PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I am trying to kick the coffin nails now that I have started smoking a pipe, although I really enjoy my pipe and most of the tobaccos I have tried, I still find myself sneaking a cig or 2 a day to get a better nicotine/flavor hit. Does anyone have any baccy suggestions that may help kick the want(need) for a cig.

I am currently smoking Captain Black and Lane 1Q.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
You might want to stick with mild tasting tobaccos at first. Captain Black, Lane 1Q, they're mild so you're off to a good start.
Maybe you should go to tobaccoreviews.com and look for blends that are labelled mild.
If you want nicotine, I hear 1792 is a kick in the head.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
thanx rothnh,

My problem is I really enjoy the pipe but I have yet to find a tobacco that gives me the "nic kick" that I am used to from 30+ years of coffin nails. The 2 cigs I had today didn't even taste that good but I got the "nic kick" I needed.

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
I'm coming off a pack a day nail habit and Peterson's Irish Oak gives me a a good Nic fix, it's one of my favorite before bed smokes. Also H&H Anniversary Kake, the Kake is a little closer to Captain Black, the Irish Oak is less aromatic and will actually taste like a cig, until you get your breathing right, and your taste buds start coming back. I'm into the English Blends and I find that a cob full, on what used to be smoke breaks, takes the edge from ciggy withdrawal. it is a different beast but it will take some of the edge. and lets be honest when I'm inside (other than my house or b&m where I can smoke) I've almost always got a lit pipe in my mouth

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
When I quit cigarettes after almost 40 years I smoked mainly OTC burleys(and still do) and and some Aro's,Captain Black mainly. Now I consider CB to be unfit for human consumption.

guitarguy86

Jul 6, 2012
Well, as soon as I saw the title of your thread, 1Q was the first to come to my mind. That's a good tobacco. You might also want to try Sir Walter Raleigh, or Half & Half.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
I have never smoked cigs so I wouldn't know but shouldn't he smoke somethig with more of a nic hit than Aros? Nightcap has a good nic hit for me and is available on all our sponsor websites and should be in stock at any tobacconist you go to.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Pipe tobacco is better than any cigarette you will ever have. Just my opinion. :puffpipe:
Unless you inhale your pipe smoke (blech!), the nicotine is not going to get into your blood nearly as fast as it is when you inhale a cigarette.
That being said, a full pipe probably has three cigarettes worth of tobacco in it, maybe more.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
That being said, a full pipe probably has three cigarettes worth of tobacco in it, maybe more.
But it doesn't have the chemicals added to cigarettes, which, AFAIK, also include chemicals to increase or enhance the nic.
Peterson's Uni Flake and Irish Flake, MacBaren's Navy Flake, and C&D Briar Fox are all blends that I avoid because, although they have a nice flavor, are too high in nicotine for me.

deithial

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2012
OTC Burleys are going to be your best bet too kick the coffin nails. What worked for me was good old Prince Albert. If you do a mix of 3 parts PA / 1 part Capt Black White (or any Black Cavendish) you get a great flavor. Plus for those need a cig moment I would just roll myself a smoke of PA.
Biggest part is no more premade cigs, the chemicals they add to them for nicotine delivery is what you need to kick.
So... my suggestion would be to try and stick with either Prince albert or Carter Hall. They are inexpensive, good nic hit, and a closer cig flavor. Just remember the rolling papers in case you need that old cig delivery.
Good luck friend. I was happier after I left them behind.

deithial

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2012
Plus: A cob of Prince Albert and a big cup of coffee in the morning is a great way to start the day.

pipewife

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2012
Rolling your own cigs is a good idea - you'll be aware of how fewer you smoke. That being said, I smoke a rollie first thing every morning to tame the craving so I can enjoy the more flavorful pipe tobaccos. After over 20 years of smoking cigs, I am down to 1 to 3 cigs per day and enjoying the variety of pipe tobacco much more. With so few cigs per day, my sense of smell has improved (not always a good thing with indoor cats).
As for what to smoke ... explore and smoke what you actually enjoy. There is a mind-blowing variety for pipes out there!

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
No matter what, it's not going to be easy. Don't get discouraged though. I'm a 35+ year pack a day kinda guy and still smoke cigs at work since it just goes faster. But I'm down to 3-4 cigs a day.
For a nicotine kick in a small bowl that smokes quick and can help with the inhale reflex so many of us cigarette smokers suffer from, go get you some Kendal's Kentucky. It's a very small ribbon cut, called shag, and it loads up easily in a small bowl. And has a nic kick like a horse. It's a lot easier to smoke than some of the other ones listed here (University Flake, etc) since those require a little more prep and longer smoke.
Good luck kicking the nails !

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Well Im going to have to agree with rothnh on this one... my wife stopped smoking when she was ready, she had tried several times before but never made it. She is now 2 years without a cigarette.
People will stop smoking when they are ready... never before... period!

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
05 - if you need a quick nic hit, try nasal snuff. Just don't inhale ;)
Find out if you prefer burleys or Virginias. Old Joe Krantz and some other C&Ds have a substantial load of nic if you like the former. With Virginias, many of the Gawith Hoggarths are pretty substantial.
hp

les
BTW, pipe tobacco is much cheaper than cigarettes. Maybe keeping that in the back of your mind might increase your motivation. Not to mention the health benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.