PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Still another question from the newcomer (I dislike using computer-specific terms and abbreviations, not understanding many of them, and out of dedication for the English language): Is tongue bite caused by using the wrong tobacco, or by inhaling the burning tobacco the wrong way? I had terrible tongue bite during my first couple of weeks of smoking, although this has gradually subsided. I was smoking Captain Black Gold at the time, by the way.

P.S. I Googled a video "How to Smoke a Pipe" and got some interesting information about tamping the pipe; up to that time, I just tapped ashes out of the pipe as I was smoking, not knowing that you are supposed to tamp the pipe as you are smoking. It was about then when the worse of the tongue bite started to subside.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
True "tounge bite" and not tounge burn, can be caused by many reasons. Including, improper packing (too loose or too tight, too wet or too dry tobacco, smoking too fast, too much moisture collecting in the pipe and not using a mid smoke run through with a cleaner. It also could simply be a reaction to certain types of tobacco. VA's are the kicker for me. I love them, but just can't smoke them.

nzpiper

Might Stick Around
Aug 16, 2011
Hi there, sparrohawk,
Tongue bite is the curse of the newbie (although seasoned vets are by no means safe). It is caused by hot air irritating the tip of the tongue. There are various causes for this like smoking too fast or some heavily cased aromatics. But instead of me telling you, I invite you to read about it here.
Stick with it and before you know it, you'll look back and think about it with a smile, at least that's I do. :puffy:

Aug 1, 2012
I experienced it again tonight for the first time in a while. Mine was the tobacco being a touch too dry.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I think the cause is varied, but the two largest things I did to reduce tongue bite:
1. Slooooowed down while smoking. It's okay for the pipe to go out.
2. Stopped smoking cheap aromatics and got better Tobacco. Virtually anything works better for me than a cheap, bulk, aromatic.
After those two things, I rarely experience bite.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Lots of good advice. I especially like what Tarak said about slowing down and avoiding cheap aromatics (like your Captain Black, I'm afraid). They're LOADED with sugars and sweeteners that burn HOT.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yeah it's a pretty much a newbie thing, I used to get it when I started, I find it was usually because the tobacco was too moist. I don't get it anymore now that I've got the hang of getting the right moisture level. Smoking too hard, as in taking too much smoke in also is a factor, getting the hang of smoking slowly is the key. Also getting the pack just right, I find if it's too tight a pack you have to draw too hard, which creates a hot smoke.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Tongue burn is from smoking too fast and too hot. Tongue bite is a bit different and, if I recall correctly, is due, at least in part, to the acidity or alkalinity of the pipe tobacco smoke and some chemistry taking place on your tongue. Generally, it seems that tongue bite is also increased by smoking too hot and to fast but some, like nsfisher, have trouble with certain types of tobacco thus it seems that some are simply more sensitive than others to the pH of the smoke even if they don't smoke too fast and too hot. If you read a lot of reviews, you'll see someone comment that a blend does not bite, followed by someone who claims that it bites like a pit bull.
You might like to look at these articles by Russ Oulette:

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/keeping-your-cool

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/common-misconceptions-redux/
In addition to trying to slow down and smoke cooler, slower is always better, says he who puffs like a freight train, you might want to try some other tobaccos. I pretty much have a cast iron tongue and don't recall ever having been bitten, so I'm not a good resource, but I'm sure that some here can recommend some blends for you to try that might be a bit easier on your tongue.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
There was an article I read on this a few months back on the forums here but I'll be damned if I can find which one it was again. All I know is after I opened the draught hole in my pipes the tongue bite and burn went away. I deduced it to having to draw too hard on a bowl packed too tight. Once it was lit (and I didn't scorch my mouth) I could smoke it for about 5min before I felt the bite. Also switching to better quality tobaccos helped. I don't smoke any OTC brands/blends. I pack alot looser and puff alot slower and in doing so it eliminated the problems (for me anyways). Try out a few things and see what works for you, and if all else fails just ask us here and we will be happy to assist the best we can :)

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I've used 4 different tobaccos now: Captain Black, Carter Hall, and CAO's Bella Vanilla and Eileen's Dream, the latter two being tinned tobaccos. Tomorrow I'm expecting a shipment of Molto Dolce, which is reviewed highly. The OTCs are clearly inferior, to be smoked only when there's nothing else around, and I suspect they are the cause of the tongue bite. So I suppose my original premise of finding that one, inexpensive tobacco that I can use on a regular basis is wrong: if I want a good, painless smoke, stick with the slightly more expensive tins or quality bulks that I can get from someone like Carol at Pipeworks.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
So I suppose my original premise of finding that one, inexpensive tobacco that I can use on a regular basis is wrong: if I want a good, painless smoke, stick with the slightly more expensive tins or quality bulks that I can get from someone like Carol at Pipeworks.
Yup. And slow down. :)

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"Look, lots of people like to slam OTC's, but the reality of life is that a hell of a lot of people enjoy smoking them. The best selling pipe tobacco blends in the world are all OTCs."
Nobody said OTCs were unpopular. And with respect, Roth, you're equating popularity with quality. In my experience the two are often mutually exclusive.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
So you're equating popularity with popularity?
I guess I can't argue with that.

lraisch

Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
No doubt there are numerous factors that contribute to tongue bite but my personal experience is that it is more common with aromatics. As an aside, I note that you are willing to use Google as a verb, despite your aversion to computer terminology. How quickly we become acclimated!

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I'm not buying the fact that cheap pipe tobacco causes more tongue bite. Any tobacco that is packed wet will cause steam burns if not dried properly. I think we are hearing from the anti Aro/OTC crowd again.

I have more problems with the high quality red virginia blends than anything else. I have a problem with the chemical burn caused by these tobaccos and I always will. Smoking slowly and breath smoking helps lower the burn considerably but I still get some burn.

There are many causes of tongue bite and here is the best article explaining the problem:

Tongue Bite :The Bane of Pipe Smoking

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I'm not anti-anything. I've got two bulk aros, and tinned aro, and an OTC in my cellar. My personal experience has been that I've had less bite as I've slowed down, and smoked other tobaccos.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
I have been told that the best way to smoke a pipe is with it barely lit. If you smoke it this way it will last longer, taste better, and burn (your tongue, your pipe, your tobacco) less

Status
Not open for further replies.