PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I decided to drive over to the local B&M after work today. It was a good trip. They had really stocked up their pipe tobacco selection. I decided to buy a couple tins; a tin of Savinelli Giubileo d'Oro and a tin of Dunhill Flake. I purchased the Giubileo d'Oro to try and the Dunhill Flake to cellar. The Giubileo d'Oro is a Virginia/Latakia blend and is really nice. It reminds me of Mac Baren's Latakia Flake, but a little heavier on the Virginia; which makes since, in that, they are both made by Mac Baren. It's mild to medium in strength and is sweet, smokey, and creamy. I'm smoking another bowl of it on the couch right now and it really is a good blend.
There were a couple pipe smokers there. One guy smoking a Stanwell with the stem inverted that he remarked was to keep the tobacco from falling out and a guy who liked p-lip Peterson's. They were both nice gentlemen. The one gentleman was a lighter guy who liked my IM Corona lighter, but said the he preferred Dupont lighters. He said that Dunhill lighters were crap, and that he knew all this because he refurbishes lighters. He tried to sell me a Dunhill and invited me over to check it out. A little too much too soon for me though. There were also a couple other guys stop in to buy some bulk pipe tobacco while I was there. It was the first time that I saw more pipe and pipe tobacco action at my B&M than cigar action. It gave me hope.
Today's experience has made me decide to make a point of stopping in my local B&M at least once a month or maybe every couple weeks. It's a great way to try something new.

pancakejake

Lurker
Mar 22, 2017
I like the B+M places but never run into any pipe smokers there. Granted it's usually just a local nic-fix shop for RYO/vape, pipe stuff being the Etc... I really have to travel for a true tobacconist shop.
I was into Paul's in Flint MI one Saturday morning, had the place to myself most of the time. Wall to wall and floor to ceiling pipes and tobacco of all makes and vintages for sale. While I was there a question crossed my mind about Tobacco shop etiquette. Is it considered bad mojo to purchase only tinned or third party blends instead of house blends? I bought a Cayuga and a few various ounces of Paul's blends but they had some interesting vintage tobacco and also some newer stuff id like to try.
I haven't seen another pipe smoker since my grandpa switched to coffin nails and old Bruce quit in the 90s. Somebody has bought up the JM Apple at the gas station though so they are out there.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Sounds great! I've also decided to visit the B&M a little more regularly. Definitely a great way to try new stuff and get recommendations.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
While I was there a question crossed my mind about Tobacco shop etiquette. Is it considered bad mojo to purchase only tinned or third party blends instead of house blends? I bought a Cayuga and a few various ounces of Paul's blends but they had some interesting vintage tobacco and also some newer stuff id like to try.
You're really overthinking this, just supporting the shop is good tobacco shop etiquette. More often than not "house blends" are simply relabeled bulk blends like Lane 1Q, McClellend's, etc.. I think you did great, bad etiquette is sitting down, smoking, and not buying anything. The B&M in my city has a 10$ minimum purchase for smoking, and then it's only during certain hours you can smoke.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I would support one if there was one to support. Everything around here is either a head shop or a vaper shop. I went in one and they had 1Q for $6 an ounce. And the other pipe tobacco was CB.

M

Where is this B&M?
Beavercreek, Ohio; a suburb outside of Dayton. It's called The Wharf and has been around for a long time. The pipe side of the business had been pretty much ignored for years until fairly recently. I was pleased to see the nice selection of tinned tobacco, and they started a pipe club this year that I'm yet to attend. I may check it out next Monday? They give 10% off on pipe tobacco during pipe club, which I thought was a nice gesture.
Is it considered bad mojo to purchase only tinned or third party blends instead of house blends?
No. The prices reflect the house's cut. Buy what you want. They just want you to buy. The two tins I bought cost me about 30% more than what I would have paid otherwise, but it's worth it to have them around. I can't do it all the time, but a couple times a month is certainly worth it.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Mother - I'm normally there on Pipe Club nights; but I'm out of town next Monday so I won't see you. The Wharf is doing a nice job on those nights and it's been well attended the last couple of months.
Have a great time!

M

Mother - I'm normally there on Pipe Club nights; but I'm out of town next Monday so I won't see you. The Wharf is doing a nice job on those nights and it's been well attended the last couple of months.
Have a great time!
I'm sorry I'll miss you Monday. Hopefully we cross paths the next month.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
Good B&M s are great places to meet others with similar interests. There are a few in my area. The Briary in Homewood and one in Montgomery. I enjoy visiting these places. One boring weekend I'll go ta Jackson and visit Jon D at The Country Squire.

M

Hope you buy some Royal Yacht next time!
I'm still yet to smoke Royal Yacht and actually thought about it. Maybe next week will be the week? I hear it's an overrated blend? :)

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Maybe next week will be the week?
An excellent week to try it! Let us know what you think?
Royal Yacht is inexplicable until tried, and then, people find their paths based on how they react to it.
It is the sword in the stone of pipe tobacco!

Status
Not open for further replies.