PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
Sunday, Herself asked me what tobacco I'd like to stock up on. My answer was G&H's Black Irish X. So we went shopping for it on the net. My normal supplier had jacked the price up by $16.00 a pound to $64.29. I went looking other places and found it for $50 per pound. I sent that vendor an e-mail asking if they did indeed have it in stock. They said they did, so I went back to order some. They jacked their price up to $69.00 a pound.

I suppose I'll just have to make do with what I have cellared.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
Supply and demand, Kevin. G&H has opened up in Spain and the USA isn't tops on their list. Undoubtly the SCHIP tax had something to do with it but that amounts to less that three dollars a pound.

The second vendor went from $50 to $69 between the time I sent my e-mail and when they answered me, a matter of three hours.

I have three or four years supply of it, so I'm not hurting. We wanted to get some more in before an annunity I have runs out.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Here's an interesting thing on prices too. Back in July, Florida (where I live) had the biggest tax increase on pipe tobacco ever. Iwan Ries posted on twitter that he had the new CAO pipe tobaccos for $9 a tin. I recently paid $15.50 at my local B&M.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
Between taxes, the internet and overhead, B&M's are quickly becomming a thing of the past. Unless they do a big business in cigars and accessories, they can't survive. That is then case with my B&M. They are more of a cigar store than a pipe store. They carry Savinelli, a few Petrerson's, their house brand pipes, made by Savinelli, and one or two moderately high grade freehands. The last time I was there, they had several house blends (read Lane) and one tin of University flake and one tin something else. Their cigar stock is riveled only by JR's. Unfortunatly for me, I don't smoke $10 cigars.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Same here in Ca. The only time I buy at the cigar/ BM is an impulse purchase. Pretty soon pot will be cheaper here.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I both online and from physical stores, but yes it is probably more impulse purchase from a physical store and planned purchase from an online store.
Thanks for helping me make that observation dunendain.
I have made impulse purses of several hundred dollars though.

seilerjp

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
PA is still not too bad. Prior to April 1 st, a pound of McClelland #5100 cost me $30. It is now up to $36 per pound at the local B&M.

Status
Not open for further replies.