PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I thought I had seen a thread on Tin Dating a while ago and now I can't find it. Would anyone have this info?

How to read the date codes for Germains, Gawith, MacBaren, Lane, C&D ?

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
With Sam Gawith, about all you can use is the presence or absence of the red color used on the label. If there is red color, they are post 2005 IIRC.
Mac Baren uses a 10 (?) didit code on the back in some cases and in others, the date simply expressed like a date. With the former, the third and forth digits are the year. The next three are the day expressed as a number 1-365. C&D and GLP uses a date like 010115 (Jan 1 2015) McClelland uses a six digit code where the last two are the year.
Mike S.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Under "Latest Discussions" on the forum page, use the "Forum Custom Search Engine". It will take you to a Google link that's been set up to search the Forum. Use it to search for your dating info. It works great.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
The last time I tried to date a tin, she slapped me. Oh... sorry... smoking Royal Yacht... it does strange things to my sense of humor.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
There have been several threads asking the same question, and understandably so. I never could understand what the difficulty would be in stamping the date on a tin, but be that as it may. As previously mentioned your best option would be in doing a search. Although your question didn’t mention these tobaccos here are two links for those that might be interested:
How to Date Dunhill Tobacco
How to Date Orlik Tobacco

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I've often wondered why more tins are at least marked with date stickers or at least a batch number on the bottom. When I get a new tin I write the date I received it on the bottom and start the aging process from that point. It's not an accurate gauge of how old the tobacco is because I simply don't know. It does tell me how long I've had the tin though.

Status
Not open for further replies.