Tags:  No tags yet. 

Tobacco shipped to Canada

(57 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by greggors
  • Latest reply from CanAsianPiper
  1. greggors

greggors

Login to Send PM

I've been looking at a lot of online tobacco sites and see that it's 1/3 the price of what it is in shops here in Winnipeg ( about $32 cad for 50 grams ). Was wondering if any of the other Canadian members here have bought online before and could tell me what are the approximate final costs are? after duty, tobacco taxes and what not.

If its about the same, I was thinking of ordering it to a friend in the states and have them ship to me as a "gift" to cut down on the costs or would that be advisable?

thanks for any info

Remember, if you smoke after sex you're doing it too fast.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. lordnoble

lordnoble

Mod

Login to Send PM

Since I am in the States, I can't speak from experience, but I've read from various members here that live in Canada and elsewhere that 4noggins.com will send to Canada and I think they DO list it as gift, although I'm not sure.

Hope this helps...

-Jason

The preceding statement is not to be construed as fact, but merely conjecture.

Proud member of the BlackBlood Society
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. greggors

greggors

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the link, unfortunately from the sounds of their site I don't think they list it as a gift since they have the disclaimer about customs and the like.

Looks like I'll have to ship to someone in the states and have them reship it to me with new packaging XD, should be simple I can send them a visa / master card gift card to cover any cost which would still be WAY cheaper =D

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Why not try a small order with 4noggins and see what happens?
    The exterior of their packaging gives no indication of the nature of its contents.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 3 years ago #
  5. greggors

greggors

Login to Send PM

true, worse case scenario I pay the same amount as what I already pay but I get something that cant be found in this city. No clue why I didn't think of that, Thanks!

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. ohin3

ohin3

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I live in Nova Scotia and order from Smokingpipes.com on a regular basis. I have yet to pay duty or excise tax on any order. It is WWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY cheaper for us to order from the states. Just go to the Canada customs or government site and find out what amount you are allowed to have shipped over the border. If it is under a certain amount, you don't have to pay duty or excise tax. I have ordered as much as half dozen tins without paying anything more than the price on the smokingpipes.com site. I even told my B&M guy that, due to Canada's retarded anti tobacco laws and taxation, I will be taking money from Canadian merchants and pumping it into another country's economy. He told me that he didn't blame me one bit.

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. greggors

greggors

Login to Send PM

Thanks ohin you're a godsend! I'm guessing the allowed limit for shipping tobacco will be the same amount as if I drove over the border. I'll take a look at the site.
    Yea I'll still support my tobacconist, it just wont be by buying tobacco XD I've bought so much in the past 2 months that I get greeted as soon as I walk in by both people there, I swear they're on commission lol
    thanks again you made my day =D

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. admin

Kevin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

Thanks Phil! Our economy needs all the help it can get!

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 3 years ago #
  9. krgulick

krgulick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great response ohin3. I knew one of the guys here had recently ordered from down here in the States, but couldn't remember who.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are small and crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  10. classicgeek

classicgeek

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At the rate I smoke, the extortionate prices that get charged here due to taxes don't really bug me that much, but if I were smoking bowls per day I would no doubt feel passionate about it. For me the biggest problem is that if I want to try a blend and none of my local tobacconists stock it, they aren't very enthusiastic about doing custom orders for the amounts I want. So that leads to the Internet, or trips to exotic locations like Portland. I brought back three tins with me on the last trip down south.

Keep us posted on the tax-avoiding success rate!

Simon

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. sinistertopiary

sinistertopiary

Login to Send PM

Hello greggors. Canadian customs permits 200 grams of tobacco to cross the border duty free, whether in person or in shipping. The duty can be hefty, but is still cheaper than the cost of buying it in stores in Canada.

I live in Toronto and get most of my tobacco online. I have relatives in NY so I will frequently ship to them and retrieve it during visits. If my wife joins me that's 200g per person, so I can bring back 8 tins duty free.

But I have often had orders shipped directly to me. Customs permits 200 grams of tobacco shipped without duty, which means that I can order 4 tins from 4noggins (or elsewhere) and not worry about getting tagged. If I want to place a large order I just split it up so that each package is only 4 tins and pay for all that shipping, which is much much less than the duty or taxes. (I don't know why customs thinks that shipping 12 tins in 3 packages is all that different from shipping it in 1 package, but it is. Maybe customs gets a kickback from more shipping.)

