PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Crossing the state of South Dakota from east to west today, I hit Rapid City by lunchtime. I decided to check for tobacconists while I was sidetracked. Didn't have big expectations, since pipe tobacco is hard to source back in Sioux Falls, the largest city in the state and closer to my home. Rapid City does its best to be "Metropolis West," as it can, keeping their services up-to-spec for locals, tourists to the Black Hills, and Ellsworth Air Force Base just 10 miles away.
When I stopped at the "Smoke Shop" to check it out (cigarettes and cigarillos there, mostly), I got a friendly tip. Hearing what I was looking for, they immediately referred me to the Tobacco Warehouse, just around the corner from them at 680 N Lacrosse St. There are two other shops, they told me. But they said they wouldn't be the kind of pipe store I'm looking for, catering more to glass pipes and hookahs and tobacco toys of that nature. They assured me Tobacco Warehouse was the place to go.
Sorry. They didn't allow cameras inside the store. I just have the snapshot from my iPhone.
c8365c52-a7b9-4b26-8bef-f35765e58c2e_zpsb0f98cba.jpg

It is brick-and-mortar only, having closed down their company's internet operations due to increases in online tobacco sales. They don't have a website and don't think they need one. They do well.
Most of their pipe business is from a current boom coming from nearby Ellsworth AFB. Airmen there are giving up cigarettes, looking for a suitable and distinguished way to continue their connection to tobacco.
Meerschaums ranging from $100 to several hundred dollars are prominent in the displays. There are a few Grabows tucked away on the bottom shelf in one corner. No familiar, "step up" pipes (No Savinellis, no Petersons, etc). But not much of a pipe selection other than that. I was interested in the pipes on the top shelf of the glass counter display. They were all displaying brand-side down. And when I asked their makes, they didn't know. It was just what their distributor had sent them, and they were low right now.
Two tall bookcase-like shelf and rack displays behind him held the tobaccos. The ones on the customer's right held a number of tobaccos kept in stock at customer request. I didn't recognize some of the names, and didn't think to write them down (because at this point, I thought I was going to get to take some pictures yet, I hadn't asked and been told no yet). The shelves on the left were the usual Captain Black, Carter Hall, Prince Albert -- and some big plastic bags of tobacco for $7 or $8. He talked about how some customers weren't buying them because they were cheap but actually preferred them.
There were also bulk tobaccos in 4 oz and 8 oz bags. Three different cherry blends, if I remember. Or else two, and one of those in two sizes maybe. Some interesting names but I was in a hurry, taking in everything at once. And there was one I really should have picked up: Black Hills Blend. It was a really sweet-smelling tobacco. Maybe I'll pick that up on my way back Friday. Just for the location-name. Gotta have that.
Another to the right of where the customer stands, a glass wall display, housed collectible tobaccos in their original tins and cans. Historical interest.
Tobacco Warehouse had a wider selection of pipe cleaners available than I've seen in the tiny tobacco shops I've visited back home. Never have too many of those, so I got a couple bundles of extra fluffles and churchwardens. He didn't have any thin ones for Falcons, though, dang it.
He was just getting excited about talking "pipe" with me, saying he was going to get me some samples -- and had just slapped a Comoy's Cask No. 1 packet in my palm -- when the store got bum-rushed with customers finishing their lunches and hitting the shop before returning to work.
So, since I would only be in the way, I waved bye to them and let them get on with their successful little business.
Most of the shop was not about pipes. He had novelty lighters and gizmos. One he showed me was a USB cigarette lighter that charges from your laptop. And there was a cigar section behind a door. Lots to offer by way of cigars. And of course, just about any kind of cigarette, cigarette tobacco or rolling aid you wanted. And a small tribute to the bong and hookah crowd, but not much.
Friendly place. The three people working while I was there were just friendly as could be and chatty as all get out. Could have talked to them forever. So I got the feeling right away, that if I lived there, this would be a frequent stop. He'd keep what I liked on hand for me, and maybe sneak in some samples I hadn't thought to try, anxious to hear my impression of this or that. Talk about tobacco legislation and current trends.
Small. But accommodating. No feeling of limitation. They want to be *your* tobacco shop, and I think they really want to learn more about pipes. They just don't have a calling for it yet.
Yes. I did mention Pipesmagazine.com. Several times. Maybe you'll get to meet them here? We'll see.
But the short version to this post is, Rapid City does have a tobacco shop where you can get your pipe fix when you're in a fix. It's not that far off the route. Very easy to find. If you yourself are whizzing through Rapid City, take a moment to check it out, then tell me what I missed in my in/out today.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
The B&M in Sioux Falls charges double online price. You can guess where I do my shopping. I do buy the occasional tin there to have a couple bowls and enjoy the afternoon. The guy who runs the shop is a friendly man who's been there since I started going 13 years ago.
I've done most of my smoking at Stogeez around the corner. Have actually drawn a lot of interest in my pipes and plan to start a club soon.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
The one (which shall be unnamed) on 41st? Ouch, tell me about it. I paid $60 for a $29 pipe there. Impulse purchase. (I love that pipe, but... still). I ran across one and ducked inside up on 12th Street. But again, mostly for those who want to roll their own cigarettes. Less than Walgreens for a pipe tobacco selection -- and no tools, cleaners, nada. (They have Everclear, though).
Now, you're the second one to recommend Stogeez. On So. Phillips, right? I *will* get to those someday. You ever been to the one just north of them?
Right now -- I'm off to try this Comoy Cask No. 1. Smells awesome.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
The only place I consider a B&M is Eastwold's downtown. It's the one you are referring to just north of Stogeez. The rest aren't really worth visiting.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Now he tells me...
LOL
Yes, that's it: Eastwold's. I only live an hour east of there. You'd think I would get over there more than I do. Count me in for your club. There's my motivation!

