PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Greetings, All,

I'm new to regular pipe smoking--I've tried pipe smoking in the past, but it's only recently where the "bug" has really hit. Just have a few pipes right now--a La Rocca Piccalo pocket pipe, a couple of the Peterson's "Dracula" series, and a Brebbia (the last being an awful pipe because of the Dublin bowl interior). However, a pipe is only as good as the tobacco you smoke. For awhile I used Captain Black Gold, then tried CAO's Bella Vanilla, which I liked a lot, but this type only comes in expensive 1.76 ounce tins, whereas the Black comes in 12 ounce cans. I'm expecting a delivery of another Vanilla-flavored tobacco (the exotic name escapes me for the moment) this Monday. But for general, "go to" smoking, what would a good, economic tobacco be? I like something mild and sweet. I tried Middleton's once and threw the little box out after a few puffs. Any suggestions for something that fits the bill that is easily available at smoke stores? Thanks for reading.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Peter Stokkebye Nougat is a good price in bulk. Nothing wrong with Capt. black either, though.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
There is no tobacco that is worth smoking that is easily available & "economic", IMO. If all you can afford is Captain Black, smoke in peace, sparrowhawk. But if you are going to pop for Peterson pipes, you might as well buy some decent pipe tobacco, and start shopping online. YMMV.

cavendish36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
Sparrowhawk, find a B&M and get some Cavendish to start with, particularly some Golden Cavendish, which is a very mild but pleasantly aromatic tobacco. Incidentally, my first tobacco ever was some Golden cav, which I still like, though the Black&Gold cav is a bit more satisfying now. I have a couple B&M's that have numerous jars of all kinds of tobacco available to open and sample, which is better than buying a bunch of one particular kind and finding after a few smokes that you just don't like it. Try to steer clear of englishes if what you want is mild and sweet. If you have a B&M around you, try them first for samples.
Happy smoking!

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
The Lane bulk tobaccos seem to be popular, including 1-Q and LL-7.
If you truly can't swing even those prices, Carter Hall seems to have a following.
But I agree with Jud, this hobby is worth getting quality tobacco.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks for your input, gentlemen. I believe I'm going to try Carter Hall next, since I've heard this tobacco mentioned many times in passing by the folks here. And I've scribbled down the other suggestions as well. Thanks again!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Go with bulks, they're mostly the same price. Check out one of the site sponsers, it's like 30$ a pound for most bulks, I think that's cheaper even than Captain black.

http://www.4noggins.com/Peter-Stokkebye-NOUGAT.aspx This stuff has quite a following.

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
Andrew, if you lean toward aros, give Carole Burns a call at PipeWorks & Wilke. She is their master blender and has created some very good aros that have a wonderful balance of room note and flavor.
--Boudreaux

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Postscript: Just bought my first box of Carter Hall, and it is excellent, a bit better than Captain Black. I believe this will remain my "go to" tobacco except when I want variety and have some of the many brands of tinned tobacco. Thanks again all!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sparrowhawk, I second the suggestion you try some bulk tobaccos. Take a look at smokingpipes.com, at

bulk tobaccos, like Lanes, Altadis, Peter Stokkebye, for starters. Order a few blends in small quantities

until you see what you like. The Lanes Q1 and LL-7 would be ideal, along with one or two others that

catch your fancy. You can stretch even these by mixing them with CH, to further keep the cost down.

If you are anywhere near a tobacco outlet like J&R, you can get a break on tins of CH without having to pay

shipping, but that depends on your location. Good luck. You'll have plenty of good smokes, and don't worry

about spending a lot of money on tobacco. A good small stash goes a long way, at least for starters.

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
if you lean toward aros, give Carole Burns a call at PipeWorks & Wilke. She is their master blender and has created some very good aros that have a wonderful balance of room note and flavor.
+1 one pound of Mettowee is $60.75 delivered, that's like $3.75 an once. I don't know what CB goes for but I found out a long time ago that I'm better off buying something I like in bulk than stop once a week for a pouch, even if that first one pound order is painful fiscally.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
The recommendation for Pipeworks sounds good, as well as the other suggestions. I will look into each over the next few weeks. For Monday I'm getting of tin of Mollo Dolce, of which I've seen many positive reviews. And you are right; spending a little more for bulk is worth the price. I do believe I will try the Pipeworks sampler pack. Thanks again very much, gentlemen; I've got a new Peterson and a DUNHILL coming in the mail in the next three days, so I'm looking forward to trying these arrays of quality tobaccos.

Status
Not open for further replies.