Tobacco Storage (for the occasional smoker)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mason

Lurker
Dec 4, 2011
Hello All,
I started smoking about a year ago, and have really enjoyed it. I don't smoke very often (3-4 times a month), so I have had a problem with buying an ounce of bulk tobacco and having to throw away half of it after a month or so.
I know mason or ball jars are excellent for aging tobacco when left sealed, but would they keep tobacco fresh for 2-3 months if I am opening them once or twice a week to smoke?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Yeah I'd second the mason jars and would add that if it seems to get too dry you might want to try cutting up a sponge into small squares and dampening the square then taping it to the inside of the lid. Rehydrates the tobacco overnight and you're good to go.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I have a few blends that I smoke (not my go to's) that have been aging in mason jars for 5 years and they are still good.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Hey Mason, your screen name says it all. :D Also, as an alternative, consider a canning-grade (meaning it has a real rubber ring and can hermetically seal) bail-top jar--Fido is a great brand (they're French). For hydrating, stick with distilled water. A sponge will work, and if you want to invest a dollar or less you can get a nifty hydrating "button" which is a piece of clay encased in an aluminum cover for the same purpose. Tobacco should be stored with a fairly low relative humidity--under 18% moisture content is ideal. It should be springy to the touch, but not "clumpy", as a rule of thumb. And handle the tobacco with your fingers as little as possible to avoid mold--shake it out in the portions you'll smoke.

Oh, and welcome to the club!

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
Ball jars have always worked well for me. I keep many different blends here and alternate among them and am constantly opening and closing the jars. So far the tobacco has stayed in good shape.
Smokey

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I've always got Mason Jars because I pickle and can stuff. Always use new ones to store baccy though. "Pickled Beet" would be a hell of a flavor additive.

tonypuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2011
Ive always used Mason jars or the doubleziplockbaggyinnatupperware method :D

Status
Not open for further replies.