PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
I have two pipes: a smallish Drinkless Kaywoodie from the 30s and a bent, big-bowl Karl Eric. I now have several tobaccos that I am "sampling". English blends are Frog Morton and Penzance; for burley I have Mello Burley (house brand); for aromatics I just got some Lane 1Q. Plan to get a Virginia, perhaps McClelland 5100 Red Cake. So far I have smoked the English blend and burley in both pipes, though more in the Karl Eric. Just tested the 1Q in the Kaywoodie (only). Just read here not to smoke any one pipe without a day's rest (though will probably try the 1Q in the Kaywoodie tonight). Of these tobaccos (English, burley, Virginia and aromatic like I think 1Q is), which should I segregate to an individual pipe, or are combinations of these tobaccos compatible enough to preclude ghosting (which I know nothing about)? Thanks!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
John, I am from the camp that dedicates all my pipes to either specific categories, i.e Virginia Flakes, Virginia/Perique Flakes and Virginia/Burley flakes all the way to specific blends in certain pipes. When I reach for a certain blend, I want to be able to taste everything that blend has to offer. If I was to smoke one of my VA flakes in a pipe that was previously used to smoke an English blend, there is no way I am going to get all of the flavors of the VA flake, the ghost of the English will affect the flavor.
Now when I find a magical combination of a certain blend matched to a certain pipe, I will continue to go that route. For example I found that my Lane Era Charatan Dublin smokes Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake incredibly well so I stick with it. Now if you are going to dedicate pipes, you will need a bunch of them. There are plenty of guys who do not dedicate and they are very happy, there are just as many who are like me who do dedicate, it all depends on what you are looking for in your pipes and tobaccos. As with all things pipes and tobacco there are no set rules. Try dedicating and see if you can taste the difference.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I have several pipes dedicated to very specific blends. A pipe for Old Dublin, one for Orlik Golden Sliced, one for Blue Note, and a few others. I also have some pipes that I use for trying new blends, but they're dedicated to categories. One for English blends or my primary blends, one for aromatics, one for VA, VAper, VAbur blends. And some cobs that I smoke some crossovers in.
Some folks can smoke whatever blend out of whatever pipe. If you're smoking an English, you're probably going to get a flavor left behind from the Latakia. I recommend at least putting certain categories of blends into certain pipes.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Sean said
I recommend at least putting certain categories of blends into certain pipes.
Ditto. Major categories for me would be:
  • Latakia (and fire-cured leaf like McClelland Royal Cajun)

Lakeland

Aromatic, and blends strongly flavored with, for instance, deertongue

Virginia and or with some combination(s) of Burley, Perique, Oriental
I should point out that some folks actually like playing with the effects of ghosting, so it's not always a bad thing.

I did that with a deertongue blend and discovered that most (all?) blenders use about 1000% too much deertongue.

In vanishingly small quantities, and given sufficient time to meld, deertongue makes tobacco a heavenly experience.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I have to say, that dedicating specific pipes to Virginias and separate pipes for my English blends has made a huge difference to my enjoyment of VA dominant tobacco. This in conjunction to a change in how tightly I pack my VAs has led to some sublime smokes.
I am not an aro smoker, although I'd like to start exploring high quality aromatic tobaccos. I think I'll keep aros to my (soon to arrive) meer.
-- Pat

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Apparently I'm of the roth school. I don't detect ghosting. It seems if there is any leftover Latakia in a pipe,

and Latakia seems to be the prime offender for "ghosting," it doesn't bother me. Therefore, I don't designate

pipes. This simplifies my pipe smoking life considerably, which I think is good.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
Any pipe that I've smoked heavy amounts of Latakia or Orientals in has always retained a lingering flavor. And I can categorically say that I don't think Dunhill Flake would taste as good in a pipe that typically smokes Black House.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I dedicate pipes for latakia blends, VA blends and aromatics, with no further specification. I have found however in moving a couple from one category to another that the effects can be interesting. A former latakia pipe used switched to aros gave them a more substantial tobacco flavor and took the edge of the sweetness, and an ex-aro smoker loaded with a young VA/Per blend smoothed it out quite a bit. Neither of those transitions are supposed to "work" without somehow exorcising the ghost, but they smoke fine for me.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I totally agree -- if a puffer smokes a lot of heavy latakia blends, by all means, I also recommend dedicating pipes to your latakia blends.
Yes.
Regarding Lakelands, in my experience, even one bowl of Lakeland will ghost the hell out of a pipe. Sure, it can eventually dissipate, but this likely will take a long time.
And yes again.
I only want to taste what I'm smoking. I've put different blends in different pipes before and it just doesn't do anything for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.