I have ordered from some vendors who ship tobacco as a gift (I can't recall which, offhand, I'm sorry to say), but if it's tagged it'll have a hefty fine in addition to the duty. I had one shipment arrive from England that had five tins (250 grams) that got tagged, and I was hit with a $42 duty, which is a hefty duty but still cheaper than buying five tins in Canada in a brick and mortar.

There's nothing quite like tobacco: it's the passion of decent folk, and whoever lives without tobacco doesn't deserve to live.
    -Moliere
    Posted 3 years ago #
  12. excav8tor

excav8tor

Login to Send PM

I like that.... Canada proping up the US economy...hehehe

"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis
    Posted 3 years ago #
  13. greggors

greggors

Login to Send PM

I'll be placing my order tomorrow and if all is good I'll try sinistertopiary's idea of just ordering in multiple shipments. Just have to decide which site to order through now.

Going to love getting the new tobacco as all my local tobacconist carries is McClellands XD

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

My word! I had no idea our Canadian brothers had such difficulty. Deplorable.

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. lordnoble

lordnoble

Mod

Login to Send PM

And here, I am pissed that in NY state, I have to pay 75% tax on tobacco... Guess it's not quite as bad as in Canada...

-Jason

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. excav8tor

excav8tor

Login to Send PM

75%... In the UK we pay about 83% which is DUTY + VAT so in NY State (and many other areas in the so-called civilised world) they are like the UK, which put colloquially is... Taking the effin' pee.

UK DUTY + VAT = 10.5 billion GBP
    Tobacco related diseases cost to the UK National Health Service = 2.8 billion GBP

Canada, however, is even more ridiculous than that it seems.

I am not an idiot, but if you strangle the 'Goose That Laid The Golden Egg' someday it'll come back and bite your sensitive bits.

And I hope it rips the Tobacco Nazi's bits off very very very slowly.

I spent 13 years defending my country and their democracy.... for what????

Nannie says smoking is bad for you, but she doesn't tell you it makes her shed loads of money. And when the money does run out she'll have worked out another method of fleecing you to the equivalent value. God Bless Nannie. So when all you Smoking Nazi's say smoking is bad for you, please remember you WILL pay for your views because we are still gonna smoke but you are paying for it.... LMAO

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. ohin3

ohin3

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All I can say if F' 'em. You bet your ass I will bolster another country's economy if, in your ignorance, you place that which I want so so so far out of my reach. I'd love to support my local economy but they are forcing me to support another country's economy. So F' 'em! They should be ashamed of themselves charging anywhere from 20 to 30 bucks for a tin that would cost me 10 to 13 bucks elsewhere. F' 'EM ! ! !

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

transylvanian

Login to Send PM

@ Greggors, any update on this subject my friend?

Posted 3 years ago #
  19. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No tax on cigars or pipe tobacco in Pennsylvania........yet. They keep trying but alot of us folks write to our state reps and raise hell. Also, we're a tobacco growing state and several tobacco companies are HQ'd here. Something to think about. Our state slogan some years ago was "You have a friend in Pennsylvania". Pa was playing off the Quaker usage of "friend" but there a enough B&M's here that would gladly take an order and ship.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  20. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I never considered that one before, papipeguy... Should one be in desperate need, at least.

Once again, I just took for granted that B&Ms wouldn't go to the trouble to deal with Canadians. Many online retailers and even eBay sellers won't send tobacco products to Canada. I had one guy refuse to ship me MM corn cobs.

Posted 3 years ago #
  21. classicgeek

classicgeek

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yay!

I just got a package from Pipes and Cigars and it appears to have arrived intact without extra hassle from the Canadian Revenue Agency. It was only 8 oz ($31) in total, so it may have successfully flown under the radar.

Happy, happy, joy, joy!

Simon

Posted 3 years ago #
  22. misterrogers

misterrogers

Login to Send PM

Sometimes I want to just fill my car with tins, and drive across the boarder, only to sell it to our Northern friends. Of course, I'd add a bit to what I paid, but only enough to pay for gas.

Or do the same for our Aussie/Kiwi friends with a boat.

Now, I've noticed a tendency for this forum to get rather silly.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  23. schmitzbitz

schmitzbitz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sometimes I want to just fill my car with tins, and drive across the boarder, only to sell it to our Northern friends. Of course, I'd add a bit to what I paid, but only enough to pay for gas.

Oh, please do!

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. marmal4de

marmal4de

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Feel free, you can crash at my place.

