PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
Hey all,

I have been smoking for a few years and colecting mainly British eststae pipes. I started with Ben wade's cause I liked there style and were cheap but soon moved up to Charatans, Comoy's and such..usually spending under 100. I have about 40 pipes, 25ish I did well on and about 12 being ebay "lessons".
Now I have always wanted a Dunhill and had been looking for quite a while when Smokers Haven listed the pipe in my avatar. A 1971 36 (liverpool) in Bruyere(4) unsmoked with the box, all the goods and paperwork, metal tube and filters and the original receipt from the Duke St store and most importantlly my birth year!!. Loving all things vintage as you all say I pulled the trigger and a few hundred dollars later I was the winner(still less than half of one on the main retailers for a newer one...thats my rationalization)
So it finally showed up and I was fully planning on smoking it but I had yet to inform my wife, let alone show it to her. She thought it was wicked cool(it is) but convinced me I had to become a caretaker of it for prosperity and never smoke it.
So what I would like from you all is either your reason I should smoke it or why I should keep it pristine. I'm hoping Iget some good advice to smoke it so I can convince the misses(she not really stopping me because she is an awesome wife she is just "urging" me :))
Thanks- Mr. Anglophile(Michael)

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
I would smoke it just like the rest of my pipes. It is just a pipe, and it was made for that purpose. Just my 2 cents.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Gorgeous pipe.
The obvious solution is to buy another Dunhill and use that to satisfy your curiosity about how a Dunhill smokes.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
If you take care of a pipe, smoke it correctly, keep it clean and maintained, rotate with other pipes, etc., there is no reason it wont last you a good long time.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
If it was a large expense and your wife is using its value as a collectible to justify it, I say buy another Dunny and keep it as a collectible. Mkelaw, Pulver, and Briar Blues all sell affordable Dunnies to sate your appetite.

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
If it was a large expense and your wife is using its value as a collectible to justify it, I say buy another Dunny and keep it as a collectible. Mkelaw, Pulver, and Briar Blues all sell affordable Dunnies to sate your appetite.
That's what the wife had suggested.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Your wife is correct as to it's value as a collectible, esp. with the box, sock, and papers. Finding a nice pre-smoked estate Dunhill wouldn't be that hard, and if your wife is giving you the green light on that......

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I would say smoke it, but your wife is giving approval to buy a smoked estate so you can keep this one pristine. You would be crazy to not hunt down another Duhill. Finding another birth year Dunhill should not be hard for you.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Since you have the Full Meal Deal happening with all the packaging and paperwork, wanting to keep everything "shop new" is understandable.
While smoking the pipe WILL decrease its value as a collectable, the bad news is that the 70's was a time of significant revision (a.k.a. cost cutting) at the Dunhill shop and generally speaking things weren't changed for the better. Because those problems were later addressed (primarily finish and stem work) and overall quality recovered a bit in the 80's, the 70's is regarded today as Dunhill's historical low point by collectors. How much pipes from that period bring when sold is affected accordingly.
That said, with Dunhill now out of the game (for all practical purposes), and prime specimens of the company's Golden Era production getting harder to find every year, looking past the date and paying more attention to the pipe itself will be a growing trend, I expect. And your Liverpool is definitely a nice piece. The stem and shank both have a little of the "70's bloat" going on, and the color is distinctly "early 70's pink" instead of the collector-preferred mahogany/maroon of earlier and later Bruyere production, but that's it. It's also an overall desirable shape. Nothing goofy. It's a classic.
In short, the pipe won't make you rich anytime soon as an investment, so you might as well smoke it. On the other hand, NOT smoking it gives you a perfect excuse to get another pipe AND enjoy this one as a display piece. I call it a toss-up --- you win either way. :D

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
I normally prefer saddle bit due to the fact I have dentures and had read all about the issues Dunhill had trying to automate stem work but luckily for me the stem fits great in my mouth. I had learned to look at measurments carefully buying on ebay but was still surprised what a smaller/light pipe it was...comes in at just over 32 grams and I have fallen in love with the pinkish stain.

My wife and I made our living picking thrift stores in the 90's (to bad I wasn't looking for pipes then) and we are collector's at heart so I think even if I found an un-used/mint box of cup cake wrappers she would still not want to open depite being worthless.
Thanks for all the comments so far, I have joined a few communities over the years and the pipe community is by far the warmest and most welcoming of them all....thanks for letting me join.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
32 grams is to perfect not to smoke. I'm with George. It if were a 1920's pipe, I'd say no. A 1970's product, have at it my lone '71 smokes just as well as my 60's era pipes. Maybe you'll get lucky!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The concept of buying the pipe in the first place was to smoke a Dunhill birth year pipe. The fact that selling it later might buy an antique or go toward a trip isn't really relevant. It's good that your wife appreciates the special aspects of this pipe, but she also needs to understand your pipes are to smoke. Buying a second pipe of the same kind just seems misguided, to me. So here's a compromise. Let her know that you will smoke the pipe, but on your next anniversary, because it is so special, and she is so special. That will honor her, you, and this special pipe, if you can both buy into that in a sincere way. It's not especially rational, but it strikes a kind of emotional balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.