PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrfus

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
I have being ordering some of the Sutliff Molto Dolce, Taste of Summer and I'm starting to order some Taste of Autumn, usually when one tin is open I just put as much as I can of the contents on a small mason jar and start using what is left on the tin.
Will be ok if I just open all the tins of the same kind and put the tobacco on a bigger mason jar or it's just better to keep each tin close until I'm ready to smoke it... or open each tin as soon as they are in the mailbox and organize them on small mason jars?

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
The more air tight the container is the better. I personally don't think the plastic

lids that come with the "rolled paper" containers can be called airtight. I don't think the

"rolled paper" containers will last more than a few years. The metal tins are air tight but

the moisture in the tobacco will eventually cause a tin to rust. Some metal tins are coated on

the inside now and won't rust as easily. That said a sealed tin will last a long time. Proof is

in most of the old real tins on ebay. I think glass jars are the best method of cellaring and

most here would agree, I'm sure. A canning jar and lid with the rubber edge for a gasket does

a very good job and is air tight. But it's your choice which way you go.
tinner :puffy:

mrfus

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
I was wondering the same about the paper containers and that is why I decide to ask here.
I'm going to go for medium size mason jars for tobacco of the same kind that I order the most and small ones for the blends that I don't smoke often, and I will keep regular metallic tins closed until be ready to smoke.

They may be airtight, but I bought way too many paper tins of Molto Dolce by Sutliff just over a year ago, and the one I popped last week was dry to the bone. And, Molto Dolce usually takes forever to dry if I left the top off, so something screwy was going on there. But, no love lost. I've since grown away from MD, and at the time they were practicaly giving the things away.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Very interesting cosmic, that sort of proves my point. Do you have any more containers the same age of MD?

If you open them all and they are dry you might rehydrate them and then jar them. I rehydrated 2 pounds of

bulk blending burley that came from Smoking Pipes way too dry. Worked great and smokes fine now.
tinner
I'd like to know the condition of any more containers of MD. I'm going to stop calling the cardboard

containers, tins.

mrfus

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
I have a small amount of "paper cups", like 8 or 9 total... so It will not be a problem to move them to mason jars (I just have to run to the grocery store and print labels with the name and date) and from this point forward as soon as I get some will transfer to the jars.
It's good to know that I can count with some good advice from you guys, Thanks!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Mrfus:
If you have access to a big box store like Walmart, K Mart, Target or even a Dollar store buy your canning jars there. They'll be much cheaper than your local grocery venue.
Everything I buy gets jarred - with the lone exception of trade bait tins of Escudo, quickly smoked Nightcap and a few experimental tins of Esoterica offerings.
I always buy an extra tin of lids whenever I buy a flat of jars. The rubber rimmed lids hold aromas, even after a high heat dish washing cycle. They sell for around a buck an eight or ten pack and that's pretty cheap insurance.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.