PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

roverblue

Lurker
Feb 17, 2012
I was anxious to have some Petersons Perfect Plug this morning . It seemed a bit moist after I sliced it up, so I spread it on a sheet of paper and gave it 20 seconds in the microwave. It came out just right! Anyone else ever tried this? I've read about baking tins in the oven to promote flavor, but haven't heard anyone mention this technique.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've done it a few times. Usually 10 seconds does it for me. I think quite a few people nuke flakes and plugs rather than wait for them to dry a bit naturally.

I know some who bake them but I've never done it and doubt I will.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I baked a tin of Reiner Long Golden Flake, a VaPer, using Hanna's method and it improved it somewhat, but not enough to justify the effort. But that won't dry a tobacco because the tin (or jar) must be sealed. For drying, I use a low velocity hot air blower and a small but deep aluminum baking tin. Check out this earlier post.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yes, I do it from time to time when I haven't planned my smokes too well. I usually do 8-10 seconds and air it out a few more minutes after that. I will only do this when I am in a rush otherwise I think it is somewhat of a poor practice.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I have heard that many people do this but I can't say that I ever have. I normally just smoke something that is ready while I wait for that which isn't.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
Just don't do what I did. Left some flakes in the oven and because I was gaming, I totally forgot about it.
Although the second hand smoke was lovely.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
I have only used the microwave to sterilize some Brazilian Arapiraca rope tobaccos after trimming off some moldy spots. Microwaved for 15 seconds in sterilized lidless jelly jars, then immediately sealed to create a vacuum as the jar & contents cooled. No recurrence of the mold after 3 months. I'll sample the ropes in 6-9 months, or longer if I forget about them (more than likely for me).

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I only did it once and the wife saw me and slapped me on the back of the head. With that said, I nuked a flake for 8 seconds and it was okay, but I'd prefer to just leave a few flakes out and let it dry naturally. The taste is better that way.

Jan 8, 2013
Forget the microwave folks. The microwave will work sometimes, but not all the time. 20 seconds in the microwave one day may be fine, but on another day with the same tobacco dry it out too much. Roverblue here is my method...
I use a coffee cup warmer similar to this... http://www.amazon.com/KUWAN-Coffee-Warmer-Beverage-110V/dp/B018NZ1AXY/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1458522912&sr=1-4&keywords=coffee+cup+warmer . Mine has a low and high heat setting. I use both depending on how quickly I want my tobacco. I place my tobacco in a flat bottomed coffee filter and put that on the warmer. It sits near my computer so I can browse the forums or anything else while periodically reaching over and mixing it up a bit with my fingers. This allows you to get the tobacco at just about right every time as you're feeling it every time you mix it up and so therefore have more control over the dryness of your tobacco as opposed to microwaving. It takes a little bit longer, but it's worth it in the end in my opinion.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Any method of drying —or rehydrating— can be overdone, but with a microwave, you find out much faster! :)

If overdone, add it to the wet stuff, mix it, and give it a bit of time to equalize out. That works with any method of drying.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
We've probably all done it on a number of occasions, Rover. It's not ideal but it'll certainly do in a pinch.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.