PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
The tax is 55 cents ($0.55) per ounce, with a minimum tax per package of 66 cents ($0.66). For example, if the retailer purchases 100 ounces of tobacco in two-ounce packages the tax due would be $55. If the same quantity is purchased in one-ounce packages, the tax due would be $66.
I just read this on the PA Dept of Revenue website regarding the tax on pipe tobacco. The one ounce vs two ounce thing makes no sense to me, but that's pretty typical for Pennsylvania.
How does this compare to your State/location?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
In Illinois, I'd pay 18% tobacco tax PLUS 10.25% state sales tax at a B&M.

As things are, though, Illinois whacks taxpayers at my income level a flat $50 per year for un-itemized internet purchases.

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
In New York state, tax on pipe tobacco is 75% of the wholesale price, then there is a sales tax, average depending on where you live in the state, of 8.5%. Most 2 oz tins are usually around $20 where I live. Cigars have a 30% tax on them before they are sold.

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
I believe Washington state is the highest at 95% of wholesale price. Is any state higher?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Florida has an 85% tax on the wholesale price of pipe tobacco. We have Zero tax on cigars. We have a 6% sales tax for the state and then an additional 1% for Sarasota county where I live. Needless to say, I do all of my purchasing online.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I pay muni and state taxes on tobacco products plus the taxes the vendor pays. Never paid much attention to the various percentages, they are just a fact of life and part of the cost of smoking. I suppose there are bragging rights for those that do as in

Status
Not open for further replies.