PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Occasionally, I like to go onto FinViz (stock screening site) and look for new ideas.
Today's search criteria led me to a tobacco company called Alliance One International, Inc. (AOI)
From Reuter's:
Alliance One International, Inc., incorporated on October 19, 1994, is a leaf tobacco merchant. The Company is engaged in purchasing, processing, packing, storing and shipping tobacco to manufacturers of cigarettes and other consumer tobacco products globally. The Company deals primarily in flue-cured, burley, and oriental tobaccos that is used in international brand cigarettes. The Company’s revenues are primarily comprised of sales of processed tobacco and fees charged for processing and related services to these manufacturers of tobacco products. The Company does not manufacture cigarettes or other consumer tobacco products. Tobacco is primarily purchased directly from suppliers with small quantities still sold at auction. In non-auction markets, the Company purchases tobacco directly from suppliers and the Company assumes the risk of matching the quantities and grades required by its customers to the entire crop it must purchase under contract. The Company purchases tobacco in more than 35 countries.
Anyone else heard of this company or have any direct knowledge / experience?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Boy, am I not a stock market whiz. But my advice would be to research stocks in which you have some intellectual

interest but no emotional investment. If you are boat crazy, don't invest in boats. Big golfer, not so much golf

supplies stocks. And so on. You don't need your heart strings strummed as you try to figure the cold hearted business

of who's going to rake in the profits and who's going to bankruptcy court.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Agreed ... no emotional investment here.

That's why I stay away from mining stocks! 8O
This actually came up due to the screening criteria entered.

Also, a major market player named Seth Klarman has millions of shares invested in this company.
I'm out of most stocks right now and moved into fixed accounts for the next year.

This is because, after riding a fierce Bull for 5 years, I believe the top is here

and a "correction" is in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.