Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:   

Tobacco Burning out too fast

(20 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

zak85

Login to Send PM

Hi guys, hopefully you are all doing well. I am a brand-new pipe smoker. I picked it up a couple of days ago. I don't use tobacco much in general. However, I'd like to smoke a pipe every now and then. My question is that: how long should a pipe last? My pipe is quite small, and it lasts less than 15 minutes before the tobacco is completely burned. I am doing the 3-stage method when packing the pipe. But I am sure that I am doing something wrong in the process. Any advices or links will be appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Urs

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How small? Majority of mine are about 3/4" wide and 1 1/2" tall, they last me around an hour.
    Welcome aboard!!

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. theotherspace

Sam

Login to Send PM

The obvious answer is your puffing on the pipe instead of "sipping" slow down the rate at which you draw and it will last longer.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. mangers

mangers

Banned

Login to Send PM

The tobacco cut also has a lot to do with it, the finer the cut the faster it will burn.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

As Sam notes here, how slow you smoke your pipe has a lot to do with it -- it's best enjoyed sipped slowly, no matter what you are smoking. Mangers also makes a great point -- depends on the tobacco you're smoking, as well as how dry your tobacco is when you smoke it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

The number one complaint of new pipe smokers seems to be that they do not know how to correctly 'pack' their pipe, resulting in either dottle left over at the end of the smoke, or a hot smoke and the dread tongue bite, or a pipe that is hard to draw on. Here is compiled a step by step outline to the correct way to pack a pipe for maximum enjoyment. Packing and lighting a pipe, much like smoking a pipe, is an artform, and this technique may take some time to master, but once you have it down pat, one of the major stumbling blocks to pipe smoking bliss will have been removed.

Materials Needed:
    •Pipe
    •Tobacco
    •Something to tamp the tobacco with
    •Something to ignite the tobacco with
    •Pipe cleaners

Procedure:

There are many methods employed to pack a pipe with tobacco. The method listed below works well for many folks and many different kinds of tobacco. It is, by no means, the only method of packing a pipe and experimentation is the key to finding a process that works well for you.

(1) First, it is important to make sure that your pipe is free from obstructions and left over ash from previous smokes. Run a pipe cleaner through the stem, dump out any dottle, and gently blow through the stem to expel any leftover ash. It is probably best to do this over a trashcan, large ashtray, or other such receptacle, pointing the bowl of the pipe upside down to avoid spewing dottle and ash into your own face.

(2) remove a small amount of tobacco from your tin/pouch/etc and lay it out on a flat surface. Gently pick apart any clumps in the tobacco, and make note of the moisture content of the tobacco. If it is too moist, you may want to let it sit out for a few minutes to dry out a bit. Go make yourself a cup of tea, pull an espresso, or open some mail. When you come back, it should have dried just a bit and be a little easier to deal with.

(3) holding your pipe, trickle strands of tobacco into the bowl of the pipe until it is filled to the top. resist the urge to push the tobacco down with your thumb half-way through this operation. Do not pinch the loose tobacco while doing this, as you will create more of the clumps you just took time to remedy.

(4) Now, take you tamper/pipe-nail/etc and gently compress the tobacco. For bowls with straight sides, you should tamp gently until the tobacco half fills the bowl. For pipes with tapered bowls, aim for more like two thirds full. The tobacco in the bowl should have a very springy, almost soft consistency.

(5) Put the pipe to your lips and take a test draw. If there is any resistance, dump out the tobacco and start over.

(6) Once again, trickle loose strands of tobacco into the bowl until it is once again full, perhaps even a tad over-full.

(7) Again, tamp the tobacco down gently with your tamp. For straight sided bowls, the pipe should now be three quarters full. For tapered bowls, the pipe should now be five eighths or so full. You will probably find that to achieve this level of tobacco, you have to tamp with slightly more force than the first time. The tobacco in the bowl should feel springy.

