PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
Am wondering what the impact is on smoking tobacco that is dry, perhaps drier than normal. Was gifted a sample of Magnum Opus by fnord who indicated that it ships dry and suggested rehydrating it. I did not, but was wondering if that impacted the smoke. And I just smoked a bowl of Proper English that was very dry; almost dry enough to turn to dust. But it smoked fine (I think) and I enjoyed it. Was wondering if rehydrating would alter the taste and smoking characteristics, and, if so, in what way. Thanks!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
IMO, there's no scientific way that we, as the smoker, can say for sure what the absolute correct moisture is for a given blend. It's up to your own judgement. For me, I have a very exact measuring system; not as wet as Red Man, and not as dry as the Sahara!

auslander

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2013
I had some Nightcap sitting out for a day and a half that seemed pretty dry but I thought I'd smoke it any way. I expected it to burn quickly and be strawlike but it was perfect and a great smoke.

henryp

Lurker
Aug 17, 2013
Chicago
I have found the "pinch test" to work well. If you pick up a pinch of your smoke and it sticks together when you drop it it's a little too wet.
If you pick up and pinch some and it crumbles and falls in a rain of tobacco, it's too dry.
When you pick up and pinch it and it seems to fall away with a soft patter and falls into a nice heap, it's ready to smoke.
This seems to work for me. Good luck!

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
I prefer my tobacco a bit on the dry side,

smokes better for me.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I also prefer mine a bit on the dry side. In my earlier days I used to chuck tobacco that "seemed" dried out (this was only cheap bulk from my B&M) but I now almost prefer popping a tin, letting some tobacco sit for 30-40 min, then putting the tin away for 3-4 months before I have at it again. I don't have the cellars most of you gents do so having 8-10 popped tins works for me.

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
I have smoked dust dry tobacco before, especially flakes which I break up. As roth said, in this state they will burn hotter and faster, so slowly does it is the order of the day. When smoked slowly, I have found the flavours excellent, without the harshness.
IMO, there's no scientific way that we, as the smoker, can say for sure what the absolute correct moisture is for a given blend.
I think this is very true - and every bowl smokes will have a differing moisture content in the tobacco. Different moisture contents calls for differing smoking techniques.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
I mentioned somewhere else about some rubbed-out University Flake I left lying around too long. When I went to smoke it it was as brittle as matchsticks and tasted like cindered chicken bones. I stopped smoking for a while and when I picked it up again recently, with more vigour, I threw out several left-over flakes and some Hyde Park, assuming them to be too dry. At that point I had not heard of such a thing as rehydration. My God, am I kicking myself now.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
I prefer my tobaccos on the dry side and if they are really dry I just fill the bowl and a couple breaths into the top of the chamber is all that's needed for plenty of moisture believe it or not. It's amazing how dry a tobacco can feel and still contain plenty of moisture. Nothing worse than a pipe that gurgles IMO.
As for rehydrating, Roth is correct. Any tobacco that has been over dried loses precious oils and definitely loses a bit of flavor.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
In addition to 'personal smoker preference' determining dryness, it also varies by tobacco. I smoked the bottom of a tin of Triple Play that I had previously rubbed out thinking I'd be back to finish it sooner. It was pretty dry but I packed it, dialed the number to the burn unit and light up. It turned out to be a delightful smoke. I called back and cancelled my reservation at the hospital. Meanwhile, I opened a 'hermetically sealed' pouch of Granger today that was just a little too dry by my standards and I was on the verge of not enjoying it. I am not actually comparing a GLP to Granger so stand down the executioner but those are two of my recent experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.