Tobacco Cellaring Question and Possible Concern.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Hey everyone! I have decided that I am going to buy a few pounds of pipe tobacco (I haven't decided which blends or brands yet) and store it for later and also to age it. I keep reading that aromatics will only age for 2 years or less. My question is, if I am not concerned with aging my favorite aromatic, can I vacuum seal the aromatic blend and then put the bag into a mason jar to keep it longer than 2 years? I want to store the aromatics just in case the price jumps (I am a poor college kid with an expensive wife lol), not to age it. Does that sound like a good way to keep the aromatic "fresh"?
Now to my concern. I am going to cellar a blend or two for aging and I plan on getting a few pounds for this purpose, but my concern is that I keep my house around 70 degrees during the summer and at about 75 during the winter. Is this too high of a temperature?
Oh, and as an after thought how do you guys test the humidity of the jar without opening it? Or am I supposed check it before I seal the mason jar?
Thanks in advance for all the help everyone!

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I would skip the vacuum sealed bag and just pack it into small mason jars. I like to pack it into several smaller jars so that those that are aging can remain undisturbed while I smoke through the rest of the stash one jar at a time.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Even with aromatics? I heard they aren't so good after a few years in a jar? I plan on buying about 6-10 pounds of tobacco and at least 3 pounds of it will be aromatic. I only get to smoke 1 or 2 bowls a day so 2 oz. lasts me for awhile and I am afraid I wouldn't smoke it all in time.

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
We had some discussion about vacuum seal and if I remember right it was kinda redundant to do it. Correct me if I'm wrong but a little air inside a seal jar/tin helps the aging process along and for it to age nicely. Also another point was that the vacuum seals can lose there seals and let air in regardless with time. I think you should try out the aromatics for yourself and see what you think just with mason jars unless someone else has a better suggestion. I'm am also curious about the humidity issue because I'm looking at doing the same thing.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Well the redundancy is kinda what I was going for :) I want to put the sealed bags into the Mason jars just in cas the bag loses it's seal. That way the tobacco will still have two years if the sealed bag doesn't hold. Does that make sense?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
These might help:
http://pipesmagazine.com/python/pipe-news/pipe-tobacco-storage/
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/question-on-pipe-tobacco-usage#post-10929
You might want to scroll back to the top of the page on the second link.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I have tins of ARO older than two years old . I just use Mason Jars and clean lids for bulk .I do like to pack my jars a little drier and I watch them real close for any signs of moisture inside . Then to the back of closet they go . I can get about 8oz in a quart jar . Small jars are good for putting 4oz baggie samples in , leave in the bag and toss them in . Be advised I live north of Houston so we have a built in humidor here . So i store my tobacco more to keep drier moisture levels that I like than to cellar for long term . Prince Albert and Carter Hall have a shelf life of over 1000 years they are so loaded with humicants they dont need mason jars .LMAO

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I think I am going to just run with the mason jars and leave it at that. I think I will try and make it as simple as possible!
I am going to put about 4-6 oz. per jar, sounds like the perfect number to me. Thanks for the info and opinions guys!

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I've never heard that aromatics only last for 2 years in storage. I would be tempted to think that they don't go bad or anything after a couple years but that they probably don't necessarily improve. I could maybe see the casing becoming a bit less prominent, but I don't think they would become unsmokable or unpleasant.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Well that makes sense... I must have read it all wrong! I understood that it became an unpleasant smoking after a few years. I guess I am going to run with it. Now to go spend some serious money and get the wife mad at me! Any suggestions on bulk blends I should buy?

petersonsman

Lurker
Jul 6, 2009
There are so many different types of aros out there. Pstlpkr suggested Lane 1q, one of the best IMO. No synthetic moisturizers and very little additives, with this criteria I believe you could cellar for years with no problem. Good luck and have fun!

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I think lane 1q will compose about 2 pounds of my cellar, I want to get a few pounds of two other tobaccos.
I have never had any Stokeby's Bulls Eye Flake, any other suggestions?

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
PS Navy Flake and I like the Swiss not overly topped . PS blends are a good buy in bulk . To me Lane seems over done with PG and such . Rattrays Black Mallory changes into something wonderful after three years in a jar . But it is high dollar weed .

staffwalker

Lurker
Jun 12, 2009
Here is the method I have used for years and have never had anything go wrong. Use Mason jars but they don't have to be new, use old ones if you have them and wash them thoroughly. The important thing is to use a NEW lid for each jar, they are very cheap and can be purchased at any grocery store. I always buy new rings also but you can use old ones provided they are free of rust and not bent and misshapen.
I run the jars, new or old, through the dish washer but you can wash by hand if you don't have a dish washer. (Use hot water as hot as your hands can stand, rinse well, soap makes tobacco taste bad). When the washer stops and before it has a chance to go into drying cycle, take the jars out and place on the counter-top, openings down, on a clean towel. There will be a little moisture left in the jars but it will be hot, sterilized, water from the dish washer. I don't dry them, preferring to put my tobacco up with a little moisture rather than too dry. When they are opened if the tobacco is too moist for your taste, leave it open for an hour or so, it will dry out to suit you.
Open a box of new lids, separate them and place in a sauce pan of water on the stove. The water should be just at the simmering point to soften the rubber seals. Be careful you don't allow it to boil because boiling water will melt the rubber.
Pick up a jar, fill with loose tobacco, (you can pack it rather tight or leave it loose, doesn't seem to matter much, in my opinion, although loose jars may seem to age a little more rapidly), place in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds WITHOUT the lid. (I wouldn't do more than 30 seconds, you don't want to cook the tobacco as it may change the taste. The purpose of this step is to heat the tobacco to insure a good seal when you place a lid on the jar. (As the heated air in the jar cools it will contract, pull the lid tight and seal the jar). Take it out of the microwave,check there are no flakes of tobacco between the lip of the jar and the rubber seal under the lid. and immediately place a new lid on the top of the jar and hand tighten a ring to hold it in place. Sit it aside and do another one. If you have heated the jar and tobacco correctly in about 10-15 minutes you will hear a pop as the lid seals. You can test each one by pressing in the center of the lid. If you press down and the lid center springs back it is not sealed. Let it sit overnight, in the morning if it hasn't sealed, reheat in microwave and use a new lid.
Once it is sealed, you are good to go, the tobacco will keep forever or until the lid rusts through in about 25 years. Do not, never, open a jar until you are ready to smoke it. If opened, the seal is lost. In a couple of weeks the rubber will have made a semi-permanent seal with the jar. At this point, you can leave the rings on or take them off for re-use.
I smoke a lot so I like to use pint jars but if you don't smoke so much use 1/2 pint jars. A pint jar lasts me a couple of weeks and never dries out as long as I replace the lid and tighten the ring down after I fill a pipe. bob gilbert

Status
Not open for further replies.