PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zak85

Lurker
Sep 2, 2012
Hi guys, hopefully you are all doing well. I am a brand-new pipe smoker. I picked it up a couple of days ago. I don't use tobacco much in general. However, I'd like to smoke a pipe every now and then. My question is that: how long should a pipe last? My pipe is quite small, and it lasts less than 15 minutes before the tobacco is completely burned. I am doing the 3-stage method when packing the pipe. But I am sure that I am doing something wrong in the process. Any advices or links will be appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.
Urs

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
How small? Majority of mine are about 3/4" wide and 1 1/2" tall, they last me around an hour.

Welcome aboard!!

mangers

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
The tobacco cut also has a lot to do with it, the finer the cut the faster it will burn.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
You didn't mention relights... are you applying a lighter or matches every couple of puffs?

One way to extend the time is careful tamping... Good tamper technique will extend the time you smoke and will help hold down the temperature.

Remember to tamp only with the weight of the tamper never push it down, and a twisting motion is a good idea that will smooth the top of the tobacco and gently move unburned remnants into the ember.

The ember shouldn't be as big as the bowl try to keep it small by controlling air flow with light puffs/ sips, and with the tamper.

This method works for me.

But, it is not an end all cure all.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Good Lord Almighty! It is all good advice mate, but I am some glad I been on the pipe for years. If I had to read all that and follow it, I think I would have tossed my first pipe in the river and still be on the cigs. But alas, as I said mate, they are certainly the best steps to follow, untill you discover what works best for you.

zak85

Lurker
Sep 2, 2012
Thanks a lot for the great advices everyone. I really really appreciate you helping me out. Teddy 48, thanks a lot man for the detailed outline. I shall follow it closely when packing my pipe next time. Again, thanks a million to everyone. :) :) :)

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
Zak, I can definitely commiserate. I've been only smoking about a month and (as an example) I just tried smoking a small cob of a tobacco I set out for three days (!), followed the above packing and lighting instructions to the letter and it STILL wouldn't stay lit! I went through 8 matches before giving up. This pipe smoking thing takes a lot of practice and if you're just a bowl-a-day smoker like me, that practice is quite slow, indeed. Good luck and know you're not alone! :lol:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Nice job, teddy48. :clap:

I was somewhat daunted at first by the 1,000 word, 20 paragraph dissertation;

but I have to acknowledge that you wrote a very thorough and well organized explanation,

profitable to both newbies and backsliding old timers alike. Thanks for taking the time and effort. :clap:

Sometimes it's good to think these things through, and break bad old habits.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great post Teddy, someone should make that a sticky for the new guys. It is very well thought out and easy to follow. I have smoked everything known to man and pipes are without a doubt the most difficult to master. There is a large learning curve and it takes patience, practice and a willingness to continue even after a number of failures. If you don't give up and when you finally get it down, you will be highly rewarded.

will

Might Stick Around
Jul 8, 2012
As a pipe smoker of only a few months I know where the op is coming from.

It took me more than a couple tries to have a somewhat enjoyable smoke.

Pipe smoking can be difficult at times given all the different elements involved.

It is also really rewarding when all things come together also.

Very nice post teddy48, there is a lot of good info for all in there and zak85 hang in there it gets way better.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
On the left side of the page is a section called "Featured Articles". There are a ton of useful videos there. It was these videos that led me to this site and got me started out with my pipe.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
Same with me baron. I am a member of several other forums related to shooting, my other main hobby. This is the best forum I have seen. Great information and members willing to help beginners. Great forum!

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Pipe smoking is kind of like a strategy game...sometimes you fail but it's the challenge and the rewarding wins (perfect smokes) that keep me coming back.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
Good, detailed instructions, Teddy48.
Kinda glad I started 49 years ago (next month). No one around to teach me the correct way. Just learned by trial and error: stuff some lightly into the pipe, pushing it down with my finger, stuff some more in, a little more pressure with finger, if not full by then, some more on top, pushing it firmly into place with either finger or tamper. Light, smoke. Don't think about it any more unless I read instructions on how it should be done. That probably would have saved me a lot of trial and error, but, knowing me, I would have gotten hung up on the steps and might have given up.

ronin61

Lurker
Sep 8, 2012
Hi everyone. I had the same question as the OP. I have smoked cigars for several years now, and I just had my first pipe yesterday. I bought a inexpensive briar pipe at a local smoke shop along with a pouch of bulk Burley Light. It took 6 relights after the charring light and only lasted about 15 minutes. Today I got a little better. Only 4 relights for about 30 minutes worth. I think my main problem is that I am used to taking long puffs on my cigars and I am forgetting to take small puffs on the pipe. I am using the three step method for packing as well. I really enjoy it though. It is even more relaxing than a cigar.

Status
Not open for further replies.