(8) Put the pipe to your lips and take a test draw. There may be tiny amount of resistance this time, but if you have any troubles drawing on the pipe, dump out the tobacco and start over.

(9) Trickle a bit more tobacco into the pipe, until a small mound of it protrudes above the rim of the bowl, looking as if it needs a haircut. Return any left-over tobacco to its container for future use.

(10) Using your tamp again, pack this tobacco down until it is even with the top of the bowl. This will take a bit more pressure than the first two tamping operations, but take care not to overdo it. The tobacco should still feel springy, only slightly less so than on the second tamp.

(11) Put the pipe to your lips and take a test draw. The resistance should be minimal, like sucking on a straw. If there is any more than this, dump out the tobacco and start over.

Now, if all of the above steps have been successfully completed, your pipe is properly packed and ready to be lit and smoked.

Lighting a pipe seems to be a very straightforward operation. You apply open flame, whether from a match, lighter or other such contrivance and puff on the pipe until it is lit. Well, to get maximum enjoyment out of your pipe, and to minimize the need for mid-smoke relights, it is important to pay attention to your technique here, as with any other aspect of smoking. Here are a couple of easy steps to ensure a nicely lit pipe.

(1) First comes the 'charring' light (also called the 'false' light), the purpose of which is to expel any extra moisture from the tobacco and prepare a nice even bed for the 'true' light. To achieve this, light your match or lighter and apply it to the tobacco, moving it in a circular motion around the entire surface of the tobacco. While doing this, take a series of shallow puffs on the pipe. It may be that the tobacco swells up in a spot or two and seems to unravel. That is the purpose of the charring light, to balance out the tobacco moisture and density.

(2) Allow this light to go out and tamp the tobacco back down even with the top of the bowl. You may find it useful to twist or spin your tamp in a circular motion while doing this. This is the point where many pipe smokers ruin a good packing job by tamping too hard. You should use a very light touch, wanting only to return the tobacco to the level it was before the charring light.

(3) Relight your match of lighter and apply it to the tobacco, moving it in a circular motion around the entire surface of the tobacco. While doing this, take a series of shallow puffs on the pipe. This time the tobacco should not unravel and puff up as it did before. Extinguish your source of fire, sit back, relax and enjoy your pipe.

Hopefully, by following these instructions, you have successfully lit your pipe and are enjoying it. Here are a couple more tips to consider:

- It takes time and practice to master this technique, but you should see steady improvement in your form and in the ease with which you can pack your pipe as you progress. It is not uncommon for it to take six months for this technique to become second nature.

- Don't worry too much about relights. Relighting your pipe is a fact of life, and only rarely, if at all, will you have a smoke where you do not have to relight at least once. You will probably find that as your smoking progresses, you will relight less and less frequently.

Edit: This is published here: How to Pack & Light Your Pipe at SmokingPipes.com

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You didn't mention relights... are you applying a lighter or matches every couple of puffs?
    One way to extend the time is careful tamping... Good tamper technique will extend the time you smoke and will help hold down the temperature.
    Remember to tamp only with the weight of the tamper never push it down, and a twisting motion is a good idea that will smooth the top of the tobacco and gently move unburned remnants into the ember.
    The ember shouldn't be as big as the bowl try to keep it small by controlling air flow with light puffs/ sips, and with the tamper.
    This method works for me.
    But, it is not an end all cure all.

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good Lord Almighty! It is all good advice mate, but I am some glad I been on the pipe for years. If I had to read all that and follow it, I think I would have tossed my first pipe in the river and still be on the cigs. But alas, as I said mate, they are certainly the best steps to follow, untill you discover what works best for you.

