PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skapie

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2017
NSW, Australia
I've noticed that when my pipe goes out and I remove some ash before relighting that the ash is concentrated in the middle, and that some unburnt (brown) tobacconis still present along the sides of the bowl.
I smoke slowly (just a tad faster than the breath smoking method) and I try to take long, slow puffs to get the "cherry" to spread.
Is this something to correct or is it pretty normal?

The flavors that we taste is from the oils and essences of the surrounding tobacco being released by the heat from the cherry... not the actual burning tobacco. This is the same as with cigars, except the cigar flavors is from just behind the cherry. This is why I don't worry so much about pulling the spent tobacco back into the center to burn. But, yes, the cherry is usually just center of the bowl, not all of the way across.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
I also used to remove the ash when I started out, easy mistake to make. Remember the basics my friend, you the tobacco drier than you think, and packed looser than you think. Lightly tamp the ash down as you go, as the ash kind of insulates the cherry and keeps the bacco down below smoldering. Practice makes pretty good hehe :puffy:

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I'll chime in with a tip I learned way back in 1996. I was reading an issue of P&T Magazine that featured the great pipe maker and tobacco connoisseur Michael Butera. He said that he used a one speed food processor to chop up just about every blend he smoked. He said the quick blending does two things; it makes the various leaf in blends more uniform, than say, a chunk of Latakia on the left side of the bowl and a wad of Virginia on the right with a little Oriental in the center. And two, the packing of the chopped up leaf is much easier which keeps the tobacco burning evenly.
I first tried my wife's 10 speed blender but at even the lowest setting, I wound up with tobacco puree' and got chewed out the next morning when the wife found Latakia shards in her freshly made orange juice. I then went out and bought a 1 speed Black and Decker food processor and have been using it ever since. Butera was spot on.

Jan 8, 2013
When I tamp th' baccy down, I tend t' tamp around th' edges o' th' bowl, sometimes a bit at an angle as if makin' a wee mound in th' center. Usually works well fer me.
Edit to add: It's September 19th. International Talk Like A Pirate Day :mrgreen:

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
+1 on that Anthony ye scurvy beast!

I first got that tip from user baronsamedi and that usually works great for me , tamping at an angle. I rarely dump ashes mid-bowl

Jan 8, 2013
+1 on that Anthony ye scurvy beast!

I first got that tip from user baronsamedi and that usually works great for me , tamping at an angle. I rarely dump ashes mid-bowl
Blisterin' Barnacles, Baronsamedi! Th' Baron o' Black House, as I used t' call 'im. He created a fandom o' Black House (Black Bloods) much like Captain Ember's Brothers O' Th' Black Frigate here on th' forums. But on a greater scale. We shall reach that level o' greatness!

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
It would be nearly impossible for the tobacco not to burn down deeper in the middle. The chamber wall restricts airflow, so the tobacco will always burn more in the center. I agree with tamping from the edge toward the middle, and I always leave the ash on top to help keep the combustion temperature a bit lower.
Russ

quint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2017
Interesting topic. I have no problems with uneven burning. I avoid wet aromatics, smoke my tobaccos on the dry side, tamp regularly, and dump the ash once about halfway through the bowl. And it usually burns down to the bottom of the bowl in a fine ash with no wetness or dottle.
But if one is smoking a wet aromatic or a very wide bowl, then uneven or incomplete burning may be more of a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.