PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltbloodhound

Lurker
Aug 19, 2016
They are selling this crap for 9 dollars for a 3 oz bag definitely not worth it I don't use a pipe I roll my own cigarettes with pipe tobacco since I can't afford cigarettes at 4 dollars a pack...the cigarette burns up in like less than a minute the tobacco is dry and hard to roll since it is so damn dry and not fresh and it is like smoking leaves bc it is harsh worst tobacco ever! buyer beware!

ltbloodhound

Lurker
Aug 19, 2016
Lol I feel ya well Marlboro is up to six dollars a pack here in southeast tx almost 7 but I imagine your seven is prob off brand I understand why do they make it so expensive?

ltbloodhound

Lurker
Aug 19, 2016
I know they are trying to get people to quit...what the point? we are all dying everyday anyway...some people don't make much money but they are addicted so they can't help but to smoke when I get tin star it is like I'm not even smoking so I have to smoke more of it the 3oz bag is gone in two to three days..anyways I just wanted to get the word out about this awful tobacco since tin star is too cheap to have a website I have said my peace later

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
It's 30 cents a pack where I am. I grow my own. The tobacco is free, tubes are about $2.30 per 200. Pro-rating a shredder, tube injector and heat for flue curing works out to about 30 cents per pack.
You can buy your own whole leaf from Whole Leaf Tobacco but then your cigs will probably cost about $1.00/pack. Oh, and they will be far superior to anything you buy at the store.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Tin Star is just one of the many brands of bagged chaff passed off as pipe tobacco to take advantage of a tobacco tax structure that will probably go away very soon. Not only is it nowhere near a tolerable pipe tobacco, it is low-rent garbage of a hobo smoke as cigarette tobacco, as well.
The way I understand it is this: factory-made cigarettes started to be taxed at a much higher rate than all other types of tobacco product, since they were the starting point of the creeping incrementalism toward a total prohibition that the dumbshit slackjaws who inhabit this country fall for EVERY SINGLE TIME.
Cigarette smokers on a budget looked around and noticed that winos, inmates, a few old timers and a handful of boutique tobacco snobs were rolling their own; always had been. Since the tobacco was so much cheaper, even for the good stuff like Drum, people started giving it a try. But the skill level ran from somebody's crusty old gramps in the back of a pickup, bumping down a dirt road in Wyoming rolling a smoke with one hand and shooting coyotes with the other all the way to staring at the papers and wondering how they turn into a cigarette. So the various rolling machines, tube stuffing devices, etc. became popular, and RYO really took off. With RYO now a big business, some of the sellers noticed pipe tobacco was taxed at a lower rate than loose cigarette tobacco. Voila- cheaper RYO tobacco, labeled as something it's not.
Now, don't get me wrong. I understand trying to weasel out of a punitive tax structure if you can. I just don't think the RYO guys have done us any favors by stealing our label for their product. Nothing gets governmental noses a'twitchin' like the smell of money they haven't stolen yet. This mislabeling is only going to accelerate the demise of the multi-tiered tax on tobaccos, which is beneficial to us as pipe smokers.
I've typed enough, so I guess I'll take on the usual devil's advocate and automatic contrarian crowd as they come. Well, except to say pre-emptively, yes, I know many tobaccos were marketed and used for decades as being "for pipe and cigarette", like my beloved Prince Albert.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Yeah, I know what you mean. A lot of the head shops around here do a booming business in RYO, and they have a fairly sketchy clientele. It's weird; for me RYO brings to mind the type of skeezebags you mention, or conversely, old rural ranching types and the wannabe-bohemian pre-hipster poet types of my college days. (They didn't call 'em hipsters then.)

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
You can still get a pack of Camels or Marlboro for under 3 bucks in Mexico City; 50 cents a pack if you want contraband from India.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I have not purchased "American" cigarette brands in a foreign country in a long time, so I don't know what the current quality situation is. However, when I was in tech school in the early 90's, we were told we could cross into Mexico, buy two cartons of Marlboros, and bring them back customs free. Boy, were they terrible! The packaging looked the same, but they tasted horrible and were throat-shredding harsh. We tore one open, and compared it to the filler of a Marlboro purchased locally, and they even looked a lot different. Didn't go for that "bargain" twice!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Last time I bought a pack of cigarettes it cost 50¢. Of course, that was 1983. I was a 2 pack a day smoker and quit cold turkey after having smoked for 12 years. Guess that saved me a few bucks since then. Quitting is easy. You just have to actually want to.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
The packaging looked the same, but they tasted horrible and were throat-shredding harsh.
Good thing I've never smoked cigarettes. Besides I'd happily pay 20 bucks for a topline tin of pipe tobacco than get a free lifetime supply of cigs.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
^^^^That is absolute fact. One of the hardest things for smokers who either smoke both, or transition from cigs to pipes, is to "unremember" cigarette technique when smoking a pipe. Trust me on this one, though- there is no dolt who could possibly be stupid enough to mistake Tin Star for a quality smoking product of any stripe.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
[ But the skill level ran from somebody's crusty old gramps in the back of a pickup, bumping down a dirt road in Wyoming rolling a smoke with one hand and shooting coyotes with the other all the way to staring at the papers and wondering how they turn into a cigarette. ]

:rofl:

You just became my new favorite person on here.That is all.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
Where in the US are cigarettes still only $4 a pack? Whatever, but it's clear that you don't live in the State of Being Taxed To Death New York.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Once the taxation caught up to my preferred ryo brand of tobacco I started looking for alternatives.

This eventually led me to pipes and pipe tobacco.

Learning to derive my nicotine 'requirement' by smoking a pipe w/o inhaling, has been a double edged sword.

I no longer think of quitting everytime I light a smoke, and I feel great about it.

I've quit smoking cigarettes, including my 'beloved' ryo Drum cigs, or in previous eras, Luckies or Camels, Cold Turkey for a year or more, at least 7 times...and some of those times were for 5 years or more.

Why did I ever start again? Well, that's a story for another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.