PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon39

Might Stick Around
Dec 16, 2013
I was wondering how most people order there tobacco in tins or bulk?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Mostly bulk that is then transferred to mason jars.
However, there are some blends only available in tins.
Where are you ordering your tobacco from so far?

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Both! I smoke a lot of blends that are only available in tins, but I also smoke several blends that I can get in bulk. I also order a lot of single tins and 1oz bulk samples, as I'm a blend whore and habitual sampler! Lol! All of those singles get popped right away and go straight into jars. At the moment, I probably have 80 or so different blends available for my smoking pleasure!

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I like tins because they are no muss no fuss; just start staking them in the cellar. Plus you can gaurantee what your getting. I ordered a bunch of different bulks and one a "lat free" blend was quite the opposite. Luckily it happened when I was trying out new stuff and ordered maybe 2oz. of each so no real harm done. Would have been a bummer if I'd liked it though not knowing what it really was. As it stands I only buy LBF and 1Q in bulk anymore. I have some burley cake and annie cake too, but I smoke those less.

jon39

Might Stick Around
Dec 16, 2013
Okay Thanks, I ordered a tin of Nightcap and a pouch of 5 Brothers. The Nightcap was definitely a new experience. I've only smoked a bowl of it I like it but it's really different compared to the other tobacco I've smoked

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I order both in tin and bulk. Bulk for those I intend to smoke right away and tins for my cellar.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I smoke mostly bulk which I order online.Over the years though I've smoked a large number of tins.Those I've bought at smoke shops.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If a blend is available in bulk I'll pretty much always by in bulk, it's way cheaper and I really don't see much difference in them, plus there's alot of bulk only available blends I really like. It's only the blends that are only offered in tins I'll buy in tins or it's too costly. Like for less than the price of 3 100 gram tins of alot of blends I could just get a pound of bulk for cheaper.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Both. Bulk is a fine bargain, and I enjoy laying in quantity that I store in jars. However, I feel tins tend to be

more enticing. I more often finish off a tin than I do even a smaller quantity of bulk tobacco. The presentation

of the tobacco in an attractive tin adds to the smoking experience. I try to label my canning jars of tobacco

clearly in various type faces to add to their appeal.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Most of my favorite blends are available in bulk, so that's what I mostly purchase. There are several notable exceptions, however, including Escudo and the GLP blends (the latter of which is at least available in larger than 2oz tins).

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
I smoke mainly tins for several reasons, I'm yet to notice (at least in the UK) bulk tobacco being better than tinned in both price and quantity. Tins are really useful, and well I believe if I order tobacco from the states If its bad I can send tins back for replacement, with bulk it won't get through customs. Trust me one needs to order from the states, so one can get some of that American Cornell and Diehl tobacco - I myself am waiting for about 8.5 ounces of some of that gold.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I bought my first G&H in tins.. found what I liked and now buy bulk. I always save tins so when I need to dig into a jar I just reload the proper tin. mostly Bosum Cut Plug and Top Black Cherry. Use to buy C&D Autumn Evening in tins bu this winter switched over to bulk. I guess the answer is both/depending/etc

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
My tin purchases typically go straight to my cellar, but for the tins I do open I will then store in mason jars. My bulk blends go into mason jars as well, so if there is a blend I enjoy in bulk I buy bulk over the tin as its cheaper and its going to end up in a mason jar anyway. So the long way around the question is I buy both, but will buy bulk if I can.

jon39

Might Stick Around
Dec 16, 2013
Thanks a lot that helps. I think I'll find some Blends I like and then see if their available in Bulk.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Both. Bulk is a fine bargain, and I enjoy laying in quantity that I store in jars. However, I feel tins tend to be

more enticing. ....I try to label my canning jars of tobacco

clearly in various type faces to add to their appeal.
This.
The appeal of a blend is multidimensional. I love tins for the opportunity to sample. Once I have found something worth devouring, I want to have it on hand whenever the desire arises. Thus, a pound is better, and more fulfilling, than a meager tin. Does typeface, or ancient lore, or the tidal pull of Jupiter effect my desire? Only my hairdresser knows for sure.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
What I like comes mostly in bulk, so that is what I buy, however I do stock up on tins when I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.