In a society that has destroyed all adventure, the only adventure left is to destroy that society.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    Posted 3 years ago #
  25. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I want to move to PA now... lol What's the best state/country/province etc. to live in if your a tobaccoholic?

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 3 years ago #
  26. jaybird

jaybird

Login to Send PM

I'm Canadian...I can testify!

Posted 3 years ago #
  27. misterrogers

misterrogers

Login to Send PM

I've never gone across the line. Do they search cars or is it a "You look cool, go on." sort of deal?

Posted 3 years ago #
  28. schmitzbitz

schmitzbitz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've never gone across the line. Do they search cars or is it a "You look cool, go on." sort of deal?

The simple answer is a bit of both. They can (and will) search people who they think are probably trying to get away with something (this used to agrivate me to no end when I still wore hair and a beard down to my belt), however, most people just get waved through. That said, they do pull cars "at random" for a search; going both ways.

Posted 3 years ago #
  29. seanz

seanz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Or do the same for our Aussie/Kiwi friends with a boat.

I am on a deep river estuary 20 min from open sea. though down here in the roaring forties or close to it, you need big kahuna,s to handle the water soemtimes it's nasty

New Zealand
    Peter Piper.
    Give me the weed, the fragrant weed, My wearied brain to calm; In a wreath of smoke, while I crack my joke, I'll find a healing balm.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  30. gecko13

gecko13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, if they close what the anti's so cleverly call the "pipe tobacco loophole", we can soon look to enjoy a 1600% tax increase here in the US.

"To Learn Who Rules You, Find Out Who You Can't Criticize" Voltaire

"The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected..."
    Posted 3 years ago #
  31. nbpiper

nbpiper

Login to Send PM

I just got 150g from 4noggins (waiting to pick it up monday morning from the post office) without any issue it seems. My next order will probably just be over the 200g limit, so I will see how that one goes.

Posted 3 years ago #
  32. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

ohin3;

bless u man lolol i been searchin for hours an comin up with duty charges only, ill try ur guy

If at first you don't succeed, have another bowl.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  33. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And here, I am pissed that in NY state, I have to pay 75% tax on tobacco... Guess it's not quite as bad as in Canada...

-Jason

dont know bout that, 50g pouch amphora here in nova scotia canada is 21.00 50g pouch drum is 24.00 all taxes inclusive

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. lordnoble

lordnoble

Mod

Login to Send PM

Yeah. You brothers in the Great White North have it the worst on the Continent. I AM glad I don't pay $21 for a 50g pouch of OTC, but the taxes here make large purchases of tobacco cost-prohibitive. Two ounces (around 57g) of Mac Baren 7 Seas Royal runs about $9.00 after tax here. So it's not awful, but when I can get the same for almost half the price, well you get the idea.

-Jason

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. cgrd

cgrd

Login to Send PM

I'm in the same town as greggors. And really, I'm posting this just to vent a bit.

A pouch of OTC Amphora was $25, and the local B&M's house mixes run $32 for 50g, but A 50g tin of 3 oaks syrian cost me $45.

I guess I'll be buying any tins online in the future. I'll buy house mixes from time to time and save them for special occasions.

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. mick

Bulldog Mick

Login to Send PM

I was wondering if any Canadians ordered from pipesandcigars.com before? I see that have an impressive selection of tobaccos.

Just try one small bowl and you will forever more be a Grousemoor whore.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  37. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was wondering if any Canadians ordered from pipesandcigars.com before? I see that have an impressive selection of tobaccos.

Not me personally, but I've mentioned in other threads I've had nothing but good experiences with 4noggins...

Matt.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  38. mick

Bulldog Mick

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I just ordered from 4noggins, I was just wondering about pipesandcigars because they have a few tobaccos 4noggins doesn't that I want to try.

Posted 2 years ago #
  39. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ya I used to order from P&C, untill the shipping fees hit the roof.

Posted 2 years ago #
  40. damnyak

damnyak

Login to Send PM

When I order online from The US, its is Smoking pipes.com, Affordable shipping and outstanding Customer service.

Shipping at 4 noggin and pipes and cigars is a wee(alot) bit higher.

-damnyak AKA Double-Goofy.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  41. alex87

alex87

Login to Send PM

Just in case people were wondering if prices were still as bad, well they are. Yesterday i went to the B&M in Halifax and bought a 50g Peterson Sunset Breeze, $20.95 before taxes. Smokingpipes.com price, $9.00.

I think the next time i go sailing down south i will be stocking up and packing my locker to the gunwales.

