PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fjvmpac

Lurker
Sep 9, 2017
I'm a brazilian Pipe Smoker and I will visit New York on October/17.

I would like tips (name and address) about good pipe tobacco shops in NY.

Thank you. Pacheco

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Three to check out are Nat Sherman, Barclay Rex, and Davidoff. All three have their own vibe but you'll be rewarded with some fun shopping and good conversations. Have fun!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Drop in on a New York City Pipe Club Meeting. They meet in SOHO.

http://www.newyorkpipeclub.com/
Also, I updated the title to be NYC (versus all of NY).
Have a great trip!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nat Sherman is at 12 East 42nd Street, NYC 10017. Online is natsherman.com. I think they have the largest smoking lounge area in Manhattan, along with a walk-in humidor. There is a cluster of chairs, plus a rocking chair or two. I recommend their bulk blend (also in tins) 536, a mild but flavorful English. Cliff Gold is one of their senior local sales associates, if you want to ask for someone by name. There's a huge clock over the front door of the store, as a landmark.

fjvmpac

Lurker
Sep 9, 2017
Thank you pianopuffer, ssjones and mso489

for the good tips about NYC Pipe Tobacco Shops and NYCPipe Club

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
fjv', one thing I noticed the last few times I was in the NYC area is that the shops mentioned in the above posts are really mostly all there is. Off in the boroughs and neighborhoods, if you see a nifty little storefront that says tobacco, smoke shops, cigars, etc., it is nearly always a disappointment. Often these are convenience stores with some cartons and packs of cigarettes. Some have inexpensive cigars, vape materials, and a smattering of bongs and rolling papers, but zero pipes or pipe tobacco. In big cities like NYC and Chicago, newsstands in big office buildings and sometimes larger ones on the street had a fair selection of factory pipes and a number of over-the-counter pipe tobacco, and some of them accessories, pouches and tampers, etc. I believe that's entirely gone. So if you are going to buy anything, I think the shops named in this thread are about the only opportunity.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Sadly, most of the old, traditional, Tobacconists, and shops specializing in selling pipes and accessories are gone. You can find anything you want in NYC, except a good Tobacconist-Pipe shop. Mentioned above are three stores that specialize in selling cigars. I doubt these stores make any big money selling pipes. Pipes are almost an afterthought in most stores. Honestly, I cannot remember the last time I saw a man, walking around Manhattan, smoking a pipe.
BTW....Bring some money. Bring a lot of money. Those stores have to pay sky-high rents....and guess who pays for that real-estate in midtown-Manhattan?
Do yourself a BIG favor.....jump in a cab, or subway, and ride down to Katz's Deli/205 E. Houston Street for a quick nosh. Get yourself a Pastrami/Brisket-on Rye sandwich -with a just a schmear of mustard, some green-tomato pickles and some Potato Latkes on the side. Wash it down with a good beer. Katz's Deli is one of the few, authentic NYC, Jewish Delis that are still left. You'll have an eating experience that you must try. The place is a dump. Flies that died in 1952 are still laying in the front window. Nobody cares. You could just plotz (die/faint) when you taste the food!... and you'll think you're sitting on a movie set that recreates New York City in the 1940s. Signs are still hanging on the wall from WW-ll...."Send a salami to your boy in the army"... This old fashioned eatery is a NY treasure. And, for great Chinese food (Chinatown)... try: Wo Hop/17 Mott St. Fabulous food, not fancy, reasonable prices. Bring a big appetite.
Enjoy your visit to New York City. The weather is perfect in October for walking around.
Welcome to the BIG APPLE!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Note: Davidoff (very nice lounge and staff) and Nat Sherman are midtown. Barclay Rex is downtown, perfect to visit if going to Southport Sea Museum the Trade Centers memorial, Wall Street.
I recommend Delmonico's way downtown. Old upscale restaurant that's seen good, bad and indifferent years on "The Street" (Wall Street, the financial center of NYC, or was)

fjvmpac

Lurker
Sep 9, 2017
sumusfumus and jpmcwjr, thank you for yours good coments and tips

about pipe tobacco shops and restaurante in NYC.

I'm excite and happy with my trip to NYC.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
+++1 on Katz's Deli. My wife was a restaurant reviewer and food writer in Manhattan and on Long Island for forty years, and Katz's is still one of her all-time favorites. I sure like it. Go hungry.

fjvmpac

Lurker
Sep 9, 2017
mso489, thank you so much for your attention.

I'm getting hungry just thinking about Katz's Deli!

I'm sure that I'll have dinner there and then I'll tell you about my dining experience in NYC.

Best regards

fjvmpac

Lurker
Sep 9, 2017
jorchamp. Thank you for the good tip. I will visit Barclay Rex and Nat Sherman next weekend. Cheers!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I can't believe nobody mentioned Keens steakhouse with all the clay pipes on the ceiling.
Read this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/04/nyregion/pipe-from-keens-steakhouse-is-claimed-and-smoked-decades-after-storage.html
I work 2 blocks from Davidoff and when they switched from De La Concha they became even more cigar centric than they were before.
keens-steakhouse-phil-kline-003__x_large.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@fitzy: For all the years that I worked in Manhattan, I can't believe I never visited Keen's. I assume you cannot smoke in the restaurant, but it would be interesting to visit.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Welcome to New York City. The weather is perfect for your trip. Hope you enjoy visiting this magnificent, vibrant city-that-never-sleeps. Take a cab, or subway( M Line) ride out to Jackson Heights/Roosevelt Avenue in Queens.....for great food from many different areas of South America. Cheap eats. Go on a walking tour, and eat along the way.
Bring your pipe, and smoke while you enjoy the fresh air. Have fun.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
@ssjones I've never been there either but I keep threatening to go. I go out for a steak dinner once a year just before Christmas to Lugers. Maybe this year I need to go to Keens.
I've also never been to the NYC pipe club meetings.

Status
Not open for further replies.