl after my 4th smoke, it's just missing a little black color at the heel, but it seems it will get its color soon.

Why all of the concern to get cake down in the bottom of the bowl? If you cannot even smoke a bowl to the bottom, there is absolutely no need to get cake down there.
I think this is a newbie concern. I remember having this concern as well, until someone told me what I just told you.
Cake just happens, pretty soon you will be fighting back cake and scraping it out. It's a pain in the a$$ now, and I could care less if I have any cake in my pipes. I can smoke all of my pipes with enough skill now that cake doesn't make a huge impact or difference to me.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I only at times got a clump of tobacco when I dumped the bowl such that it resembled my picture of dottle. Once or twice I saved them for a dottle only smoke, but I didn't like the flavor. I was expecting stronger flavor and nicotine, given the smoke from above caking the dottle while puffing. Didn't happen. Stopped trying.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I'm trying to build cake at the bottom of my pipes lately to see if there's actually any difference in taste, just for fun, but seems it won't happen. The heel is remaining "smooth" and I'm completely ok with that, starting to believe that a full caked pipes are a myth (or maybe possible with some specific tobaccos or smoking technique).

A so called premium pipe tobacco usually leaves almost no dottle in my chambers and can be enjoyed from the top to the bottom when dried enough, can't say the same for aromatics. But who cares, I don't hesitate to throw away a tasteless goopy dottle from cheaper tobaccos, even if it's a third of the bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.