PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
I've been slightly limited in my tobacco exposure. Mostly Peterson blends and Camptain Black. I have a tin of Dunhill Nightcap which I enjoy sparingly. I mostly like the Peterson Luxury and Irish blends. I'm interested in getting a wider range to smoke though. Mostly for flavor and relaxation not looking for a big nicotine fix.

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
I recommend branching out to straight VAs and vapers next.
Straight VAs I’d recommend are FVF, C&D Opening Nights, Capstan blue and/or gold.

Vapers recommendations would be Escudo, SJF, Dunhill de luxe navy rolls (while you can still get them)
You could go with more dominant burley blends as another branch too.

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
Aromatics:

Lane Limited: RLP-6

Lane Limited: RHQ-3

Sutliff: SPS 2011 - Peach Cobbler
English:

Cornell & Diehl: Stratfordshire

Lane Limited: Crown Achievement

Samuel Gawith: Squadron Leader
Virginia:

Peter Stokkebye: Luxury Navy Flake

Cornell & Diehl: Yorktown

Newminster: No.400 Superior Navy Flake
Burley:

Mac Baren: HH Burley Flake

Cornell & Diehl: Pegasus

Cornell & Diehl: Haunted Bookshop
Codger Burley/Americana:

Lane Limited: Ready Rubbed

Prince Albert

Sutliff: MATCH Walnut

Sutliff: Great Outdoors
I tried to pick blends that are accessible, available in bulk or larger containers, and that are usually in stock the larger online vendors. There are exceptions. Squadron Leader, like all Sam Gawith blends, has gotten scarce of late. I hesitate to recommend Haunted Bookshop to a new smoker, but it's very prominent in the genre. Try the other two first. Great Outdoors is only available in 1.5oz tins.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
What tastes do you enjoy and not enjoy? For example, do you like spicy foods, saltiness, nutty and/or smoked meats? Citrus sweet and/or sourness? etc. Your preferences should give hints to those would make the most accurate recommendations.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
If you want flavor (vanilla, caramel, honey) and no nic hit try Sutliff Private Stock Molto Dolce. It's my favorite aromatic.
Read JimInks review here http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/4018/sutliff-tobacco-company-molto-dolce

His review is spot on. So good...for me anyway.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
What tastes do you enjoy and not enjoy? For example, do you like spicy foods, saltiness, nutty and/or smoked meats? Citrus sweet and/or sourness? etc. Your preferences should give hints to those would make the most accurate recommendations.
Prefer nutty, smoked meats, and more sweet than sour. I like Captain Black Gold a lot because it has a vanilla element to it so anything vanilla I'd probably like. I like molasses flavored and there was one I tried, I believe it was the Sherlock Holmes blend that had a bit of a honey taste to it.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I like Captain Black Gold a lot because it has a vanilla element to it so anything vanilla....
If you like Captain Black Gold, you'll love Lane Limited MV-1000. It's the equivalent of Captain Black Gold without all the PG chemicals. I buy it in bulk by the pound and smoke it nearly everyday, sometimes all day.

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
In addition to some other burleys with a lower nic hit, I'd recommend you try Uhle's 00 blend. Nuts with a slight hint of vanilla.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Cant go wrong with Early Morning Pipe and Squadron Leader, if you like the vanilla then you MUST try East India Trading Co Royal Challenge

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
Thank you, I will add those to my list and start building up my own cellar. I've got my pipe variety (well, one that satisfies me for now. I know I'll end up seeing another one I want) now I want a tobacco variety.
I've also heard about Peterson's 3 Ps. I know it's a plug style which sounds fun but I also know their Irish Flake kicked my butt nicotine wise

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Try a tin of Dark Twist from Mac Baren. It's ... lightly aromatic, not in a fruity overt way or anything, but it's sort of sweet and spicy. Makes for a good first entry into more natural virginia types. I like some of what you mentioned, Nitemair, Gold Blend etc and this is gentle like that for nicotine. Smokes like an oatmeal cookie.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
When I went through my tobacco discovery phase, I ended up loving straight VA's. From there, it was Wessex Red/Gold and some of the McClelland blends. You may still be able to find Wessex, but for some reason, it's pretty scarce now too.
A good fall back is GLP Union Square, which is a solid straight VA.

Jul 15, 2011
C&D, G.L. Pease, Dunhill, and Rattrays are some of my favorites but everyone's different. Maybe send me a PM and if you're in the US I'll send you some samples

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
I’m surprised no one recommend MacBarens Vanilla Cream Flake....I like it and it seems like it would be right up your alley

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
I'm interested in getting a wider range to smoke though
It’s interesting, cause when I read this and saw the blends the OP was experinced with, I was thinking the search was on for blends outside the realm of aro’s and english/latakia. Reading the recommendations, it seems like folks are keeping OP in the same blend range. Interpretation I guess
I highly recommend branching out to tobacco’s the OP doesn’t have experience with to expand “a wider range to smoke.” Besides, it’ll really help OP figure out what leaf is most enjoyable to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.