PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Being a newcomer to plug and rope tobaccos it occurred to me yesterday how nice it would be to have a small guillotine at hand to enable the perfect cutting of plugs and ropes. I thought I had 'invented' the idea, however a quick Google search told me otherwise.
I saw images of exactly what I had in my mind's eye albeit antiques. Apparently they were all part of a tobacconist's shop kit used obviously for the cutting of plugs and ropes for customers.
However I saw no images nor read of any modern devices and wondered if any forum members were aware of a place that sells such.
If I am unable to buy one I may get the village blacksmith to knock me one up (I no longer have a workshop of my own else I would make one myself).
So folks...has anyone any idea where I might buy one? I know a cigar cutter can be used for ropes but my main interest is the cutting of plugs.
Regards,
Jay.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I know the owns you are talking about. Searchs through antique stores may turn one up, or maybe even the local flea market. I have seen them on eBay but hard to tell their condition, when you do find one ensure that the screws are not seized up in it. Makes it easier to remove the blade for sharpening, also look for ones that haven't been overly restored, I've seen a few of these. They look like a thick layer of paint was slapped over rust. Happy Hunting.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Jeep, I have seen one or two on Ebay but as you say, it's difficult to determine their condition.
As for kitchen guillotines I can only find ones suitable for cutting baguettes! Not quite the same thing Kanse.
I have to say I am surprised somewhat that no modern manufacturer makes them as from what I have read pipe smoking has experienced something of a renaissance these last few years. Someone with a little knowhow and business sense could make a killing I reckon. I would certainly buy one!
Regards,
Jay.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I've researched the matter and haven't found anything suitable and affordable for cutting plugs that is currently being manufactured. It's all antiques.
Then, of course, there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRyfuk0ydrU
and McSwiat makes a $349 cutter...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jx8ntcEp5g
http://www.tobaccoandmachines.com/index.php
(Why doesn't a YouTube link embed anymore?)

darthcider

Jan 24, 2014
Wales
Amazon and other places sell paper guillotines.

Hard to tell how robust they are, but they look like tobacco cutters with a swinging hinged blade.

Only about 20 quid.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Woods, those youtube videos were great viewing, particularly the first, thanks for taking the time.
Darth I did see the paper guillotines but I need something with a roughly 6 inch square footprint.
I reckon a visit to the blacksmith is in order as I just cannot find anything on the web.
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I just dug out an old miniature (cheese?) cleaver (about 6 inches long inc handle) and gave it a quick sharpen on the Dremel and tried it out on some FV Plug...it cut a treat! Much easier than using my super sharp pocket knife.
Now I have the most important component of my 'guillotine' yet to be made...am well chuffed as I thought I had thrown it out years ago. It even has a hole drilled in the right place on the top corner of the blade though this was only intended for hanging it on a kitchen hook.
Regards,
Jay.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
This is my Ulu knife that Les mentioned above. It works very well and a bit of practice you can get very thin slices. I bought this from Alaska Cutlery. Very nice people and speedy service.
OG9eVle.jpg

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
I have one similar to this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Empire-Tobacco-Plug-Cast-Iron-Cutter-/191995778506?hash=item2cb3d715ca:g:L-IAAOSwAuZX6XUJ
The blade was dull and chipped. I had to drill out the 2 screws holding the blade, then sharpen and temper it. It's a very nice piece of tobacco history and it cuts plugs and ropes nicely.
I like the old vintage stuff. Anything that is a 100 years old you should expect to have to do some work to it to bring it back up to snuff.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Michael, I had to laugh at your experience using a mandolin. I considered that option for about a millisecond but thoughts of bloody knuckles swayed it. You think you suffered having your stone removed? You wimp...I suggest you read of Samuel Pepys' experience of the same. It brought tears to my eyes!
I did look at these Ulu knives (great pic Pap) but have set my mind on a mini guillotine so a mini guillotine it has to be I'm afraid.
Regards,
Jay.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
If you are talking about something for just occasional personal use then you might consider an electric deli meat slicer. Not the commercial type but the type made for personal use. Has adjustable thickness, is supposed to be robust enough to slice frozen meats, and aren't terribly expensive. I've never tried one but might be worth considering if you smoke a lot of ropes or plugs.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UDN75QQ/ref=psdc_1090758_t3_B0061TWKTI

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Torque, thanks for the suggestion but a sharp blade on the end of an electric motor with my fingers millimetres away gives me the willies :oops:
I looked into the Ulu knife and block...£130 on Amazon...no thank you!
I would love to see any homemade guillotines that members may have made or had made.
I just tried cutting Brown Bogie rope with my mini cleaver and it worked a treat but did need a cutting action so therefore would not be ideal for my thus far imaginary guillotine which of course would not have a cutting action, just a straight down cut though it would work fine for plugs.
Regards,
Jay.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
LOL, deli slicers don't work that way. Your fingers would never be close to the blade. But if it doesn't appeal to you that's understandable. I've often thought of getting one just to see how well it would work.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
What do you want a guillotine for jay? Seems a bit dramatic & far too French for me. I looked at getting an 'ulu' but settled for an American 'Buck Knife'. Which you can get from English suppliers. Guaranteed for life as well. Regards, Simon.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Simon, I don't actually need a guillotine, I just thought it would be nice to have one and by the way, there is no knife like a Sheffield made knife...end of story :puffy:
Shame on you for buying a foreign one :nana:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.