PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
is there a right or wrong way, or good or bad. to mix into already blended either other blends or straight tobaccos? or is it just a simple thing to mix to taste?

tried perique with burley and its good and for me much better thank burley alone.

one of the sponcere here, pipes and cigars??, that offers a counter swept blend that is very inexpense to buy.

for price being what it is, i think i, with a squeaky pocket book, would take a chance on.

grateful to lawrence for his references to perique. only bought an ounce with my last order and now will have get some more, its soooooooo goooood. :D

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
If it tastes good to you then it's right. The best way I know is to do very small batches and keep track of the ratios . That way if a mixture sucks you haven't wasted a bunch of tobacco.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
Mixing two "stand-alone" blends can be a confusing process. I like to add tobaccos that are designed to be blenders, they are not meant to be smoked alone. They are more one-dimensional and allow you to tweak a mixture without adding too many new tastes at once. Rich at 4noggins has a good selection at very reasonable prices:
http://www.4noggins.com/blendingtobacco.aspx
Be sure to follow unclearthur's advice and write down what you're mixing, it's REALLY frustrating to come up with a great tasting blend and not be able to duplicate it because you forgot all the components. It can be fun and you may hit the jackpot and come up with the "perfect" blend.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I'm glad you like Perique Grouchy.

Shhhh... don't tell anybody but I like to smoke it straight on occasion.
I like to add just a small pinch to VaPers, Luxury Bulls Eye Flake, Plumcake, and Escudo as well.

But, there is one more that I really enjoy and that's adding a pinch to Lane 1-Q.

I usually only mix enough for 1 or 2 bowls at a time. As per Arthur's recommendation.

I'll sometimes put a spritz of Brandy or Ezra Brooks on some 1Q as well from time to time. (today has been one of those days)
Then there's my "Bottom of the Bag" mix... It's literally what's left in the bottom of my jars and bags.

I keep it in a small bail top jar and dip into it from time to time.

I think it's called a "Mutt Mix" sometimes.

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
am in the process of one of those mutt mixes. i guess calling it any kind of a cat mix might be a little too racey.

this year i threw away an almost full pound of latikia bought out in kc thirty years ago. sealed up pretty good in its pipe shop baggie.

was kept inside one of those holiday popcorn cans. thought it to be no good anymore.

perhaps not in the can. am still trying to forgive myself.

i like latikias taste and smell. contrary to popurlar beliefe, my elevator really doesnt go all the way to the top. dumb asz

now i have to buy some more and am thinking seriously of mixing a pinch for pinch, latikia, burley and perique.

that should put some powder in the old pistol.

on second thought, racey cat mix names i could blame on p-nut :nana:

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
My mother in law wanted to buy me some "special" tobacco about 18-19 give-or-take years ago.

She bought me a pound of straight Latakia. "because, I don't know nothin' about tobacco."

Bless her pea picking heart. (I wouldn't trade her for the world.)

I still have 3-4 oz.

It is extremely dry, but is mellow, sweet, and smoky.

I like it straight up.

I have contemplated adding a pinch to some 1Q and some other blends...

I decided that it's just too special to smoke in that manner.

So, about once every six months or so I'll break it out and relax with a bowl...

Too good.

:puffy:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hearth & Home's Russ Ouellette got his start in blending by tweaking store blends at the B&M where he worked.

His story is recounted in Bob Tate's interview. With your interest in it, maybe you've got a future as a blender Grouchy.

Status
Not open for further replies.