PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokenkrayon

Might Stick Around
Jul 17, 2014
This last week, I went on a trip with my family, and packed a couple of pipes and tins that I have been trying. I ended up leaving them inside my camera bag in the back of my Jeep all day. After pulling them out, the tins were very hot. I let everything cool down in the hotel overnight. The next morning, I went out for a smoke. I opened my current favorite H&H Caramel Apple Pie, and loaded up my MM. The CA smelled a little off, and tasted very sour. Later I loaded up my churchwarden briar with some Sutcliffe Molto Dolce, and had a similar experience, very sour smoke.
Did I ruin these tins, or will they come back to life?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
They could have developed some mold in the heat and humidity. Usually tobacco survives a hot car pretty well.

It's not where you want to store it, but it doesn't usually go down hill. But if the taste is bad, something is wrong,

and I don't think just re-hydrating it will help.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Let the tobacco dry for a bit. If that doesn't hep, you may need to invest in some fresh stuff.

But to tell you the truth, I've done the same thing a few times, and the tobacco came back. However, if a mold developed, that's the end of it.

brokenkrayon

Might Stick Around
Jul 17, 2014
It could be the pipes then, as I did happen to leave my cleaners at home. I will give it a try again after some rest. I have a couple of new pipes on the way.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I keep one or two sealed jars containing my commuting tobacco in my car. It is mostly parked in a garage and I cover with a hat to protect from direct sunlight at other times.
This morning, I smoked a bowl of GLPease Jacknife ready rub that has been in the car at least two weeks. There was only a tablespoon or so of the leaf left and it was noticeably dryer than when right out of the tin. I have to say it smoked even better than fresh. If I hadn't known the source, someone might have convinced me it had been aged a year or so.
I'm not saying that leaving your bacs in the car is good practice but for me, this was a happy accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.