PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
A little advice is required please chaps. If one were to 'cellar' (wardrobe in my case) two identical tins of say Royal Yacht, one still vacuum sealed and the other simply popped open then closed, would they behave the same over time?
I ask as I understand oxygen (in a controlled quantity) ought be present to aid any maturation process though I could of course be way off the mark. So chaps, of the two tins which would fair better over time.
Also would a mere 12 months 'ageing' make any noticeable difference to a blend?
Regards,
Jay.

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
G.L. Please has some interesting articles on aging. I'll see if I can find and link to them.
The first thing i thought was that the popped tin will probably dry out eventually.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Let's assume for the sake of argument that you reseal the one that you opened so that it doesn't dry out. Which one would do better over time, the one that had been opened, or the one that has not been opened.
The answer is...they will be slightly different. And, you may not detect the difference, or you might prefer the one that got opened over the one that didn't, or vice versa. There's no correct answer except that the two tins will be slightly different.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
There are two types of bacteria that are part of the aging process, aerobic and anaerobic. Aerobic bacteria need oxygen to do their job while anaerobic bacteria don't become active until there is a lack of oxygen. Both affect a blend in different ways during aging. So, yes, you do need some oxygen at the beginning of the aging process so that the aerobic bacteria can perform their part of the fermentation process. Once that oxygen is depleted then the anaerobic bacteria continue the fermentation process and the aerobic bacteria go dormant or die. IMO, a well aged blend has benefited from the influence of BOTH interactions.
That isn't to say that you can't age tobacco completely aerobically, the cigar guys do it all the time. They constantly introduce fresh oxygen into the process. The result isn't bad (I love a well aged cigar) but as others have said, it will be different.
In your scenario, what you have done is "reboot" the process. By cracking a previously sealed tin, any anaerobic bacteria go dormant and any aerobic bacteria reactive and the process starts all over again, provided the tin is resealed to an airtight state and provided the tin had been sealed long enough for the anaerobic process to begin.
That is, of course, a very simplified explanation of the aging process but should give you an idea of the different interactions happening inside a sealed tin of tobacco.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Different as Jesse says, and my bet is they'd be almost indistinguishable provided there's a good tight re-seal. If not, very different. I read Greg Pease's articles, but some time ago. Don't know if anyone's done controlled studies.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
There are two types of bacteria that are part of the aging process, aerobic and anaerobic
This is assuming tobacco actually "ferments" as it ages. To date, there is no definitive answers to how tobacco actually ages. Most research in trade journals tend towards a chemical reaction.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I'm one that has rarely noticed a difference and/or improvement in the tobaccos I have aged and I have yet to come by a blend that noticeably tastes better than when I first purchased it. I have noticed a huge decline in blends containing Latakia and once a Lat blend gets over the 5 year mark, its as good as garbage to me. I don't like the way they age. Don't get me wrong, I cellar a lot of tobacco and a part of me still hopes to find an amazing aged blend but I'm not holding my breath. As of right now I prefer my tobacco relatively fresh. I hoard a lot of tobacco and I have been since 2009 but I don't really do it with "aging" in mind rather I'm afraid I'll never be able to get said blend again and I want enough to last me a lifetime. So far I haven't noticed a decline in Va and Bur based blends and that's all that matters to me.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I hoard a lot of tobacco and I have been since 2009 but I don't really do it with "aging" in mind rather I'm afraid I'll never be able to get said blend again and I want enough to last me a lifetime. So far I haven't noticed a decline in Va and Bur based blends and that's all that matters to me.
You shouldn't notice a decline with Va/Bur, Va/ Va/Per blends for many many years, decades in fact. Burleys don't change a whole lot and Virginias can get sweeter and/or tangier and deeper for decades.
A lot of people like the taste of faded softened Latakia. They find it more mellow. So there's something for everybody. But Latakia should still retain its punch after 5 years. After 10-15 you should see some lessening of its strength, and after 30 years you probably will barely taste it was even there. Personally, rather than spending the farm on famous faded Latakia blends, I'll just buy lighter blends that I like, or mix something up.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Very many thanks for your input here chaps, very informative. Bry, I read G Pease's article the other day and it was something he said there that prompted me to ask in the first place.
He said : "Tobacco needs some air to be locked in with it , at least to begin with, in order for it to age. A perfectly vacuum sealed container will likely keep the tobacco "fresh," but it may not really age the way we expect it to. "
There is clearly quite a bit of science involved in ageing baccy and it is something I may try, the hard bit for me would be keeping my hands off it. Ideally I would like to stash two 50g tins each of my favourite blends which may sound rather parsimonious to you Americans who store baccy by the pound but our baccy is seriously expensive over here.
Thanks again folks.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.