PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
My Tobacco Classification / Touchstone Blends
There are as many ways to classify pipe tobacco blends as there are pipe smokers, and then some. However, I have found the following list suits me. I see tobacco blends for the pipe smoker divided into 16 categories. An alternative, earlier, classification was provided by the Pipe Club of Norfolk UK, from which some of the categories originated. However, since this early list, a number of new categories have arisen, such as the Cigar Leaf Blends. Also, a number of pipe smokers have advocated against the terms “English Blends” and “Balkan Blends”, as many tobacco blends actually span the two and there really exists a continuum of sorts. So the terms "English Blends" and "Balkan Blends" have been dropped by many, in favor of the more descriptive terms "Latakia Mixtures", which in turn is divided into "Light / Medium" and "Medium / Full".
I am aware that this is a highly subjective exercise. And it is to be expected that everyone will have a different take on what constitutes a Touchstone Blend. Also, there will be "lumpers" and "splitters" - that is, those who feel there are too many categories and those who feel the need to split even more. What I hoped to do here, for myself really, was to set up a series of benchmark blends that I could later use as "standards" by which to judge future blends within a category. It is hoped that these lists will provide a jumping off point to begin exploring the wonderful world of pipe tobaccos for others as well.
1. Straight Virginias (non-flake, -rope etc.).

2. Virginia Flakes (Light).

3. Virginia Flakes (Full).

4. Virginia Plugs.

5. Virginia Ropes and Twists.

6. Lakeland Style.

7. Virginia / Kentucky Blends.

8. Virginia / Burley Blends.

9. Burley Blends.

10. Virginia / Perique Blends.

11. Virginia / Perique / Burley Blends.

12. Virginia / Oriental Blends.

13. Light / Medium Latakia Mixtures.

14. Medium / Full Latakia Mixtures.

15. Cigar Leaf Blends.

16. Aromatics.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for thinking this thing through and organizing it so well. For me, it is an excellent resource. :clap:

I resist the temptation to further divide aromatics into: cased Burley (OTC), flavored cavendish, and blends with topping.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Thanks gents. I'd like to post the individual touchstone blend choices, but there's a limit to the post lenngth apparantly. Maybe I can do a single post for each of the 16 entries, but then its disjointed. Depends how bored I get at work. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.