PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
I do not want to appear like I am beating a dead horse, or am being confrontational. In response to my earlier thread it was suggested I leave out the links to the private company [that uses Tax supported R&D] and proclaims to work with governments in creating new tobacco laws.
While researching the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act I saw how tobacco legislation started out with cigarettes. On September 22, 2009 flavored tobacco was banned for cigarettes [a significant time for the GMO tobacco company as well.] Roll your own tobacco being subject to the ban. The FDA then came down on pipe tobacco be sold as a substitute for RYO tobacco. On May 10, 2016 The "Deeming Rule" fully put pipe tobacco under federal control.
When exclusive products are legally mandated on a populace it creates a monopoly. Only big business can afford to buy in, or fund their own original research. While the thread focused on new cigarette tobacco laws, pipe smokers should take notice because cigarettes are the canary in the tobacco world. Like all patented plants, patent rights must be paid for each new crop. If the law requires low nicotine tobacco. Then it threatens all small tobacco growers.
It seems this genetically modified tobacco is allowed to inspire laws, to ensure it's market viability. The company works hand in hand with governments, including the USA. Looking at the circumstantial evidence, I felt I saw something that gave me insight into what is really behind the new tobacco legislation.

It was Mr Creasy, then CEO of Sutliffe that said in the very beginning that it was a battle between cigarettes and RYO companies that brought the FDA down on us. This was just before the Deeming laws were created. Since I started listening to the PM Radioshow and participating on the forum, we've known the cigarette industry has had a very visual presence in influencing the FDA. It's not been a secret at all. They wanted to make RYO being sold as pipe tobacco to stop, and make the vape industry submit to the same rules that they do. They wanted cigars and pipes to submit as well. It was big cig that nailed chewing tobacco and then bought out the industry. You can go back years and years on here.
But, you're take is different. But, it's just a new spin on why. No matter how you cut it, ultimately big-cig wants to own the whole tobacco industry. At least we have hobby growers keeping seed banks alive and thriving.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's not news that Big Tobacco had a hand in crafting the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act. It's been pretty widely documented and last year, when the Deeming Rules were announced, quite a lot was written about the causes and consequences of the Deeming Rules including the near monopoly it would create for Big Tobacco while putting smaller producers (who mainly service the premium cigar and pipe tobacco market) at a serious disadvantage. I think that a lot of us are already very aware of the situation.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
It rubs the lotion on the skin or else it gets the hose again.....
jay-roger.jpg

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
It seems the low nicotine tobacco will bring exclusive profits to bio-engineering firms and big tobacco as they will also try to regulate the exact amount of nicotine consumed. This reminds me of how Monsanto engineered seeds so they had to be purchased every season. There is no more using part of your yield to grow next year's crop of "improved" corn. I can just see the low nicotine tobacco having the same properties by "coincidence." Small time seed banks are going to be extremely valuable as mono-culture continues to reduce genetic diversity. (sigh)

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
The only way to future proof against worst case scenarios that I can think of, is to form tobacco cooperatives. A group of people who voluntarily produce their own blend from seed to finished product. As long as the it is not a profit making enterprise it should be out of the jurisdiction of any government body. I for one would love to be a part of such a coop. Looking at the cost of tobacco presses is a bit discouraging, but I suppose it could be built more cheaply with some mechanical improvisation.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Small time seed banks are going to be extremely valuable as mono-culture continues to reduce genetic diversity."
I'll second that. This of course applies to all seeds, not just tobacco.
Regards,
Jay.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
http://wivb.com/2017/09/21/clarence-based-company-stands-alone-on-future-of-tobacco/

This link from the local news station in Buffalo, the city that also hosts the Bioengineered Tobacco Company.

Here they are bragging how the FDA is working diligently to promote the tobacco that their local business has exclusive rights for. Here is a quote from the article:

"On July 28th, the FDA announced it would begin the process of replacing traditional tobacco with a very low nicotine counterpart. And as it turns out, the only company in the world to have that capability at this moment, is from Clarence, and their lab, where all the magic happens, is in downtown Buffalo."
It seems to me that the FDA is a little too cozy with this private business. Or maybe I am wrong, maybe Federal government is supposed to involve themselves with luxury good companies and force legislation mandating that every other business buy from them. I hope a company doesn't form that gets tax supported research to genetically engineer dogs that cannot bark, the federal government may force everyone who wants a dog to pay royalties to the patent holding company in order to reduce noise pollution.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"The company has been selling its very low nicotine cigarettes to the U.S. government for research purposes since 2011."
Not sure why but I find that statement to be rather comical.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.