Posted 2 years ago #
  42. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The thing about travelling and buying tobacco is that you are still bound by border restrictions so there is only so much you can bring back unless you are constantly taking long trips across the border...

And I will also say that I think everyone up here in Canada shouldn't take their B&M stores for granted, even if you do order primarily from elsewhere. I'd love to have a place like Blatter & Blatter in my backyard; I'd still do some business there just because they were a great resource to have. (I enjoyed visiting them on my last trip to Montreal - picked up a nice few tins even though the prices were about $25 per 50g)

Unfortunately, there aren't any real tobacconists around here and it is a damn shame. (I don't count cigarette stores attached to Sobeys or Loblaws) If you want a pouch of Captain Black it'll run you $35. Drum RYO was $31 when I price checked it for a laugh at a local convenience store. That's what you get in a captive market without tobacconists...

Posted 2 years ago #
  43. slownumbers39

slownumbers39

Login to Send PM

Currently payiing $50.00 for a typical 50gm tin where I live.

Posted 2 years ago #
  44. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ouch... Don't get me wrong, I don't approve of the tobacco taxes but I just wanted to show a sign of support for the few decent tobacconists that have managed to survive this long. We only have the government to thank for this situation.

Posted 2 years ago #
  45. slownumbers39

slownumbers39

Login to Send PM

I do indeed support my local (98 miles away) tobacconist and plan to visit and purchase regularly. However for some items that are unique or that we are unable to get here, I will be supporting my brothers to the South. Besides, they seem to appreciate some economic stimulus as much as anyone.

Posted 2 years ago #
  46. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

$50 is highway robbery so I wouldn't blame you personally if you never again bought a single gram of tobacco from a local source... With that said, that's probably how much a good blend would cost around here.

I agree, spending money south of the border won't go astray these days. Hopefully you get access to some great blends.

Posted 2 years ago #
  47. mick

Bulldog Mick

Login to Send PM

And I will also say that I think everyone up here in Canada shouldn't take their B&M stores for granted, even if you do order primarily from elsewhere. I'd love to have a place like Blatter & Blatter in my backyard; I'd still do some business there just because they were a great resource to have. (I enjoyed visiting them on my last trip to Montreal - picked up a nice few tins even though the prices were about $25 per 50g)

Around here the tobacconists are mostly cigar stores that also sell a bit of pipe tobacco. I have no loyalty to a B&M that I don't use in any way, shape or form. I took 1 trip to my local tobacconist, got 2 packs of pipe cleaners, a tamper and a tin of tobacco = $70!!! Then I bought some stuff from online: 5 tins of tobacco, 5 packs of pipe cleaners, 3 corn cobs = $70 (+shipping). Online tobacconists it is!

Posted 2 years ago #
  48. kabong30

kabong30

Login to Send PM

There's a really nice little B&M up the road from my work and the guy there literally told me to just go order off the internet. He has a couple of bulk blends and some consignment estate pipes, but aside from that he just can't afford what it costs to do much in the way of pipe tobacco here in TX. I do try to check in with him from time to time to see what pipes he's selling, and he's really nice to shoot the crap with, but he readily admits that the state screwed him out of the pipe tobacco biz.

Posted 2 years ago #
  49. auspipe

auspipe

Login to Send PM

Sounds like the same situation as Australia. The only tobacco readily available is borkum riff and captain black, $50 a pouch. The few tobacconists in capital cities stock Peterson tobacco also $50 for 50grams. I order online from 4noggins, he is a master of international shipping. As damnyak mentioned the shipping is very high (just over $20 for 2 tins) but pipesandcigars is even more expensive and are not very good with international shipments. It is definately alot cheaper than buying locally though so give it a go.

Posted 2 years ago #
  50. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I guess what I was trying to say is that if there are still good stores left in your area, it is nice if you can frequent them in some way. I know that isn't the case for most of us - hell, I haven't bought anything locally in 2 years. As kabong points out, the tobacconists can be great guys who are just put in a bad situation by the powers that be.

Personally, I don't think I can ever enjoy going to a smoke shop where you can't browse the bloody products yourself, and all of the tobacco is kept under lock and key behind frosted glass. It's utterly juvenile; walk next door to the liquor store and you'll see Caramilk liqueurs and Bacardi Breezers in all colours of the rainbow gaudily displayed...

Everyone here knows the online options, so we can consider ourselves lucky. I remember when I first signed up in 2010 there was a lot of uncertainty about this subject; now we know where to go and how much we can buy.

