PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
I know this topic has come up before and I don't mean to flog it to death but I would really like to get the whole thing straight in mind, if y'all care to indulge me. A few questions:
1. Is jarring only suitable for cellaring purposes or for dipping in and out of on a fairly regular basis? (I only smoke one to three bowls a day and I have several blends in circulation. I wonder is jarring a good way of preventing them from drying out in their tins, without making the jarring process redundant by keeping them in circulation.)
2. Is jarring only suitable for comparatively large amounts of tobacco? At the moment I only have a maximum of 50 grams of any given blend, and I'm afraid this is too little to jar effectively.
3. Are the jars used just screw-top jam jars or is there a specific type?
4. Is there more to be done than just putting the tobacco in the jar and screwing on the lid?
I think that's about it. Thank you for any or all responses!

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
For me, mason jars are the best way to keep an opened tin fresh, since I only smoke two bowls per day and have about six tins open at one time. This works great for short term storage. They come in half pint sizes, so perfect for 50g of tobacco.
I also understand that if you keep them sealed, mason jars can be used effectively for long term storage as well.
There is an article somewhere where Russ from P&C.com describes a process for jarring long term. He advises to warm the packed jars in the sink with water, but I just screw on the lids.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Dryseason
Exhaustive discussions have been posted in the past and there is a way to search for them on the forum.
I have about 30 open 'tins' at the same time as I alternate between Va's and English daily.
My procedure, when opening a 1.75oz tin is to immediately empty the contents into a 4 oz ball or mason jar, label and date it.
If it is 4 oz or more (say, buying in bulk), I have the appropriate size mason/ball jars handy to store. I have found that leaving it in tins after opening will eventually dry out the tobacco unless it is used within a couple of weeks or even less. So far, anything I've put into mason jars has kept nearly perfectly into a year now.
As someone has already researched, there is absolutely no need to wash out a mason jar from the factory; in fact, washing it out leaves more contaminants than leaving it alone.
Hope this helps

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Jars are suitable for short term storage as well as for cellaring.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
To answer your first question,

Yes, you can use your jars for both short and long term storage.
Question number two,

In my opinion, it doesn't matter the amount of tobacco you put in a jar. That being said, I've found that pint jars are perfect for about 100gr., and 1/2 pint are in turn, appropriate for 50gr. or so of tobacco.
Question three,

Use a jar with a two-piece lid, such as Ball "Mason" jars or Kerr brand jars.
Question four,

If the jar is unused, just put the tobacco in and screw the lid on! If it's used, make sure it's been sanitized.
Hope this helps,

Dan

nscoyote

Might Stick Around
Oct 19, 2013
while i have only JUST gotten back into pipehood, either screw top or bail top preserve jars are what i have always used for long and short term storage of many items. they can be had in smaller sizes perfect for 50g or larger sizes for upwards of a 1Lb amount. Due to beign canadian and a 4-5+ bowl/day smoker buy in bulk cause its 1/4 of the cost then buying in 50gr pouches, i have a 1 pint jar i use for day to day smoking and larger 1/2L and 1L jars to store longer term and pull from to fill my 1pint daily jar.
this is the type of jar i prefer to use for my uses

630ml_Drahtbuegel03_2__1976_0.jpg

kcpoe

Might Stick Around
Oct 9, 2013
1. Is jarring only suitable for cellaring purposes or for dipping in and out of on a fairly regular basis? (I only smoke one to three bowls a day and I have several blends in circulation. I wonder is jarring a good way of preventing them from drying out in their tins, without making the jarring process redundant by keeping them in circulation.)
I put everything I have in jars. Period. Bulk: Jarred. Tins: Jarred.
2. Is jarring only suitable for comparatively large amounts of tobacco? At the moment I only have a maximum of 50 grams of any given blend, and I'm afraid this is too little to jar effectively.
Jarring is suitable for small and large quantities. However, I jar my large 8oz or more orders in pint jars and transfer smaller amounts into half pint jars. So....everyting I have is jarred in the appropriate size jar. A) big jars for keeping. B) Little jars for smoking.
3. Are the jars used just screw-top jam jars or is there a specific type?
2 lid system, Ring and plate. The tobacco will (over time) cause the pup up button on the plate to seal (or depress). This is desirable. Dont worry about your smaller jars depressing because they will be open / closed a few times as you smoke. The bigger jars you wanna look for it to seal, otherwise there may be an air leak.
4. Is there more to be done than just putting the tobacco in the jar and screwing on the lid?
Nope. Put it in...try and pack it in pretty tight with a bit of pushing. Put her in and let her sit ;]
Big jar for bulk

Little jar for smoking

If you dont have enough tobacco to fill the big one...just use the smaller jars.

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
I'd call myself a noobie when it comes to jarring. But I just place my tins or bulks in half pint jars, put the lids and bands on, and they always seem to seal after a week or two. They always come out just as fresh as the day I jarred them. Best of luck! :puffy:

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
you'll hear a "pinging click"
I remember when I first started jarring a few months ago, I thought the jar was about to break when I heard that noise. Just about everything that can be said has been said.

~Ron

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Final thought: how would plastic zip-loc food bags work? They're more cost effective than jars, easier to store, and can seal very tightly depending on the quality.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
all good advice here... I personally like to give my jars a really good clean before I use them as well, even if the jars are brand new. I will soak them in VERY hot water and a mild soap solution for a few minutes then let air dry before I cellar my tobacco.. Good luck!

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
Hey guys, i think i get it here, so i should take my vaccum sealed tins and put them into mason jars?I have jars ready to use.Iam thinking i should go ahead and transfer these tins into mason jars.Iam i right or wrong?
Thanks.
Mike.

timely

Jan 23, 2012
- "you'll hear a "pinging click", I had about 10 jars do it at the same time, freaky. LOL!!!!

Excellent advice here.

On using Zip-Loc bags. Put a slice of bread in a Zip-Loc, and after a few days you'll have a dry, crusty piece of bread. It just doesn't seal out the air as well as advertised. However, I like to keep my bags in the jars, so that I can grab one to put in my tobacco pouch for smoking on-the-go. But, after a day with the baggie out of the jar, I always notice the tobacco starting to get crispy.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Do you reckon it would be enough to use a regular commercial jam/sauce/preservative jar, washed out of course? (It might be obvious by now that I'm trying to do this as cheaply as I can :P)

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Mike, the sealed tins are just that: sealed. You will not find a more airtight container. Now, if you think that some O2 will help the aging process, then, yes, move it to a jar. One advantage to keeping sealed cans is that if, years down the road, you decide that you will never smoke that blend, you can always eBay it and get your money back out of it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I store all my open tins in plastic tupperware like containers. I normally have 20 plus tins open at the same time and these containers keep my tobacco fresh for months. I am way to lazy to be jarring tinned tobacco when I can just throw bunches of them in containers.
The opaque containers with the white lids are what I am talking about. They come in a 4 pack of 4 different sizes from walmart for about 6 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.