Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Will be interesting to see how they portray his pipe smoking. My understanding is that he smoked a Missouri Meerschaum. Any truth to that? Also, does anyone know what kind of tobacco he smoked? I'm sure it was a nice sweet aromatic. :nana:

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
ya, he's a pretty talented cat so I expect him to show well. Anyone know if Tommy Lee is a real pipe smoker?

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Thanks for posting the briarfiles blog Roth. Are you the author of that blog? It's been enjoyable to read.

rondyr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2012
Bel Air, MD
General Douglas MacArthur was known to smoke cigars more often than pipes, but he was rarely ever seen without his trademark pipe either in his hand or clenched in between his teeth. He refused to tell anyone exactly what he smoked in his pipe - rumors flew that it was weed and other illegal drugs, to him using the pipe to hide nuclear documents that he sold to the Russians. His pipe was, apparently, the subject of a Congressional inquiry.
As for whether or not Tommy Lee Jones smokes a pipe, you could ask him, but he'd just stare at you until you changed the subject. He's not one for talking about himself in interviews. Lmao.

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
I have heard a few stories, including one from an officer who was his aide at one time, that he smoked cigars more than the pipe. The aide said he only saw him with the pipe a few times.
I also saw somewhere online that he had MM put burn marks on the pipes to give them a used appearance.

When you look at the size of the bowl and the length of the stem, you can see that it is not a practical shape for clenching.
I was never a Marine, but to me, the real pipe smoking general and hero was the Marine's Chesty Puller. Chesty was awarded the Navy Cross 5 times and also received the Army's equivalent, The Distinguished Service Cross, among other awards. I wonder what he smoked.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
MacArthur, like most generals, carefully cultivated a dramatic personae that included his invisible

image of mighty warrior, and the pipe was part of that. His personal story was a little different

from this image. He was the scione of a prominent family, and when he went off to West Point,

his mother came along and rented an elegant residence nearby where little Douglas could retreat

to more refined surroundings than is afforded by barracks and the loneliness of cadet life. Jones

will steep in the biography and probably come up with an interesting portrait if not strictly

historical.

rondyr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2012
Bel Air, MD
General Chesty Puller may not have been awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor as General Douglas MacArthur was, but there is no doubt that he was one BAD dude! Who else has an English Bulldog who is the mascot of one of history's most bad-ass fighting forces named after him?
Plus he had the greatest quotes attributed to him. My favorite:
"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time" - there's some confusion if he truly said this quote, or a variation of it, but as far as the United States Marine Corps is concerned you're damn right he said it. Like I said, a bad, bad dude!

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
There is a lot of controversy about the Medal of Honor awarded to MacArthur. Many, including me, believe he did nothing to earn it.
Chesty never was awarded the Medal of Honor, but 5 Navy Crosses, The Distinguished Service Cross and a Silver Star for one man is extraordinary. And he earned every one.

jogrefoln

Lurker
Mar 20, 2013
Knight Island, AK
LOL I immediately pictured the drummer from Motley Crue playing a pipe smoking General! Had to find out what was going on here. I thought "Some casting director is certain to be fired." "Jones" makes much more sense. lol

treebarksap

Lurker
Jan 7, 2013
Speaking of great leaders... Did Gandhi ever smoke a pipe? He looks like the type of fellow who might have puffed away during the midnight hour while contemplating folks like MacArthur.

Status
Not open for further replies.