PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
FIRST & LAST TIME - bought 2 used pipes - used complete package of thick pipe cleaners 2 at a time twisted so 4 ends SATURATED with isopropyl alcohol used twisted into shank & air passage to bowl. black black & more black - after using the whole package & 500ml alcohol - still black.

shank & bowl are putrid only a pig smoked these 2 pipes
anyone in toronto canada willing to do some scalding lava hot retorts on these 2 pipes ? or should i just send them down to walker ?
i will do a few salt & alcohol first on each pipe but retorts at least can kill most viruses in these pipes.
any toronto takers ?? - i am downtown
thanks howard

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
is all that deep black a sign of pot & if so should there be an odor - there is no odor in these pipes - nothing - dont know when last smoked -

how good is retort in removing pot sludge ? its endless in these pipes - full bag of cleaners just for one pipe - still black

but this guy was good at lighting up - the upper level of the bowl has no char marks from match or lighter. no teeth marks on stem - both pipes looked good but dark when i looked at them - dunhill repaired & a no name stamped " original briar "

reamed out 1/4 " cake from one of the bowls now both are almost down to briar - hope retort can remove rest to fresh briar - wont use knife on remaining thin cake -
as it turns out one is a repaired dunhill - the shank was shortened & a ring installed - only " DU " of dunhill remains along with stock numbers - somewhat weird design of characters. - have no digital camera but are faint anyways.
apparently pipes were donated to club as smoker had to quit cold turkey - also that escudo awesome dorchester was my first encounter with escudo - flavour to the bottom of bowl burned beautiful dense smoke
4 noggins out of stock - will order 4 at least to start - doubt that new will be as awesome as 20 year old tin. i wont wait 20 years to age 90.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Carefully place the pipes into a pot of boiling water for about ten minutes, that should clean most of the accumulated tars out.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Carefully place the pipes into a pot of boiling water for about ten minutes, that should clean most of the accumulated tars out.
While true, that's supremely unhelpful advice.
-- Pat

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
If you can't seem to clean the tars out of the pipe shank, and instead of using a shank brush (available at Pipes & Cigars dot com) you can also use a 10mm drill bit to "ream" the shank being careful not to over drill into the bowl. Turn the drill bit with your hand, or use a pin-type vise handle; do not use a power drill.
Hope this was more helpful (pruss) jebus, lighten up you guys...

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
my eyes are bad on small print didnt notice caps were on - other sites it doesnt seem to be an issue so caps were on from their site.
sorry guys

Status
Not open for further replies.