PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokingcricket

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2018
From what I have read this be is a highly debated subject.It starts with should you let cake form to how thick with what tobacco to use and how many half smokes in between.Since I'm getting a better quality pipe this is the question I need info on.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
There's always room for another discussion on cakes....
My preference is extremely thin cake. Just enough to keep a barrier between ember and briar.
Why? Just because I've always done it that way.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I agree. You can't really debate it because it is just a choice. I've never built cake beyond a thin layer of carbon. I scoop out the ash and wipe out the bowl after every bowl. This provides the necessary protection for the inside of the bowl, keeps the chamber the same size over years, and eliminates the need to ream. I don't own a reamer. I think if a pipe smoker enjoys building cake -- and far and away a majority do -- that's fine. I don't see anything terribly negative about it, and many feel it perfects the flavor. It's just not for me. As with much in pipe smoking, you call your own shot, and that is good.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It does some and not others. I've restored estate pipes where the chamber was so full of cake that you couldn't fit a pencil into with no cracks in the pipe. I've also seen them crack with just a bit of cake. I, like Warren, build it in briars but not meers or cobs.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Do you eyeball it when you read the chamber or use a reamer with a set thickness?
All depends on how anal you are:)
Personally, I've never measured anything to do with my pipes. If the cake seems too thick, I scrape it off with the rounded blade of my pocket knife.
If you prefer to be more exacting or precise, its a wonderful thing because it makes you happy. Pipe smoking should always make you happy :)

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Gotta say, I love the enthusiasm of a new pipe smoker!
As for cake, I don't let any build up in mine. A quick wipe with an unscented baby wipe and I'm good to go. I've never had any complaints. It pretty much boils down to a personal preference, and one you will form over time.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Pipe makers by and large coat the chambers of their pipes despite the vociferous and vehement denunciations of the practice by a significant portion of the pipe community, They do so because they want to and in the absence of any proof that it need be done. If you will, most new pipes are pre-caked. Whether you cake your pipes is similarly a dubious practice.
You can do it if you want to.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I agree. You can't really debate it because it is just a choice. I've never built cake beyond a thin layer of carbon. I scoop out the ash and wipe out the bowl after every bowl. This provides the necessary protection for the inside of the bowl, keeps the chamber the same size over years, and eliminates the need to ream. I don't own a reamer.
This is exactly my method. A thin layer of carbon (cake if you want to call it that) is all you need in my opinion, for a well broke in pipe.

smokingcricket

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2018
So I should clean it like my cob.I take a paper towel and twist it in the chamber and it keeps it nice and smooth.Ok as for the reaming question I read some where that if you team with a knife and the cake gets uneven when it gets hot and swells it could crack your pipe so I thought that is why they made the reamers that reams one thickness all the way around.So what I considered being careful and trying to get all the information I could to properly take care of what I consider a high dollar that not only will bring me joy but respecting the Carver for the time he took out of his life to create my pipe you consider it being anal.Well I found that I was doing it right anyway and wanting to collect information to properly take care and extend the life of your pipe from some members on this site gets you called anal and overly enthused.Way to welcome a new member.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I read some where that if you team with a knife and the cake gets uneven when it gets hot and swells it could crack your pipe so I thought that is why they made the reamers that reams one thickness all the way around.
Yeah, if you're going to ream it, get an actual reamer, not a knife. Just my opinion.

smokingcricket

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2018
Thanks sea captain that information I need.I seen 2 reamers one took more cake the pressure you used the other had heads you switched out to take out a certain amount.I guess only anal people use the second one according to one answer I got

slowroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 25, 2017
I find some cake enhances the flavor, i ream them when it gets thick. I've bought any number of reamers over my 50 years of Pipe smoking and found that they tend to scrape chunks out which is not good. I get the best job by multiple light passes with the rounded blade of my Rodgers tool. When I've had to ream all of the cake out because a reamer tore out chunks I found the flavor reverted to nearly that of a new pipe. As far as a break in tobacco I always felt that the best one was whatever you want to smoke most. I noticed that the Dark Fired Kentuckys build cake pretty fast FWIW.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Please re read my post.
You asked if you should judge by eye or use a reamer set to certain thickness. I answered "depends on how anal you are"
I don't use that kind of precision on my pipes, but heaven help you if you tell me sharpening, honing and stropping my carving knives should be that lackadaisical.
We're all anal about something. Do what you think is right, do what makes you happy. The truth is, unless you abuse a pipe to the point it cracks (and that takes A LOT of abuse), there's not much that can't be corrected.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It's somewhat definitional- I'd say that that thin layer of carbon that PB mentions is cake. Cake happens! Unless you sand the chamber after every bowl you'll have that very thin start of a layer of cake.
Can cake crack a bowl? Very unlikely. There'd have to be other circumstances, such as a fault in the briar or smoking too hot. (Not to mention dropping the pipe!)
"Reaming" the chamber with a damp paper towel (which does have some abrasive power) should keep it from forming quickly.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Inexperienced people do untold damage with reamers. You can ruin a rack of pipes in an hour or two merrily reaming away. If you build cake and ream, or ream in restoring pipes, it is a gentle art that must be learned. I prefer not to build more than a thin carbon layer of cake, so I have never learned that art.

Status
Not open for further replies.