Posted 2 years ago #
  51. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The situation up here is a real shame. I'm sure all of us would love to not only support our local B+M's more often, but would also order online from a Canadian company if possible. I'm grateful for the terrific service and prices I've received from the U.S. suppliers I've ordered from, but I really resent the fact that if I want to shop local I'm forced to pay prices that are extremely out of line.

I still make a point to buy a tin locally once in awhile, but it really irks me when I do the math in my head and add up everything I can order online from the U.S. for that price. Even if I was made of money, I'd have a hard time justifying paying those prices.

Also, how many of us here have dreamt of running their own B+M? Hard to think it would be a good business move at this point...

Posted 2 years ago #
  52. sjpipesmoker

sjpipesmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Damn...after reading what you pay for your tobacco I feel guilty that I'm pissed at my B&M for charging 18.00 for a tin, when I can get it online for 12.00...I knew taxes were bad, but not that bad...Hpopefully they don't get crazy here in california!!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  53. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

ghost,
    I was thinking about opening a B&M the other day but it was along the lines of musings like "what if pigs could fly" rather than an actual ambition... I think it'd be a good way to part with a lot of money. If Canada bans "flavouring" in pipe tobacco then it'd be game over. I hate the laws as they exist today.

I'm the same way - it's nice to support a local guy but I agree it is not practical as long as the US channels are open.

sjpipesmoker, if legislators get their way then you could very well face our situation. That $18 tin could easily be $50 if those with antismoking agendas take over.

Posted 2 years ago #
  54. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

The justification for those taxes (according to my uncle, a retired college professor who lives in Canada) is to pay for the heavy lifting on Canada's Socialized Medicine. So yes, seems it's only a matter of time (if Mr. Obama wins and our predominantly unpopular ObamaCare does remain on track after the November election) before the shortfall causes Congress to hike up taxes on tobacco in the USA.

And we're still waiting for the other shoe to fall from the FDA on how they are going to "control" tobacco products other than cigarettes in their ubiquitous stranglehold.

We do have a few organizations in the USA that are fighting hard to keep things sane, including:

The International Premium Pipe and Cigar Retailers Association (IPCPR) http://www.rtda.org/application.html

The Cigar Rights of America (CRA) http://www.cigarrights.org/main.php

The IPCPR is primarily a professional organization of tobacco retailers.

I've been a member of CRA for 5-6 years now and I firmly believe this is money well spent. I urge everyone to consider joining us and recommending CRA to friends.

Posted 2 years ago #
  55. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some people like to play the free healthcare card but it is definitely not that simple. We've allowed ourselves to become complacent with lawmakers, and they are drunk on public funds. Alcohol, tobacco, and gambling are the easiest pickings of all and surprisingly few people will take a stand about the erosion of their rights and their income.

I support socialized medicine in my country but I do not support the offloading of so much costs on "sin taxes" when the government could be finding more efficiencies and making sure that our tax dollars were better spent.

I don't know if it is sustainable or not with reforms but the coming decades will tell that tale. The issue is too complex for me to really delve into because I don't have the background to have a detailed debate about it... The reality is that nobody has answers when it comes to health care.

All I can say is that it's not fair to push the burden entirely upon smokers and drinkers just to suit the government's neo-prohibitionist agendas...

We had socialized medicine in Canada for 30 years before they started to push all the antismoking propaganda down our throats. People are living longer, chronic diseases will grow as a result, and health care costs will skyrocket no matter what you do. When there aren't any smokers or drinkers left who will they blame the astronomical costs on then? Eaters, look out...

Posted 2 years ago #
  56. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I'll steer clear of politics, but TBH I am worried about where we're heading ... ending up waiting for months to get approval from some government bureaucrat to actually get permission to see a specialist then waiting even longer for the appointment. Ugh.

Posted 2 years ago #
  57. rd02sir

CanAsianPiper

Login to Send PM

All my orders that came through Boswells have never been taxed or dutied. I've been charged with smokingpipes but not pipesandcigars i believe, it's been a while...

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cmdrmcbragg, kaboom, mmjk, jessicac, edwinbaz, anthonyrosenthal74, gamxiaoyuan, derfargin, unholy1, drennan, jfox520, brudnic1, warren, peteguy, sparks, morton, kiev, huskysibe, beefeater33, menuhin, daveinlax, grouchydog, sablebrush52, sw0snuff3r, masspiper, sjfine