PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I set this day up in my head two months ago and decided St. Pat's was the last time I'm going to smoke cigarettes. From here out, just my trusty pipe. I'm going away for a week with my girlfriend to her home town in Western NY where life is slow so I'll have a whole week away from my usual triggers and the usual grind of life so I'm hoping that with a clean week under my belt, I can grit my teeth and sweat it out when I get back.
On a side note, we're going to be based in the Southern Tier (Wellsville if anyone has heard of it) so I was wondering if anyone can point out anything of interest. She's jaded so she can't think of anything. When we go up to Buffalo, I'm going to stop into Smoker's Haven is West Seneca and I want to see Fort Niagara. We're also going to spend a day and night in Rochester too and I want to hit up Dinosaur BBQ and the science museum but, since we're staying, any cool bars?
Thanks in advance for the support and the travel advice.
A second side note, anyone else in New York notice the increased police presence? If not, you will so enjoy your Saint Patrick's Day safely and responsibly.
Thanks again.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Good, leave the Ammonia, Hydrogen Cyanide, and the other 488 chemicals behind, you don't need to suck that shit down into your lungs anyway. :|

grafikchaos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2012
Chapin, SC
I can't give you any travel tips, because I've never been farther north than VA Beach. But I did want to give my support to your quitting the nails. I'm on a similar journey right now, and breaking myself from cigs is proving tough, but I think I can do it. And if I can do it, anyone can. Good luck to you!

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Congratulations Mate!. After 30 yrs on cigs, I gave them up completely 1 yr ago. I have been smoking pipe for 16 yrs and it was still a tough transition. Good Luck and I know you shall overcome.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Sounds like a plan to me Reichenbach.

"I love it when a plan comes together."

Just think... more
  1. money

currency

dough

dosh

benjamins (US)

bread (slang, US)

bucks

cabbage (obsolete)

cheddar (slang, US)

clams (obsolete)

dead presidents (US)

finances

funds

dinero (slang)

dough (slang)

cake (obsolete, slang)

folding stuff (slang)

readies (slang, UK)

sheets (slang)

feds (slang)

fedi (US, archaic)

flow (slang)

funds

funding

greenbacks (obsolete, slang)

jack (slang, Australian)

lettuce (slang, US)

lolly (slang, UK)

loot (slang)

moolah (slang, obsolete)

spondulicks (slang, UK)

lucre (slang)

wonga (slang, UK, New Zealand)

paper (slang)

simoleons (slang, obsolete)

swag (slang)

bread (slang)

wad (slang)

pelf

wampum (archaic)
for PAD and TAD...
Refernce

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
reichenbach -Good luck and congrats! If you like history Ft Niagara is a cool place. I smoked a pipe on the wall looking out into the river by the cannon ball warmer. The main house is French built entirely of stone. Stick with the pipe and leave the nails behind.

maineyachtie

Can't Leave
Aug 14, 2010
It gets easier each day that passes. Eventually you can tell yourself, "I'm not a cigarette smoker." That's a great day to look forward to.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Much of what happens in this life is not under our control, but I'm convinced that if, or what we smoke is.

Congratulations on your decision. Stick to it!

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
OK, you're talking my home turf in Rochester, so I'll give you some good ideas of stuff to do in town. Bars? Not so much. Nothing that I'd rate cool enough to warrant its inclusion except, perhaps, The Old Toad, which is a British-themed pub. OK and maybe Lux Lounge. But that's it for bars. Science Museum? Forget it. Go to The Strong National Museum of Play, which is home to the Toy Hall of Fame and some pretty kick-ass exhibits. Even if you don't have any kids, it's pretty neat. They even have almost 30 vintage arcade games that you can actually play. (with tokens you buy, just like way back when) I'd personally skip Dinosaur, but if you've never been, I guess I can understand. Sticky Lips Pit BBQ is my preference, but Dinosaur isn't awful, just not the best in my book. There are really no smoke shops that are worth talking about except Dewey Ave Smoke Shop. Their website is crap and their selection of tins can be limited, but they have some decent bulks and some nice pipes including the 2012 Peterson St. Patrick's Day Pipes.
Hope this helps. Hit me up if you need any more info.
-Jason

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Your biggest enemy will be your brain. It can actually fake withdrawal symptoms, even right after your last cig when you still have plenty of nicotine in your body. I will quit one day too.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Congrats on you're decision to give up the nails. Stay strong, you can do it! I've been off of them a little over a week now myself, and it gets easier each day that goes by.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Congrats on your decision! When I kicked the cigs last winter ( Jan 2011 ) I learned that smoking good quality smooth baccy out the pipe will tip the scales in favor of the briar. I tried OTC brands and they somehow made me want the cigs instead. YMMV. Baby steps on controlling the cravings, and get a stash of high vitamin N baccy as well.

Another tip: make yourself smoke the pipe whenever the nic craving sets in. Stick to non-goopy aros ( I prefer Peter Stokkebye offerings )for a while . You'll change your perception slowly to where pipe is tasty and cigs are yucky. I ran out of baccy somehow while on a trip a few months ago and I bummed a cig off someone. It made me wretch.

FWIW I transitioned from factory cigs to RYO to pipe......

Best of luck to ya!

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
I wish you the best of luck with the goal. I have been butt free for 9 months now from 3 packs a day so it can be done. Find a high nic blend that you like and dont be afraid to enhale, it will help.

smeaton

Lurker
Dec 10, 2011
This is an interesting thread to me. I've never really smoked any tobacco, except the occasional cigar, until taking up the pipe last summer. I've never heard cigarettes referred to as nails. I wish you well in both of your endeavors; Quitting the cigs and in your travels.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
JChaplick... Wikipedia :roll:
I'm into my fifth year... Jan. 2, 2007... 1,536 days and counting.
Reichenbach tomorrow you will be a free man!
Congratulations! :clap:
:puffy:

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I"m makin Monday my quit day on the nails.Been smokin em for 41yrs,but gonna do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.