PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
My local B&M sells this particular Hazelnut Aro - average smell but a very nice smoke. I'm trying to figure out what this stuff is. I know they dont blend it. So 1Q has dark, medium and light tobacco but this this stuff is all the same color. A light brown color and essentially the same color. Anyone know what this stuff might be? Would it help if I posted a close up pic? Thanks.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
Might be able to google the name and find its true name. Also it is probably a lane limited there names get changed a lot.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Every shop I have been to *a small number" either gaurd the real name closely to keep there "secret" or look at me light a deer in the head lights when I ask them any pipe related question. Asking never hurts though, so try!

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Have you tried asking them? Maybe they will tell you.
yes of course. He wouldn't tell me the name and 2ndly wouldn't discount it even if I bought over a pound. That told me that I need to find an alternative source. I buy a lot of stuff from these guys but as Ive posted before, nice people, dont know a thing about Pipes, pipe tobacco or anything pipe related.

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
I'm sure it's not the same stuff, but Erik Nording's Hunter's Blend Labrador has a very nice hazelnut flavor. Smells like hazelnut flavored coffee in the tin. The flavor carries over quite nicely to the smoke. It has some light brown and some dark brown tobacco's in it. You might want to give it a try.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
It may be one of these I listed below. I have found that the couple of B&Ms I go to either buy bulk from C&D, PS or Altadis. One is forthcoming telling me what their renamed blends really are and I spend more money their because of this. The other usually tries to tell me they are special Music City Blends, which is a B&M distributor. But I usually get the answer I want from them. Its a bit mean but I have them package what I want up and then ask the question. If they tell me the "Special Blend" story, I say never mind. That is usually followed up by an explanation of what it really is as they don't want to have to put it back.
Altadis Bulk - Mellow & Mild

http://pipesandcigars.com/albu18memiby.html#.USaUgqWR90k
McClelland Bulk Avenue Blend (Lane Match) Nutty Hazel

http://pipesandcigars.com/mcbuavbllman.html#.USaUA6WR90k

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
One is forthcoming telling me what their renamed blends really are and I spend more money their because of this.
you know what, bigger picture, this is what I would do too. The problem with this B&M is that their prices are sky high without the knowledge or service. I bought my first pipe from them, 3 more additional,3 lighters, pipe cleaners galore + at least 5 trips for tobacco. On the other hand, when I go to Edwards in Denver or Smoking Paradise in San Jose, I'm dropping big bucks with those folks cuz I love them and their service. I hope I make it to Mecca someday too (Boswells).

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Most tobacco shops have a cheat sheet with common names for the blends they sell. Some will share this info freely and others tightly gaurd it.
Bottom line is if someone comes in asking for 1Q, it benefits us to point them in the right direction.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I bought some more of this Hazelnut stuff last night. So 8oz of 1Q and 8oz of this Hazelnut cost me $87 out the door. I need a better solution here. Can anyone help me identify this "Hazelnut"? For comparison sake, I have a pile of the Hazelnut and a pile of 1Q. The 1Q's ribbon is more pronounced whereas the hazelnut seems more "crumbly". Any ideas anyone?
Hazelnut.jpg

1Q.jpg

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
No, it was 8oz each so 16 oz total. But still extremely high I think. yes Roth I did look at the links. Its definitely not the Altadis and the McClelland looks close. I think I'll try to find this some where and see if I have a match.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
Might try calling Pipes & Cigars. A description of what you are trying to match might generate some helpful suggestions from them. I'm sure they would love your business. - bp

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Oh I have Mike. They won't tell me. Ive asked several times. Even reminded them of the TONS of cash I've spent there on pipes, lighters and other tobacco. They also carry Lane's BCA and wouldn't tell me what that was but when I recognized it, he admitted it.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
Zonomo, I now recall that you are in Washington State. Sorry. Guess the suggestions for on line sources are probably more frustrating than helpful. - bp

kanaia

Feb 3, 2013
Lane used to make a blend called HL that most stores would call Hazelnut. To substitute mix 1/2 1Q and 1/2 MV-1000

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Thanks Roth! I love Portland. We get down there when we want to "buy stuff" since there is no sales tax.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Hey Z, that shop up in Bellingham called Fairhaven smoke shop makes a Hazlenut blend. I really liked it. They called it Whatcom blend. I asked him as well and he said it was blended in shop. Which I wasn't sure if I believed him or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.