Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2015
With the impending doom and gloom (or the perception thereof), I've successfully gained permission to place $100 orders each month for next 12 months to build a fallout cellar!
I'm formulating an approach to this whole thing, but suggestions are welcome.
This equates to roughly ten tins a month, or some tins and bulk combinations, but I'd like to get at-risk blends earlier in the process.
What do you all think?! Must haves, quantity, etc? Let the hoarding begin!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I would just get blends that may stop being produced, I just talked with one of the online retailers and they assured me the actual practice of buying and shipping tobacco online isn't going to change.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Shelling out $400/month until August here. Glad my kids bdays are in the Fall! :mrgreen:

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Depends on what you want to do. If you plan to smoke the stuff, only get tobacco that you like. Buy it in bulk too.

If you think you might make "an investment" and resell later then get things that are going to disappear like the already mentioned Syrian Latakia blends or some of the newer blends that won't be grandfathered in. No sense in having an unlimited supply of something you do not care for.

May 4, 2015
No interest in "investment". Just stuff I personally like. I am hoping someone puts together a list of post-Feb 2007 blends that should be considered first.
chasingembers, why the rush for August? I know that's then the new rules "go in to effect," but my understanding is nothing has to be pulled for 2 years even if it hasn't submitted a pre-market application.

May 4, 2015
It's all so confusing with blends that have been reintroduced or changed hands... no idea what's going to be grandfathered in.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
The only thing I can see happening with bulk blends is a sticker will be put on the bag, it's already the same in Canada, you buy bulk, they put it in a bag with a warning sticker on it, just a regular ziplock.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I really do not see the big concern with the FDA moving into tobacco. Let's be honest here, the FDA can be bought. Hell, sugar is still listed on the FDA's GRAS (generally recognized as safe) list.
We can all sit around and talk about it, or we can start raising money to pay the FDA off. That is how the big boys do it!

May 4, 2015
If they get paid off, they win. If I stockpile before they stick their noses in and don't have to buy tobacco again under their nannying, I win.

May 4, 2015
Just to say that I did, and don't trust a word that comes out of a governmental official's mouth.
I'm with you there. I don't know what's going to come of all of this, but I hope to get all the tins I need before ugly labels mess up the art work and some of the new, more innovative blends go the way of the dodo.

Dec 24, 2012
The only way we can right the ship is to vote for Weird Al Yankovic for President. I may start a thread on that later, as Kevin loves political discussions.
You guys are starting to get me to worry. I may have to start buying some more.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Oh, goodness, don't let Peck get started. That will be the end of available tobacco tins as we know it.
Harris! Where are you when we need you to get Peck in line?
The answer to this bag of FDA horrors is to form a Pipe Smokers and Tobacco Association of some sort and turn it into a specific lobbying animal for pipes and tobaccos. And then send it to Washington.
Now, I know that the IPCPR is bigtime. So is Cigar Rights of America. I applaud their efforts, though I am not a member of either.
Surely, some of the larger pipe tobacco manufacturers and us little guys can raise enough money to fund a lobbying group in Washington to fight the fight on the FDA's turf.
I'm just sayin'

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
Lucky b@$tards. I just got my first pipe two weeks ago. Absolutely l love it. I have the go ahead to spend a grand total of $30 a month... that's what almost a pound if I buy right?

May 4, 2015
$30/mo? Could be a pound, depending on the bulk blend, sure. If that were my budget, I'd be able to make use of it and have a pretty good cellar within a year with a mix of bulk and better quality tins. Or just spend each and every cent on Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake. For my money, that's the best you can buy per cheap ounce.
With my $100/mo, I'm hoping to reach a little broader field of offerings for stocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.