If at first you don't succeed, have another bowl.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

zak85

Login to Send PM

Thanks a lot for the great advices everyone. I really really appreciate you helping me out. Teddy 48, thanks a lot man for the detailed outline. I shall follow it closely when packing my pipe next time. Again, thanks a million to everyone. :)

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. mick

Bulldog Mick

Login to Send PM

Zak, I can definitely commiserate. I've been only smoking about a month and (as an example) I just tried smoking a small cob of a tobacco I set out for three days (!), followed the above packing and lighting instructions to the letter and it STILL wouldn't stay lit! I went through 8 matches before giving up. This pipe smoking thing takes a lot of practice and if you're just a bowl-a-day smoker like me, that practice is quite slow, indeed. Good luck and know you're not alone!

Just try one small bowl and you will forever more be a Grousemoor whore.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Nice job, teddy48.
    I was somewhat daunted at first by the 1,000 word, 20 paragraph dissertation;
    but I have to acknowledge that you wrote a very thorough and well organized explanation,
    profitable to both newbies and backsliding old timers alike. Thanks for taking the time and effort.
    Sometimes it's good to think these things through, and break bad old habits.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great post Teddy, someone should make that a sticky for the new guys. It is very well thought out and easy to follow. I have smoked everything known to man and pipes are without a doubt the most difficult to master. There is a large learning curve and it takes patience, practice and a willingness to continue even after a number of failures. If you don't give up and when you finally get it down, you will be highly rewarded.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. will

will

Login to Send PM

As a pipe smoker of only a few months I know where the op is coming from.
    It took me more than a couple tries to have a somewhat enjoyable smoke.
    Pipe smoking can be difficult at times given all the different elements involved.
    It is also really rewarding when all things come together also.
    Very nice post teddy48, there is a lot of good info for all in there and zak85 hang in there it gets way better.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. bobpnm

bobpnm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Patience and practice are recurring themes for all us newbies. I saved Teddy48's excellent post to Evernote for future reference.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

On the left side of the page is a section called "Featured Articles". There are a ton of useful videos there. It was these videos that led me to this site and got me started out with my pipe.

Proud Member of the Blackblood Society Photobucket
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. bobpnm

bobpnm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Same with me baron. I am a member of several other forums related to shooting, my other main hobby. This is the best forum I have seen. Great information and members willing to help beginners. Great forum!

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. tjameson

tjameson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipe smoking is kind of like a strategy game...sometimes you fail but it's the challenge and the rewarding wins (perfect smokes) that keep me coming back.

BLACKBLOODs for life...just please keep making Black House!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. checotah

checotah

Login to Send PM

Good, detailed instructions, Teddy48.

Kinda glad I started 49 years ago (next month). No one around to teach me the correct way. Just learned by trial and error: stuff some lightly into the pipe, pushing it down with my finger, stuff some more in, a little more pressure with finger, if not full by then, some more on top, pushing it firmly into place with either finger or tamper. Light, smoke. Don't think about it any more unless I read instructions on how it should be done. That probably would have saved me a lot of trial and error, but, knowing me, I would have gotten hung up on the steps and might have given up.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. ronin61

ronin61

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone. I had the same question as the OP. I have smoked cigars for several years now, and I just had my first pipe yesterday. I bought a inexpensive briar pipe at a local smoke shop along with a pouch of bulk Burley Light. It took 6 relights after the charring light and only lasted about 15 minutes. Today I got a little better. Only 4 relights for about 30 minutes worth. I think my main problem is that I am used to taking long puffs on my cigars and I am forgetting to take small puffs on the pipe. I am using the three step method for packing as well. I really enjoy it though. It is even more relaxing than a cigar.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Ronin61, yep, practice makes perfect. Just like cigars (but 'way different in too many ways), practice and experience make perfect. And what's perfect for you happens to likely be 'way different that many. But when/if you fall in love with smoking pipes it will all make sense and make all the effort very much worth it.

It's the journey, not the destination.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   redyserve, dixie, foggymountain, zack24, brudnic1, willc, jimmy211, sorringowl, dcrguns, huskysibe, snagstangl, rangerearthpig, kcvet67, darwin, agnosticpipe, tbradsim1, samcoffeeman, johnnyreb, daimyo, lordnoble, politicalmonster, gunslinger, olewaylon, trailboss