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
If you can do it, stop at Deadwood Tobacco Co & cigar bar. They have a decent variety of bulk with some tinned in stock. Also have a selection of 'step up' pipes. Western SD is tough for us pipers.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
doctorbob -- great suggestion. I would make greater detours than that to see a good store. Heck, I almost went to go see Sundance. But I couldn't figure out if what I saw from the freeway was all there was. Didn't look like there was any place to put a town there. (The Kid really got his name there? Another piece of history falls into place).
Deadwood it is.
Sturgis has nothing?

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
junkyarddog -- I could see why if there were people when I asked. But no, I couldn't figure that out when it was just store help and me. Thought they'd have been thrilled that I was going to advertise them to the Web. (Which is when I started talking about this site). Nothing doin'.

sdcowboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2011
Rapid City, SD
I second Deadwood Tobacco. It is probably the best B&M in South Dakota. There is also a Tinder Box in downtown Rapid City.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
My wife's family lived in Rapid City during the installation of the Minute Man Missle program. When they had to move, they sold their dog to the owner of the liquor store.
Rapid City was "going to town" when I was a kid - we lived just off the Pine Ridge reservation. Neither of us has been back since we were kids, but had strongly considered it as a retirement option until this winter.
The information on the good B&Ms has made me reconsider, snow or not, it's a good place to live.

surlysoul

Might Stick Around
Jan 22, 2013
Thanks for posting this. I am from there and go back fairly often. I wasn't aware of the tobacco warehouse.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Hey, Tarak! Us neighbor types have *got* to get a club going.
Plateauguy -- so my radio was tuned a good while to a Rez station (forget the ID). And they were playing Native American music. Is it just me, or was it the same song over and over? Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it. Mostly I think it was that it was something you can *only* get in America. That's not something Europe can export back to us. It's genuinely American, uniquely ours. But I swear, the drums were always the same and the singers always followed the same pattern. Is that just a characteristic of the genre? Or am I tone deaf to Native music? (Maybe both!)
I didn't get to stop back on my way home. Dang it. I really wanted to snap up some of that Black Hills mix.
Did go see Devils Tower, though! (and had my picture taken next to the Sundance sign).

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Oh, and clarification:
Tobacco Warehouse took down their website and ended online sales due to increased online sales *taxes* (the word taxes was omitted during an edit of that line).

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
But I swear, the drums were always the same and the singers always followed the same pattern.
They are VERY repetitive. I think it's supposed to help "transport" the listeners.
However, after an hour or more of "ONE-two-three-four", "ONE-two-three-four" ... I wanted to

"transport" out of the room. lol
Glad you had a safe & good trip!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
12pups, interesting pipe scouting mission out there on the prairie. Come to think of it, that is about how

tobacco shops are out in the burroughs of New York City, same spare somewhat random selection. I feel

incredibly lucky to have both a chain and two independent tobacconists in my relatively small city, plus

a major blender (C&D) and a major pipe manufacturer (Dr. Grabow) in state.

Status
Not open for further replies.