PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunplume

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2011
Being I have no one to look up to as a pipe smoker except for you fine gents, should I ash, or do I tamp down? Currently, I am tamping down all my ashes. Have been for years. Is it better to keep dumping ashes?

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I only dump the ash if I cannot get the flame down deep enough to relight. But there is no right way. Experiment and see what works best for you.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I find the tobacco dictates the practice. Some generate a fine ash which can tend to reduce air flow through the pipe. Where this is the case I'll bump the ash. Where it's not I tamp.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
The question sounds vaguely familiar. As Yogi Berra once said; 'deja vu all over again'.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I tend to dump the ash more if it's a straight Virginia or I'm coming back for a DGT bowl.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Delayed Gratification Technique ... start a bowl, tamp it out and come back later.
Many Va/Pers are really good like this for some reason ... I don't know why.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
The answer to your question may depend on the pipe and tobacco you are smoking. Some of my pipes do best when I dump the ash mid-smoke. Likewise some of my tobaccos, regardless of the pipe, burn best when I dump the ash. For example, my small-bowled Kaywoodie Carburetors do best if I dump the ash about halfway through the bowl no matter what tobacco I am smoking.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
Would it be strange to say that every time I dump my ash it fills the bowl?
High fiber diets do that.
I only dump my ash if it seems to be smothering the ember, otherwise I just "Tamp That Ash".

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
I've never dumped ashes out of a pipe until I was done smoking it. Never felt the need. I just blithely tamp away and all seems well.

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
You have been tamping for years? Why ask this now? Just do whatever makes the experience more enjoyable for you..

Status
Not open for further replies.