Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
The Tinder Box at Karric Square in Columbus, Ohio is by far the best brick and mortar shop in the area. The reason for this is the manager, Mike. Mike is an old school pipe smoker and always take the time to discuss / advise on pipes, tobaccos, smoking styles, etc. He carries all the hard to find blends (see Penzance) but only sells them to visitors to the store. He won't ship them out. He does this out of loyalty to his customers. He introduced me to Mastro Beraldi pipes (wonderful!) and helped me select a new Peterson Irish Harp. I have purchased four pipes from him in the past three months (and a mountain of tobacco)and I will always check there first before buying elsewhere! He always gives me an ounce or two of my choice from the bulk blends with every pipe I purchase. He knows what I like tobacco wise and has helped me discover some new favorites. It's also one of the few remaining shops where one can enjoy a smoke inside and sit down for some conversation over a pipe! They sell cigars too, but this place is definitely pipe focused, with the best variety of pipes and tobaccos anywhere within a day's drive. Thanks for everything, Mike!

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That is awesome and so nice that you have a great B&M so close at hand. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The proprietor makes the pipe shop, no question. Pipe knowledge and good judgement in hiring assistants makes all the difference. A pipe shop isn't like managing a convenience store or other shop. It's part of a culture with deep history and traditions. Not many first rate proprietors out there, but there are a few.

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
I should be in the Columbus area next week, I'll have to check in out. I was in Dayton week and there is a wonderful shop there called the Wharf. :puffpipe:

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Depending on how you look at it, my life was either ruined or made better by a great Tinder Box that was in North Randal,Oh. The guy had an irresistible stock of tinned blends and nice pipes. Before him, I was content with Amphora Red and a drugstore pipe. He had a weakness for the ponies and went belly up but not before my life was changed, forever.

Mike S.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
You can still smoke there, Dan! They carry some great pipes too! I have just discovered how good Ascorti pipes are. The Tinder Box has a nice selection of them, so my next Ascorti will be purchased from Mike. My first was an Ebay steal and I am awaiting my second from a "Forums" seller here!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Tschiraldi:
You lucky bastards with a functioning Tinder Box make me green with envy yet I'm delighted for your good fortune.
And, Mike, your comment, "He had a weakness for the ponies and went belly up but not before my life was changed, forever," made me laugh out loud.
Everybody needs at least one Damon Runyon character in their life to make it all worthwhile.
Fnord

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Our Tinder Box up in Tacoma is pretty awesome too. They are hobbled by Washington States ludicrous tax system but still manage to take care of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.