PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johncorosz

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I may be speaking out of turn here and feedback is appreciated but in my internet searches and forgetting any local dealer it would seem smokingpipes.com has all vendors beat (for the most part) on pricing of tobacco. Today I was astounded at comparing my orders from the past year with the prices on smokingpipes. I am already making plans to make a huge purchase sometime in January where I think I will actually have pounds of tobacco arriving. It will surely be the largest purchase to date for me but I want to stock up on a few items that are limited in supply as it is.
So I am asking out loud here in case anyone has found alternate suppliers that are down right the lowest prices they have found. You may even know of a vendor who offers the lowest price on something that can't be beat anywhere else. But for the most part I have yet to find anything worth mentioning as most of the tobacco I have purchased that smokingpipes also sells is cheaper from them. I also know the world of tobacco is enormous with so many brands/blends that are not sold on smokingpipes site but only on other sites.
SO, I am curious to hear some ideas for procuring tobacco as cost effectively as you have found.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Are they located in the carolinas? That could explain it. Taxes on tobacco are really low. Used to be their major cash crop but am not sure if it still is. Maybe search for sellers in that state.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
What I do Is get my TAD list and check the 3 main retailer sites, smokingpipes.com, pipesandcigars.com and cupojoes.com since most of these 3 carry the same lines and blends. I add it up my items and go with ones the cheapest. Sometimes one may have a item that is out of stock and , or may not carry a blend i'm looking for in that case I go with the store that has most of the items I'm looking for.
95% of the time it's either Smokingpipes.com or pipesandcigars.com and I find that cupojoes is always the most expensive.
Also shipping, most have a certain amount that you have to spend to get free shipping, I try and make that amount, I believe it's around 100 bucks
Example, Here's my TAD
Sutliff Private Stock Bacchanalia

Peterson Nutty Cut

McClelland Holiday Spirit

McClelland Stave aged Frog Morton

McClleland Stave aged VA Ribbon

Dan Tobacco Birthday Blend

Dan Tobacco Buddies

Dan Tobacco Sweet Vanilla Honeydew

C&D Capt Bob's Blend
(4 items in stock) Cupojoes only had the Nutty Cut, the Bacchanalia and both McClelland blends in stock all the rest they don't stock

(5 items in stock) Smokingpipes had 1 more blend in stock than Cupojoes which was the Holiday Spirit, the rest was out of stock

(6 items in stock) Pipesandcigars had 1 more blend in stock than Smokingpipes which was Capt. Bob's Blend the rest was out of stock
So out of the 9 blends I want pipesandcigars would of got my order since they have the most items in stock, even though they were about 5 bucks more than smokingpipes.com (on the same items)
Not every online store will have everything you need at the same time. It's a matter of preference and your experience with that retailer.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
SJ... thats a good bit of advise... I wrote in another thread that I have never purchased tobacco online, always at a B&M.... unfortunately since moving back to CA there are no more B&M's close by (the closest is about 60 miles away) so I am saving up some funds (thats a whole other story :( ) to make a purchase... so yeah thanks for the hint :)

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Captain where you at in CA...im in San Jose...
At my local B&M a tin can run from 12-18 bucks and online from 7-12 bucks...I gotta save money wherever I can, I usually get bulk from my B&M and tins online, Of course I'll order bulk online that isn't sold at my B&M (Plum Pudding, Lancer Slices ect)

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Captain where you at in CA...im in San Jose...
At my local B&M a tin can run from 12-18 bucks and online from 7-12 bucks...I gotta save money wherever I can, I usually get bulk from my B&M and tins online, Of course I'll order bulk online that isn't sold at my B&M (Plum Pudding, Lancer Slices ect)
Im in Upland, CA. about 65 miles east from Venice Beach... my closest B&M that I could find is Tinder Box in Santa Monica, too far. Most of the time in the past I bought more bulk, especially in NC.... so yeah I have to make a purchase probably in the next week or two, because my stash is running dangerously low... like maybe another month and a half worth of baccy 8O
My problem now is trying to figure out what to purchase from my long ass list of my TAD because I sure as hell cant afford all of it right now LOL

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
My problem now is trying to figure out what to purchase from my long ass list of my TAD because I sure as hell cant afford all of it right now LOL
I have about 20 tins and 15 bulks on my TAD....all I need to do is hit the lottery!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I use P&C the most followed by 4 noggins and smoking pipes about equally. When I am loading up on tins, P%C's discount on 5 tins or more earns my business on most occasion's. When I am buying pounds it usually depends on who has what in stock, they are all pretty close on those. When I order from P&C I always load up on pipe cleaners because they have the best prices by far on the ones I buy. You can't go wrong with any of those three. My last order was a good sized one from 4noggins because they had what I was looking for.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Yea, I mostly shop at P&C or Smokingpipes. Most of my new pipes come from SP or when the PAD beast really grabs me, I hit Max up at pipes2smoke. As far as tobacco, both SP and P&C seem pretty equal to me give or take a buck. The biggest difference I have seen is in the 8oz Dan Tobacco - Hamborger Veermaster bags. SP was about 7 bucks cheaper. Right now, I would gladly pay that 7 bucks and more if someone had it in stock. Great stuff. Unfortunately by the time I place an order, make it home to receive the product it is usually sold out if it is one of the top shelf type tobacco's that so many crave, but that is a different thread for a different time. I do like to hit all of our sponsors to see what they have and search for my favorite hard to find baccy's that just might show up.
Russ, is a blending god(little g) so that is another reason why I shop at P&C often.
All of our sponsors are great for making this community possible though. :clap:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I always compare. If you are buying certain Dunhill, Rattray, Sam Gawaith, MacBaren, C&D, or McClelland - or any OTCs (and probably some others) - you need to check JR. They might not carry what you want, but if they do, it will be cheaper than anybody else.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I usually order through smokingpipes.com . Like mentioned before though, if there's a pipe or blend I really want and they don't have it I run over to another site sponsor CupoJoes. I've never ordered off of pipesandcigars.com but I've heard they're just as good to work with. Just surf through those and probably 4noggins and whoever has the most of what you want is the best to go with. Usually the pipes and blends are within $5 between the sites.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Often overlooked, Lil'Brown Smoke Shack has some amazing prices on bulk and tinned blends, if one lives where they ship. Shipping is reasonable as well, but with some odd ship day policy.

will

Might Stick Around
Jul 8, 2012
Smokingpipes and P&C are the 2 that I shop with most.

They both have great prices and ship very fast.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I agree with Will. And P&C often has discounts, too. Both places give free shipping with orders over a $100. That keeps me from dealing with some other places.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I find that I have to shop around. If I buy a pipe though, I will stock up on baccy that's on sale at the same site since the shipping is usually free.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I had a personal problem with something I bought from SmokingPipes.com, and they bent over backwards to make it right. 'nuff said. :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.