PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
Mates,
I'm ready to make a big tobacco purchase. I've found a lot of the blends I like to try in bulk. What I'm planning on doing is buying a small amount of each of the tobaccos I want to try. I have my 4 or 5 current blends in individual mason jars. Rather than buying 20+ mason jars for the new order can I get away with purchasing one big tobacco jar and storing each of the upcoming bulk blends in individual zip locks in the one tobacco jar? Please advise. Thanks.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
I'd try to avoid it, especially if you're mixing different types of blends (Englishes/Balkans, VA's/VaPer's, Aromatics)

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
That's what I alluded to and I don't think I was clear on that: bag them individually, but only store baggies of the same blend in a single jar. No mixing of blended bags in a jar.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Plastic bags are permeable and will leach out the 'aroma' of whatever tobacco you have stored in it. Only keep like/similar blends in one jar.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I've read that article before and I belief that virgin mason jars are sterile but it is most likely because the manufacturer subjects them to a sterilization bath during the manufacturing process. Try this: when you open a brand new jar for the first time stick your nose in the jar and take a deep breath. The disgusting chemical smell is quite noticeable. I prefer to wash my new jars.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Yes, I always wash out new jars with soap and hot water as there is indeed a discernible unpleasant smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.