PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

antipodesman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2011
Vancouver Island
Tin presentation is very important. Some blend names are very clever and bring to mind literary connections or eras gone by. I like tins and names such as Squadron Leader, 221B Black Shag, Frog Morton, Presbyterian Mixture. I prefer a metal tin and lid. Brands such as Cornell and Diehl specialize in unique artwork and names but use a plastic top.
What are your favorite tins and names regardless of content? Does it influence your choice of tobacco?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Here is my current favorite tin art.
grouse-moor.jpg

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
Lawrence, good choice! Although I can't say that I'm very crazy about Sam Gawith English or Balkan blends, they have some very cool tin art.
While tin art is an important part of the pipe smoking experience some of my favorite tobaccos have either terrible tin graphics (Wilderness, for instance) or none at all (McClelland's 5100).
Ultimately tin art does not affect how I choose my smoke. Flavor is my concern.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I enjoy the tin art from the British blenders. Dunhill and especially Gawith. The Art Deco period stuff like Holiday was always a favorite too.

buck67

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2010
Little Rock
I think the plastic lids will actually keep the tobacco fresher that the metal lids. Someone else might chime in with better information......

directshot

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2010
I think the metal lids give a nicer look to the tin of tobacco than the plastic lids... other than that... someone else pop in here.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
The metal tins used by Mac Baren and Orlik (and others) are superior for keeping out unwanted fresh air simply because they are threaded and screw closed. Although I've never had any real issues with the plastic lid the tin itself is more inclined to burst over a time if they are damaged and/or cared for improperly when left sealed.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I enjoy creative names of different blends. My family thought I was kidding about Purple Cow, Bald Headed Teacher, Bowlegged Bear, Exhausted Rooster, etc. Nice to have something intersting rather than just blend ###.
Winton

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
About the only tin that influenced my choice was W O Larsen's Signature . The unusual tin just caught my eye and I am very glad it did! Amazingly done aromatic. That coming from a fellow who isn't often impressed by the nice smelling stuff. Any tin with cool artwork though is fun to have.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Ultimately tin art does not affect how I choose my smoke. Flavor is my concern.
You nailed it Ted, mine too. My last trip to The Briary can be used as evidence.

William, Raymond, and I spent a good 15 or 20 minutes discussing the various tins available, while I had one hell of a time deciding on what to buy. :D
The Grousemoor was given me as a gift.

I love the artwork, but I love what's in it even more.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
It totally influences what I purchase. To date, thanks to Customs keeping me from availing of large bulk orders, I have only bought tins. I'd rather have a little reminder left over than an empty plastic bag if I can only buy the same amount anyway. I'm no fool, I won't get roped into gimmicks or bad quality tobacco but if my choice is down to two well reviewed, equally priced tobaccos of the same style and I can only get one (for whatever reason) I would get the most aesthetically pleasing one. It doesn't hurt to have a great story or an attractive presentation, and that goes for all things in life. Still there are blends whose reputation speaks for itself, nice packaging or not. I like the traditional themes; nautical imagery, fields, and old buildings especially. Something creative would also catch my eye. Metal tins are best, as far as looks go. I don't have experience enough to know the best means of storage.
I like some of the Dan Tobacco tins. Gordon Pym, Hamborger Veermaster, Da Vinci etc.
A memorable name is a must, from a business perspective. It's hard to keep the hundreds of blends straight otherwise.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
No question about it. The tin art on Solani Silver Flake, blend No 660

is top of the list for me, and the blend is a great smoke...
http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/solani/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=15034

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I like that one too, Fred. It's similar if not identical to Solani 633 (except for colour) which I've heard good things about. I bought it over some other VaPers for that tin.
Also on that page, I like the Balkan Sasieni label. It was a factor in my purchase. To me, the look echoes Balkan Sobranie a little. (Not comparing the tobaccos at all!) It just seems to have classic style.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
I am a sucker for tin/ tin quality. I enjoy MacBaren tobacco tins because they are still painted. I also really love the way Maltese Falcon looks. Nightcap also has a really cool label. I am also more apt to pick up a tin that has a cool name i. e. The Solent Mixture vs. mixture # such and such. On that note, WO Larsen Old Fashioned pulled me in partially because of the tin, I am a sucker for anything nostalgic BUT I HATED THAT TOBACCO!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The look of the tin does not come into play when I choose a tobacco, however one of my favorites also comes in a very cool tin. Unfortunately this stuff has been impossible to find and I am down to my last three.
hamborger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.