PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I was going to post a question, originally, if anyone knew of a guide with all the different types of tobaccos and blends used in pipe tobacco. For new pipe smokers like myself, all the talk of Burley, Latakia, Perique, Cavandish, Virginias, Englishes, Kentuckies, and all the different types of the above named and any I didn't mention, and all the different blends and mixes and concoctions and cuts of them all are a bit... *deep breath* ... *exhale*... overwhelming to say the least. Well instead, I did a quick search online and found this little beauty which helps put things into perspective. I almost put this in Pipe Smoking Basics & Beginner Questions but chose to put it here instead. If a mod feels it should be there, by all means do so.
http://thepipesmoker.wordpress.com/tobaccos/
I'm sure some veterans here could add to this guide as well. We newbies need all the help we can get.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Anthony:
Thanks for posting this -- and my congratulations to you for even digging into this. For me, exploring these different leaves is one of the main pleasures in pipe smoking, but I think a lot of folks don't bother taking the time. And then they end up thinking they don't like latakia when it's actually perique that's bothering them. . . or they don't understand that Kentucky is a variety of burley or that different orientals bring very different flavors to a blend. I think the more we know, the better equipped we are to appreciate the stuff we're actually smoking.
Bob

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks for posting this Anthony. I have read similar descriptions before and it is always fun to re visit and maybe learn even more. I have recently been smoking more blends with Kentucky in them and really enjoy their unique flavors.

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks all :) I thought it would give some of you veterans a break when someone like me asks, "What's the difference between latakia and cavendish?" Saving you from a red spot on your foreheads when palm strikes face. I've bookmarked it as well, and I'm sure I'll take a look at it whenever I order tobacco in the future. I'm sure the reference or another like it would make a great sticky too. But that's up to the mods. :)

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
"What's the difference between latakia and cavendish?"
Wait. There's a difference between latakia and cavendish?! Next you'll be telling something silly like perique is only produced in one tiny area of Louisiana. . .
Bob

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Thanks for the post. I have to print all this out & put it in a binder because I have CRS bad.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
I put this one in my favorites so I can check it out as needed. Instymp and Lawrence, you could try memory pills if you could remember to take them.

Did you take your pill? WHAT PILL?

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Great, yet another page to add to my already lengthy bookmark list under "pipes" LOL

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Milton's is a good book, but I think the best ever on the subject was written by Carl Ehwa "The Book of Pipes and Tobacco", it's well worth seeking out!!!
I agree: Ehwa's is the best book on pipes and tobaccos I've ever come across. . . and I've read a lot of what's been published on the subject since the late 1800s. His book is from the early 70s, so it isn't absolutely up-to-date, but some things never change. The history, the story of all the different kinds of tobaccos and blends, tons of color photographs. It is an education, but it is also very entertaining and well-written.
There are even some mild shocks. For instance, when this book was written, Ehwa notes that all latakia production in Syria had stopped. "They no longer produce latakia," he wrote. Thankfully, we've seen some wonderful Syrian crops since then. But now we're back in that unfortunate state.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
imho the best guide to tobaccos is your own palate. gotta try them all and get your brain to recognize their tastes in different methods of preparation and in combination with others. just thinking about the broad spectrum a normal yellow virginia can display depending on country of origin, curing, aging, preparation etc is overwhelming and thats a single leaf. on top, it even tastes quite different from person to person ...

Status
Not open for further replies.