Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Our Featured Interview on The Pipes Magazine Radio Show tonight is with Tom Palmer. Tom is the Owner and Managing Director of Peterson of Dublin. Peterson is one of the most popular makers of pipes and tobaccos, and are famous for their patented system pipes. In "Pipe Parts", Brian will talk about the IPCPR trade show. This is the industry-only largest trade show for cigar and pipe retailers.
tom-palmer-peterson-director.jpg

Tom Palmer, Owner and Managing Director of Peterson of Dublin

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Let's ask him if he still beats his wife too. *kidding*
Honestly I haven't heard any interview (Admittedly I haven't listened lately) take a run at the guests.
I realize that a lot of people have reported QC issues the last couple of years and seem to remember Mr. Palmer talking about addressing them. (If they have been or not...is a completely different subject.)
I think the best approach to take (and it seems like you have bubbleheaddiver) is to take your wallet elsewhere. I think my newest Pete was from the 90's and it's been an okay smoker, but regulated to a vacation pipe.
I keep looking at some of the Sherlock lines, but I'm so cheap I wade in the shallow $25 estate pools where I can snag a nice Hilson or poor other soul that needs a clean up and a new home.
I'm looking forward to the interview overall. Peterson is so iconic for me. I can still recall my Grandfather's 315 and him letting me pretend smoke it as a kid.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Another solid show, Brian, thanks for bringing it to us and recording it on some of your rare "downtime". I enjoyed the interview with Tom Palmer, he sounds like an engaged business owner with passion for what he does.
On trade shows, failing attendance, and the surge of internet sales and new media eroding the need for person-to-person contact at a trade show. I think the onus is on the association/organization to generate industry support to create value for attendees and prove ROI for the businesses who booth and attend trade shows like the IPCPR.
Event organizers who fail to recognize this will watch their shows diminish until they are gone. The auto-industry figured this out by opening its doors to the public; the Specialty Coffee Association did the same and also expanded their educational, industry, exploratory workshop and training opportunities as well as adding a competition component.
It strikes me that some of these learnings could be translated to the IPCPR to generate noise, energy and foot traffic during the event. It wouldn't be the same event as it always has been, but it might just get the boost it needs to stay relevant and to become something more, like the largest gathering of cigar and pipe smokers in North America, if they build the right programming.
$0.02 in the bucket.
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.